LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:02 pm 

I was curious if anyone experienced any problems with their modified rear suspension by the CHP, California specifically. Is there any legal/safety issues with changing the suspension from the two leaf springs to a trianglated-four link with coilovers? I am interested in driving to the drag strip and want to resolve any issues before getting pulled over: possibly a notarized/verfied inspection, etc...

Was initially intrigued and troubled when I read this past topic about his modification to his pitman arm and the comment by dezrik about four link suspensions.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=23941&p=183338&hilit=chp#p183337
dezrik wrote:
lol, thats one way to build a drop pitman arm! As far as i know the only thing thats iffy when it comes to home built stuff is linked style suspensions, really only because any highway patrol can deem it unsafe for the highway and impound your truck. (Ive worked at a offroad shop in california)

What Is a 4 Link. Digital image. Http://autotech4x4.wordpress.com/4-l/. The Twenty Ten Theme. Blog at WordPress.com., n.d. Web. 8 Sept. 2014.

1975 Luv, Street-Strip Build: in progress

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:41 am 
Addicted to LUV

California is a weird state on what you have done. Manny years ago my mom got stopped by a LEO and was given some kind of ticket on emission, it failed a road side stop. She had to have it fixed and take it to a "inspection" and have it checked. It passed. My step dad adjusted the carb and it was fine. BUT it was a V8 installed in her Ford Falcon, before they put a v8 in them. Mid 1070's He was a mechanic at a truck shop. I am surprised they did not say something about that. I do not think they had yearly state inspections like we do in Texas. I don't know what they do now.

Be glad you are not in Australia. They have real problems with a modified anything. Some states here you can not change the height of the bumper but a small amount.

Does your setup have a Panhard Rod on it. I thought they had those to prevent side to side movement of the axle. I guess you could call that a 5 link setup.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:42 pm 
Addicted to LUV

PM sent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:37 pm 

I was under the impression that a Panhard bar is only necessary when using a parallel 4 link suspension. It controls, like you said, the side-to-side movement of the axle. I haven't started construction on the suspension just yet as I am down at Cal Poly studying Mechanical Engineering. The options I have in mind are the triangulated four link or parallel 4 link with a Watts mechanism. Thanks for the input! I know, California sure is wonky when it comes to regulations. Didn't want to insight trouble from CHP just for being ignorant of the laws.

1975 Luv, Street-Strip Build: in progress

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:07 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

If you were a cop, and saw a vehicle side tracking at speed on the freeway, you'd do the same. It was'nt safe at speed with other traffic. I am surprised that whoever built that did not have center lock. The few that I've built, we put them on even for off road only. Although if the unit ran out of oil, then a jack and some muscle would be needed to get it centered to lock it.

I'm concerned on why a triangled 4 link for racing. Reason being that due to the angles any movement of the rear end in relation to the frame will cause binding in the link ends. You'll notice that ladder bar, 3/4 links are parallel. This eliminates any binding and allows free movement up and down. Triangled bars are used mainly for street applications with coils.
As to your question on panard bar, it's not really needed because the trianglation keeps the housing centered. Generally only the high performance and police factory cars would have one.
On parallel ladder bars, Z link, 3 bar and 4 link systems a Watts link is best expecially if street driven and minimal tire clearance. A triangle bar from the right rear lower bar to the left front bar is used quite often. A wishbone is a great way to control the side movement albeit a little more dificult to fabricate and not really for street use.
Panard bars actually move the rear axle left or right thru thier travel, so definitely check tire clearance up and down. The height of the bar at frame and at housing is important. Longer length of the bar equals less movement.