LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:31 pm 

I searched this forum as well as other JDM forums with no luck on this topic. I have in my posession an NOS LH Fender Mirror and mount hardware for an Isuzu KB20. Since there is already a rot hole right where the mirror would go on the fender, as well of the fact that I am a big fan of vintage JDM and Datsuns, i am considering doing a conversion to a fender mounted JDM-type mirror setup. i looked through the state law code that states vehicles in PA only need one rear view mirror anyway, but was just wondering if anyone knew if this is at all legal? I have seen JDM mirrors in the US before but i want to double and triple check everything before i make the conversion. Normally i would ask my mech but he is an hour away. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:57 pm 
Addicted to LUV

im not 100% on that but i know my buddys 720 only has a driver side mirror and the regular windshield rear view and he has had no trouble with it. i like the look of the KB and Faster mirrors on the fenders
have you tried calling the dmv to see if they know anything about it? it makes more sense for them to be farther forward than on the door, the angle is better for a view of your blind spot
take a look at an isuzu Florian... u may see an awfully close comparison to a certain truck u have seen :lol:
http://www.carsablanca.de/Bilderstrecke/isuzu-florian
now if only i could find one as a mirror/bumper donor...

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:26 pm 
Addicted to LUV

In Cali, and I think in most states.....you must have a left outside mirror......and either a right outside, or a center (inside rear view) mirror. If the view out the rear is blocked (and this means because of your load, trailer, tinted window etc) you MUST have the right outside mirror.
I do not know about the location of the outside mirrors IE on the fender or on the door.

Last edited by rondog on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:18 pm 
Addicted to LUV

In my previous profession the law pretty much said that a motor vehicle was certified to federal motor laws and that vehicle had to meet the federal laws to be certified. The letter of the law was that where ever the mfgr's placed all safety items is where they must be kept. But there is the letter of the law and the intention of the law, it's up to each peace officer to interpet what he wants.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:22 am 

I had fender mirrors on my corolla, never had an issues with the police.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:37 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

I run a mirror on my fender because I often remove my doors in the summer. Never had any problems. (in Colorado.)