LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:54 pm 

so heres my issue... i have talked to and read up on numerous conversions for five lug on the chevy luv. i want to get away from the torsion bar setup on my 79 luv mikado longbed and have been told i can use only a 1983 s10 spindle and or swap the entire subframe out and use a whole 83 s10 subframe but no other years will work. i dont care whether or not i go to rack and pinion and yes i wouldnt be opposed to it but i am swapping in a vortec 4.3 and 4l60e in the next couple months. And i have seen the aftermarket suspension control arms but mine have a single arm and not tubular v style.... Please any assistance and verification on what is possible would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

check out my work at the link above. luv truck work and all motorcycle builds. also luv 1.8 and manual 4 spd for sale needs head gasket and timing set. look for my ad in the classifieds

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:40 pm 

If you are handy with a welder.
Your best bet would be grafting in a S-10 clip.
The parts are readily available and they are cheap!
The 4.3 will fall right in as well.

As far as I am aware.. The S-10 is pretty much the same. 1982 to 1993
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_S-10

They only thing that sucks is, the lower control arms and brackets makes swapping out to a v8 with large tube headers a pain.
You can buy fenderwells or make your own.

If money really isnt an object.. Do a Mustang II front end and have every option at your fingertips :wink:

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:45 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Many here have great success with making new mounts for coil over shocks for the front end. There are bolt in mounts for the small block and Aerospace makes a 5 lug conversion or a member here can redrill your hubs for 5 lug.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:59 pm 

Yep, Aerospace is a valid option.. They will run you close to 800.00 when done.
ChevyToyR1 is a good guy too. (I owe you a set of traction bars now that I have a LUV.. No charge :))
It all depends on what you want to spend and what your skill level is.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:29 pm 

so as far as the mounting of the motor and the trans im not worried. im pretty damn good o fabrication and welding plus ive found all parts needed except trans crossmember for the 4l60e. ive been building and fabing cars and bikes for years and there is a couple sites and companies selling ls swap mounts for the 4.3 and i did find out that with any luv year make or model the s10 mounts will bold in place of the standard stock luv mount location. but you have to buy the ls engine mount brackets that are adjustable from stock to 1 1/2- to 1 1/2+ to allow for motor placement and clearance.

so where can i find the post or place on doing the coil over fronts bc i can fab that. all im looking to do is be able to get rid of the torsion bars for exhaust clearance and also bc this truck is going to end up as a dd with 9" wide front tires and 15" wide rears bc we are narrowing the chassis for 17" wide fitment and using a 78' 4spd camaro rear end with traction bars and new 3.73 posi lock gearing due to a trade.

also for anyone here who can point me in the direction of finding aftermarket wiring and performance parts for the 4.3 vortec i would be in your debt. luckily the only reason i so chose the 4.3 and 4l60e is bc im getting the ecu, motor, trans, and wiring all from the same wrecked vehicle for $500 and if built correctly should be in the 450-500hp range with a massive hp to weight ratio and it should run like a champ for everyday driving. just by using the 4.3 instead of a 5.3 youve had a motor weight reduction of close to 200lbs.

Attachments:
File comment: my 79' Luv Mikado
178242_502405689777589_1249713139_o.jpg
178242_502405689777589_1249713139_o.jpg [ 196.87 KiB | Viewed 4721 times ]

check out my work at the link above. luv truck work and all motorcycle builds. also luv 1.8 and manual 4 spd for sale needs head gasket and timing set. look for my ad in the classifieds
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:56 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Here is one, there are others you just need to do a search.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24371&p=178773&hilit=Front+coil+over+shocks#p178773

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:42 pm 

all s10 frames where the same from 82 til 04. there are couple things to keep in mind though. 4x4 frames were diff from 2wd. 1st gens had different bumper mounts from the 2nd gens. 2 gen 4 door blazers had fully boxed frames. also the s10s had the same front clip design as the older b body cars. monte carlos, el caminos, cutlass, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:06 pm 

You can build your own crossmember.
I mostly build racing stuff but here is an idea to get you started.

The bars is 1-1/4 solid stock.
I've had them on 615ci BBC's with over 1000 fp/tq (Travis from s10 dragracer)
You can slide the crossmember forward and back enough to use any tranny combo.
The bar locks with the round clamps.
You can also raise and lower the crossmember as you can see..

Just an idea what you can do..

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:54 pm 

that is kick ass!!!! i think ill end up making a crossmember myself too and thanks for the idea in design. as far as the front suspension goes i like the idea of the coilover i just need to figure out what weight/rate springs and how long/tall they need to be. that and make some slight design mods for the sway bar. As far as the brakes i have no clue what im going to do yet... i have one guy working with me on the truck that actually built a luv back in the day and he said i could swap the entire spindle, caliper and rotor out directly with a 1983 chevy s10 and its a direct bolt up with no mods straight to 5 lug. well atleast thats what he said he did but had explained that no other year lower or higher would interchange and had used drop spindles. but thanks to all of you, youve been a huge help!!!