LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Where is Center Point
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:31 am 

I'm putting in a coilover front suspension in my 79. I didn't measure where the center point was for the spindel before taking everything out. Has that been documented somewhere on here, or does someone have the exact measurments (tip of frame to mid=point and possibly body mount to mid-point)? I guess the real question is, where is the center point of the front wheel? Thanks in advance for the help.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:24 am 
Addicted to LUV

Are you changing a arms/spindles as well?

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:49 pm 

Yes, everything is new, just need to know where center is so the cross member can be welded in the right place.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:11 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Try looking in the info section on this site, it has the frame measurements and wheelbase measurements.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:25 am 

Luvr8, I attempted to search, but didn't come up with anything that would work. I found a .pdf that shows the measurment from wheel to wheel, but I need to know where the center point would be located on the front wheel.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:17 am 
Addicted to LUV

I guess I don't understand what you are asking. I have done many frame off on several types of cars. When I re install the front end, I just get the wheelbase right and let the allignment shop do the rest.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:01 am 

This is not a "re-install". I brought the frame and new IFS to a guy to install. The IFS is a coil-over set up that I purchased from Scott's. I got rid of all of the old frontend parts (my fault), so we can't put it together to see where the center would be. I may have to put together a picture to explain what I'm trying to get. I really do appreciate the help.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:02 am 
Addicted to LUV

Best bet is to reinstall the cab/fender, and set it where you want it. Going off a measurement of a truck that old that may have been tweaked at some point would be a PITA after the front stuff is welded in...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:49 am 

Thanks mytmouz, That is what I was afraid of. Looks like I will have to load it up and take it to him so we can mount it and get it right the first time. Better to measure twice and cut/weld once. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:30 pm 
Feel the Steel

Plus, I am figuring, like me, that no one really wants to be responsible if they give you a measurement and it is off on your truck. :esurprised I know it is a pain but you better set the cab back on to get it right.

RIP R.J.B.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:56 pm 

Hey Batch- thanks for responding to my request for a progress update on your IFS/IFS setup in the build section. I'm off tomorrow and could get you the measurement you request, if you want. That said, I agree with the others; it seems like your best bet is to mock up the new setup on your frame with the body set on it. This would take care of any variables that may exist between frames and how your unique front end might need to be mounted up. Let me know if you still want the measurement though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:23 pm 

phowie50, the measurements would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:49 pm 

hi batch,im putting a ifs in my 75',so far not much to go by,where did you get your ifs?what brand?most tell me to hack 1 or get a mustang 2 front clip,thanx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:55 pm 
Addicted to LUV

We know what the wheel base and track width is on the stock truck. What I did with my truck when I made the back half frame is made my wheel base and track width with chalk marks on the ground under the frame. My idea for you would to locate where the rear axel was located stock. I know the body is off but by measuring from the bed mounts on ther rear of the bed, then along that line measure where the middle of the wheel opening is. Now take the measurement to the frame, with the tape from mount to mount you know from the bed where the center of the wheel opening is mark that on the frame. This is a starting point you then can locate the front suspension by the wheel base.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:25 pm 

Hey Batch - I measured 19" from the front of the frame rail to the center point of the front wheel on my truck.

If you don't mind me asking - what measurement info did you have to give to Scott's for them to fab up your front and rear ends? Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:42 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I mentioned before that I live about 2 miles from Scott's Hot Rods, if anyone needs help with them I can stop by.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:08 pm 

Luvrv8 wrote:
I mentioned before that I live about 2 miles from Scott's Hot Rods, if anyone needs help with them I can stop by.

Thanks for offering. I've been looking at shops for front IFS setups from shops nearer to me in the northwest (Jim Meyer and Art Morrison). But, if this setup works for Batch, then I might consider it too. I'd like to keep my truck drivable for the few sunny months we get here though, so probably not looking to bite til fall.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:51 pm 

Thanks phowie50, hope the info I sent helped out. I have a stupid question...are you sure 19" is the right number? I want to be sure. (measure twice, weld once). :) Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:07 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I measured 18" from the front of the frame to the center of the lower control arm that is very close to the center of the spindle. My truck is a 74. So now you have conflicting numbers I think it's best to set the cab back on to get it correct.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:06 am 

I remeasured driver and passenger side. Driver side is 19" and passenger side is 18 1/2". I measured from the front of the frame to the center of the mounted wheel. This is a little different than Luvrv8's measurement points. My measurement points are more likely to be skewed by my alignment - the shims could push the center point of the wheel forward or backward.

All that said - if your shop is relying on the measurements I took on my 35 year old truck to install a custom IFS setup correctly on your truck, I might question their ability to a) do it correctly and/or b) stand up for the quality of their work when they are done. I could be wrong with this assumption, but it crossed my mind so I thought I'd put it out there.

Again, if I had put out the time and cash to get the awesome setup you got, I'd use luvrv8 and my measurements as a rough idea for placement, but do a mockup with the body on to make sure it turns out right. Best of luck and please post up pics when you get it together.