LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: wiring question.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:42 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

I'm in the middle of doing an ignition system swap as well as completing an engine swap in my 72. I looked at the wiring diagram and that didn't help me at all. There are 3 wires coming out of the main harness that look like factory wires that are connected to a Mallory coil. 1 wire to the neg side of the coil. 1 wire to the pos side of the coil and 1 to the ballast resistor that eventually makes its way up to the pos side of the coil. The diagram is too hard for me to read but I am wanting to know which one of these is the + wire from the ignition switch to the coil mainly but what are the other two wires?

My goal is to get a # 12 wire in place of the Keyed on/off to the old coil run it directly to the HEI and eliminate the old lawn tractor battery sized coil and ballast resistor. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: wiring question.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:48 pm 
Addicted to LUV

There is a wiring diagram in the info section of the site. I can tell you that the stock LUV set up in the start position the coil power wire is cold, when returned to the run position it's hot. There is another wire that is hot in the start position that by passes the balast for a hotter spark for start up.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:09 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

I did look at the diagram you are referring to. Its a complicated mess that I couldn't make much out of. I am assuming the wire that runs to the ballast resistor is the one that is hot when the key is in the run position and also is the bigger size. The smaller one that directly goes to the positive side of the coil is for the points and should only be hot while the key is in the start position. Does this sound right? There is also a green wire to the negative side of the coil which I am assuming is a ground?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:33 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

I pulled out the wire I thought was the one I needed to hook up the HEI and replaced it with a #12 wire and ran it to the B+ on the HEI. I Have power with the key in the run position but no spark to the plugs. I don't normally get stumped by something this lame. I guess I pull it out and start over from step #1.

Last edited by 75 V8LUV on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:34 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Luvrv8 wrote:
There is a wiring diagram in the info section of the site. I can tell you that the stock LUV set up in the start position the coil power wire is cold, when returned to the run position it's hot. There is another wire that is hot in the start position that by passes the balast for a hotter spark for start up.

FIAA!

SFPP!