LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Torsion Bar Problems
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:46 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

i lowered the front of my truck as much as i could without having it rub the fender, and when i lowered it i just loosened the bolt for the T bar, and i did it while it was on the ground instead of jacking it up everything five minutes to see where it was at, anyways, when i drove it, i found the inside of the rim was rubbing on the upper control arm, so i jacked my truck up, and found that when i jacked it up the bolt actually stuck out alot and was loose enough to where i could undo it with my hand, so i tightened it so it wasnt like that, and raised it just enough to not have a rub, but its not nearly as low as i want to go now, i think if i cut just a little bit off the control and with a cut off wheel that will be fine, but what do i need so the bolt doesnt get sooo loose? and i am trying to do it the cheapest way i can but not have it super sketchy to drive. Thanks in advance. OH AND BTW, MY TRUCK IS A 78 2WD is that matters...

Post subject: Re: Torsion Bar Problems
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:01 am 

Pictures would help.................

What size wheels and tires are you running................

Cutting the controls arms isn't recommended unless you know what your doing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:22 am 
Addicted to LUV

If all you have to do is trim the edge i think that would be ok . I would start with some loctite on the torsion bar stuff . If not i have all the parts to replace yours .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:50 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

The t-bars can be re-indexed so that there is tension on them at the new lowered ride height, sounds like you have lowered the truck until there is no tension left on the t-bars as they are currently indexed, which would leave the adjusting bolts loose.
Did the rims hit the UCA before lowering? If so you're probably trying to run the wrong tire/rim combo.
Drastic lowering will cause a similar change in camber angle. If this is what is causing the rubbing a proper alignment should stop the rubbing and make it drive like it should. Get the ride height where you want it and an alignment before trimming on the control arms.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:43 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

it didnt rub until i lowered it, the wheels i have are 16 inch, but i talked to my friends dad and he said if i get new tires, that are 185. 60. 14's he could lower it alot more, so im gonna have him hlep me out with that, but thanks guyys!