LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:16 pm 

Hey everyone I have a 1975 Chevy LUV and want to do the following.

Swap in Honda S2000 engine(f20c) and trans
do a Independent rear suspension setup(r200/ford 8.8/350z diff)
Custom frame(2x3 or 2x4)
S2000 disc/hubs all the way around
most likely coilover setup but not against bagging it as long as I can retain performance of my plan

now I would like to do it all myself or with minimal help. Please keep your negative thoughts to yourself unless its constructive. I am not trying to be a ass at all so sorry if it comes off that way.

what I was wondering is if anyone who has built their own frames could jump in here and give me some pointers and help on how to measure everything for proper placement.

ok more details

I want the ride height to be 2-3 inches. I would love for it to be lower but I CAN NOT do that unless bagged because of the speed bumps where I live.
obviously with a coilover system I could adjust it which I would do but I couldnt adjust it for every speed bump you know.
I would want to make custom adjustable upper control arms so I could fix camber/caster for front and rear.
I have no clue on the measurements of the frame and as of right now I DO NOT have my truck or the engine right in front of me you know. I have to go get them and tow it here.
once thats done I could take measurements but that would waste time and I know that someone on here is gonna be nice enough to share their knowledge.
ok moving on.
I'll have to get custom axles made for the rear and still would have to even if I used a complete s2000 rear end. Because the rear tire track is wider on the s2000 than on the luv so custom axles it'll be.
Dan on here did an amazing build on his luv and I would actually like my truck to sit frame equal to the pinch like his does on page 10 before he cuts his rocker and does the body drop but not sure really how he did that. but obviously be 2-3 inches off the ground I actually wouldnt mind the rame being 1/4-1/2 a inch below the pinch because I would hate to hit the rocker. I would rather hit the frame first.
I am short so a body drop like dans wouldnt bother me none.
One thing I have not decided on is the placement of the engine. I am not sure how far back I want it or forward but I believe I want it as far back as possible without hitting the firewall and I also would prefer to not have to cut the firewall up either. Unless I make a custom one.
I am gonna be running no bigger than 18's and if I did my math right the tire would be 17 or18 in the rear with no more than a 26" tall tire and 16 or 17's in the front I believe 24 or 24" tall.

correct me if I am wrong and if I am please explain why but for the rear frame if the axle is setup to be as straight as possible the center of the rear rim would be 13(roughly) depending on height of tire but going off 26in tall. and I would have to compensate for the axle thickness so if I laid frame I would need the rear frame(bottom of it) 14 or so inches off the ground so the axle doesnt hit when lowered right?

but how do I figure out the front and how far apart the control arms need to be? I figured at least the same as where the upper and lower ball joints go.

now onto the frame.
can I make the entire frame out of 2x3 3/16" thick tubing safely? and I am hard on cars and will be possibly taking it to road courses
or will I need to use 2x4 to be safe?

there is more but it will come out eventually.

PLEASE ANY IDEA'S OR HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED THANKS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:10 am 

So as of right now I have a f20c jdm trans jdm ecu and harness.
when I go to pick up my truck I will be buying a s2000 cluster and chassis wiring harness.
oh yeah also a r200 rear end with axles and driveshaft.

the real question is do I try and build the stock frame around the engine and suspension I want or do I start straight out making a custom frame.
well Im off to start going through wiring and schematics to figure that part out. and also find out what sensors and smog things I can take off the engine without affecting performance

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:07 pm 
Addicted to LUV

i know a lot of the bagged guys used 2x3 square tube for the frame. if your worried you will break or warp it add some gussets and supports where it will see the most flex and distortion or go 2x4 for those areas

axle width (for my 4x4) is in the 57-58" range wheel mounting surface to surface maybe slightly less on a 4x2 but close to the same.

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:26 pm 

yeah the track on my truck(according to the stock dimensions) is 52.5" and the s2000's is 59.5" so a decently sized difference lol
yea ive been googleing like a mad man on everything and man my brain is fried. I am torn between modifying my existing frame or spending the extra on the materials to build my own but honestly leaning more towards building one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:03 am 
Addicted to LUV

building one gives you the freedom to adjust where things sit like the fuel tank so you can add a little ballast in where its needed to get it to handle just right and you can make your suspension work for however you want to drive it, im assuming your probably going with 4 wheel coils and such at a ride height that low, bags would be pretty cool too but it would really suck to blow a bag during an autox event, but like you said speed bumps are killer for slammed trucks
i know how you feel on the brain burn out, there are just soo many thousands of pages of information out there to pick thru especially when it comes down to custom work and swaps :eugeek
how much did you find an engine swap for?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:43 am 

well this is the second time I started this build to be honest. I started it years ago and then ran into tough times. I had already purchased the engine and trans for I think like 3500 before with low miles but I had to sell it and my truck has been sitting in cali all this time. So now that things are better I am starting over. Found a killer deal on a swap(engine/trans/ecu/harness) for $1500. then I found all four disc from a s2k for $600 shipped. Found a s2k cluster for $200 and the same guy has the entire s2k chassis harness so I am gonna get that too. I have not gotten the disc's or cluster yet. Gonna get the cluster and harness when I go to calil to get my truck which should be within a month and a half. just waiting for free time and taxes would be nice haha. the s2k needs new rings but shit thats nothing so I will be re-building it also. oh yeah also a 300zx r200 IRS setup with axles and driveshaft for $250.

oh yeah I am going to attempt to get it so it is close to the same weight ratio as the S2000 is but I doubt I will with everything I want to do lol

and yeah I really like the coil idea but I need to find a good sight for custom ones

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:40 pm 
Addicted to LUV

with the 300zx rear you can find some coils that will work with it if you want to fab up some towers for them. front end maybe some qa1's those are the only one i have seen used a lot and well documented

i cant wait to see how the dash comes out looking with the s2k gauge cluster.
the stock one has a cool shape but there just isnt enough info in front of you about what the engine is doing.

s2k is a great choice for an engine.. makes a TON of hp per liter... 9k rpm... 250hp from 2.0L ridiculous (from the jdm) i think it still holds the record for most stock hp from a 2L n/a

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:41 pm 

I will look up those coils. just looked and I am quite interested in them so I will deff look into them more.
yeah I still havent figured out exactly how I am going to do the dash but since finding a dash pad is gonna be very difficult I am going to leave the basic design but I am going to probably fiberglass the current one since my windsheild is already out. the hard part on the dash for me that is, is going to be the heater vents. I dont have any real idea's on that yet

and yeah I am pretty sure it is still the most hp per liter engine in a car under a certain amount.

Last edited by Savageluv on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:03 pm 
Addicted to LUV

you can buy a dash cap off ebay for $70-80 that sits on the top and has the vent inlay and such and then u can fiberglass the front of the dash around the new gauge cluster.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:20 pm 

love4theluv wrote:
you can buy a dash cap off ebay for $70-80 that sits on the top and has the vent inlay and such and then u can fiberglass the front of the dash around the new gauge cluster.

those coils are nice.
nah I'll leave the ebay caps alone and i will find a way but yeah Ive seen those caps on there. its more the front vents I am worried about. I have all the factory vents still and I think I will have to keep the pass side one cuz it goes with the glove box so I would think id want to keep the driver side one too but it wouldnt go with the s2k cluster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:41 am 

So I have been racking my brain on what cluster to use in my truck. So I have been researching and researching on ones that will work the f20c's factory sensors. and for sure I found 2, the s2000 and a RSX cluster. well the rsx cluster I was thinking of taking apart and placing the two lil gauges in a different location. and build a custom casing. Now I am thinking the rsx cluster for a few diff reasons and one being its 1/4 of the price of the s2000 cluster and also it looks like it'd fit in the luv style wise a lot better. but then I also found a cheap hud display on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADD-OBD-2-II-HU ... f0&vxp=mtr

I do not know if it would work with the sensors and such AND I dont know how well I will be able to see it in bright light and it gets very bright in my area.

I will attach pics of the s2000 cluster and the rsx one and I will redo one of the rsx redone the way I was thinking of putting it in the luv

RSX cluster below

S2000 Cluster Below

opinions???

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:37 am 

here is a quick one I put together. I dont like where the turn arrows are but you get the idea.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:18 pm 
Addicted to LUV

that looks pretty dang good
what are you thinking about doign with the turn signals?
maybe add a gauge in that space where they are now?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:02 am 

I'm digging the RSX mock up you did. I'm really interested in seeing how this build turns out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:27 pm 
da LUV masta

Your mock up looks sweet. Very in line with the original. Best of luck.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:15 am 

sorry guys been away a long time i moved and have not been able to get my truck to me she is still a state away.but i sourced a new one here in az and hopefully can get this thing rolling

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:49 pm 

so I have had to change my game plan on the s2000 engine due to a few different reasons one is that my original truck in in ca still and not with me but I have purchased a new 76 for 300 running and driving. So now my current plans are to swap in a VG30DETT from a nissan 300zx. It is a V6 that is twin turbo. I have already procured the engine and trans and ecu all I am waiting on to start is getting a cherry picker. I am going to cali this weekend to visit family but I am not grabbing my other luv I am just grabbing the valance and a few other parts from it for my current one. then I am gonna pull my civic apart to rebuild the engine for turbo then once its back together and I am no longer driving the truck I will be getting that engine in my truck hopefully I will have updates shortly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:02 pm 

I have a dual cam KA in my luv. My buddy has a datsun with a f20c boosted running 430+ hp. I plan on going SR or boosting my KA. Or if i could find one, an RB.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:21 am 
Addicted to LUV

For the effort i would boost the snot out of the k/a everyone builds sr20s the ka has 20% more displacement and plenty of aftermarket support. Rb is an anchor those things weigh as much as a sbc. How much power are you aiming for?

And a vg30dett is going to be intense in a luv 8O going in basically as stock or are you messing with it before it goes in? stock would be plenty :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:42 am 

well as of right now I have to finish up my civic which is getting built(b18c1 block,balanced b18b1 crank,eagle h beam rods,wiseco pistons and more) I just need a few more parts and while the civic engine is in the shop I will be driving my truck with the original engine but once the civic is back on the road the truck will be going under the knife. But sadly yes I will be putting the engine in stock form until down the road. My civic should be 400-450whp and I am hoping to get the truck to 5-700rwhp but closer to 7.