LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Lifted 2wd???
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:19 am 

Has anyone ever bothered?

I have been toying with the idea for a little while, curiosity is starting to get the better of me.

Post subject: Re: Lifted 2wd???
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:38 am 
Addicted to LUV

No reason you couldn't do it if you really wanted to
I think someone on here has a lowered 4wd and a lifted 2wd so you wouldn't be the only one with the strange idea :lol:

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:20 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Bigger than stock tires on the front & a lift is almost a necessity, whether 2wd or not.
Cranking the T-bars also stiffens the front suspension. Using an add-a-leaf in the rear adds both lift and stiffness to better match the front, shackles alone only add lift. Either adds rear sway, shackles more than the other.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:00 am 
Addicted to LUV

The T bars have a limit. You could get a good look at the newer GM trucks with 4 wheel drive They have IFS but do not have T-Bars.... I always wanted to look at them.
The T Bars would be a problem unless you are going to a coil over conversion. That may be the best way to go after looking the way the raise the bigger trucks.

Depends on how high you want to go and what the look you are shooting for.

If it is like a Toyota TRD pre runner it would be cool.. Son and BIL have both of those. BIL cab and a half, son with a crew cab...

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:34 am 

Thanks for replying guys.

I guess i'm shooting for a prerunner stance but nothing too extreme. I don't want to cut guards straight away, but i will if i have to...

I have a hot little dz302 and a 4 speed for it so im pretty sure i wont have any issues turning tall tires. I also already have several different height coilovers to try out, im pretty sure the torsion bars are going regardless. I guess ball joint angles will probably the main factor.

I have a 8.5 rear end from a 1970 camaro to get narrowed once i decide how wide and i've been thinking about running the spindles as well. I'm pretty sure i can get a chrysler screw in upper ball joint that fits (howe k772) and the stock lower ball joint fits into the spindle but i will need to run it upside down so may need some minor fab work on the lower arms. I've already got wilwood rotors and calipers for front and rear so if can use this gear and not have to buy anything i'll be happy.

I haven't mocked it up yet to see if its going to be possible, just wanted to put it out there and see if anyone else can see any more problems that i've missed.

Cheers, Matt