LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:57 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Inside fenders cut off and make them bolt-on setup. If someone has done that LMK. Is it worth the trouble if you are going to do a different engine swap? It might be easier to fab mounts and such. Or do i need to leave them on to check clearance?

I do not want to remove the cab if I do not have to. That would let me know how the transmission would fit with the cab on.
Makes think of early 50's Chevy-GMC trucks the inner fenders were removable. I have not looked at one in a long time to remember how it was done.

I removed them on a Chevy Early '55 truck when a put a Pontiac engine and tranny in it. No kit to do anything like that back then for any kind of v8 swap.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:41 pm 
Addicted to LUV

My core support is stock, my fender wells are stock and I can install the V8 with or without the trans bolted up. The fey is to make a removable trans cross member. It took me a couple hours to do that, time very well spent.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:17 am 
Addicted to LUV

Ok. Just wondered. I guess if I can pull a V8 engine and stab it back into a late '70 Van and transmission too I can do it on a just about anything. I admit some big diesels in big trucks were a 3itch to get out.

But I most likely will go with a 260 HP turbo 4 cylinder from a Pontiac Solsticae or a Saturn Sky Ecotec(same setup) is the plan, or a 2010 or up Camaro V6 or the same Cadillac engine. Depends I what I can find for a reasonable $$$
I have missed out on a couple of deals, but pop has to save up some money first. I do have a n/a ecotec n/a to see how that fits.Not quite the same no turbo. a LSx engine looks good but I am out of my comfort zone there. Maybe not.

The turbo and supercharged ecotec engine are a hot swap engine, but I think the supercharged engine could be a tight fit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:23 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Secure a piece of .120 thick strap 1" wide. Drill .312 holes every 2 or 3 inches. Weld it just under the ledge where the fender bolts on. Drill the holes thru the inner fender pannel. Then trim the inner fender well out flush with the cab, radiator core support, leaving a 3" by 1" piece on the bottom to bolt the bottom of the new fenderwell and along the bottom of the strap. Use nutserts to make it easier to R & R. We also use nutserts when makeing removable trans tunnels, narrow calking bead to seal. Fabricate new aluminum fenderwells, usually only a couple of bends, remember to clear the shock mount. For a great look polish the aluminum. Lots of work to maintain the polished look thou. However will give you something to do every week end.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:07 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Sounds like something I could do. Nothing that needs polishing. :)