LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Floor pan replacement.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:11 pm 

I'm getting ready to replace the floor pan on my 78 4x4. There is a nice big hole under the gas pedal. The previous owners fix was just throwing more and more layers of carpet over it so the rest of the pan is getting bad also. Not wanting this to happen again I am going to cut most of it out and replace it with steel diamond plate. Then bed line the whole floor pan. My concern is braces under the pan. If they are bad what should I use to repair them and keep then from rusting out also.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:31 pm 

I replaced the whole driver side floor pan with 16 gauge steel plate. Cut out the whole floor forward of the seat and then cut the new steel too large to fit the whole. Then shaped it around the edges to curl it up to fit along the sides. Then welded it to the remaining good metal all the way around it. The hardest part was making the indentation for the cab mount bolt. I finally just did it with a sledge hammer. Drill the hole about half as big as the mount bolt then back the steel on thick rubber. Then pound the hole to make the indentation. The rubber lets the sides of the dent move outward but keeps the bottom fairly flat. When you're done, drill the hole to size and you're done.
It was a difficult job but the 16 ga steel is strong enough on its own so it doesn't flex. Real solid.
I also had the guys who did bed liner on the bed shoot liner on the whole floor of the cab. The results were fantastic - looks brand new. And the heavier steel plus bed liner means it will never have any more problems.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:41 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Braces under the pan like cross braces keeping the frame rails together?