LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tie rod ends
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:26 am 

I ordered some 1 1/4" 1 1/4 inch tubing and some beefy 7/8"-stud rod ends (sealed, metal on metal, zerks) and end adapters with the plan to try and uprate my steering (tie rods and center link). Has anyone done this? Obviously I'll have to drill to make the adapters and larger end studs fit, but anything else I might run into issue-wise? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Tie rod ends
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:21 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Is this a Daily driver?

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:58 am 

mytmouz wrote:
Is this a Daily driver?

For now it's a daily driver.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:35 am 
Addicted to LUV

Reason for asking is the spindles are hardened fairly shallow and when you ream out for the larger taper, you will get past the hardened part. Fine for a racer, but you might want to consider that in your plans...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:01 pm 

mytmouz wrote:
Reason for asking is the spindles are hardened fairly shallow and when you ream out for the larger taper, you will get past the hardened part. Fine for a racer, but you might want to consider that in your plans...

Thanks, I wondered about the spindles. From eyeballing it, they seemed like the one attachment point where 7/8" studs would be taking out a lot of material. Once I get it apart, I'll know more, but I thought about either sizing down the tie-rod end studs on a lathe for the spindle attachments or going OE rod ends at the spindles only.

Anyone else have thoughts or gone through this, please let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:02 pm 
Addicted to LUV

A mid 60's chevy II has the same diameter and taper as the stock inner size, might try one to see if it fits the spindle as well. (I have the chevy II inners on mine, but I fabbed a bump steer kit for the outers as I am running mustang II spindles and Willwood rotors. I don't remember now what I used when I tried to run outers, but the taper was different and did not match up. Didn't notice it until the toe changed when the wheels touched down on the first test pass...)

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:36 am 

mytmouz wrote:
A mid 60's chevy II has the same diameter and taper as the stock inner size, might try one to see if it fits the spindle as well. (I have the chevy II inners on mine, but I fabbed a bump steer kit for the outers as I am running mustang II spindles and Willwood rotors. I don't remember now what I used when I tried to run outers, but the taper was different and did not match up. Didn't notice it until the toe changed when the wheels touched down on the first test pass...)

Thanks. I plan on running 7/8" taper adapters that came specific to the taper of the rod ends I got. I don't think drilling a 7/8" hole for the adapters will remove too much material in any linkage point other than possibly the spindles (as you say). I'll look into Chevy II ends for the outer tie rods if this ends up being the case.

The whole point of this mod is so the steering is adequately tough to support the stick of 8-10" slicks on the front during cornering. If I end up weakening a connection point, then it was all kind of pointless.