LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:19 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Ok a few eeks ago I swapped the headlights on my 72 from 4 to 2 and used the low beam connector for the new lights. I still had high beams after the swap. However my drivers highbeam had been out for a few weeks prior to the swap.

Now that it is dark I need to drive at night more so when I popped off the fuse cover and touched the fuse block the highbeam came on. I notice that the number 1 fuse (which the cover says is the headlight switch) looked like it had been touching the fuse block and looked like it had been hot and melted where the fuse was touching the block. I touched it while the lights were on and it was quite hot. So for some reason that fuse is sitting there cooking. It hasn't blown but I am worried about the heat and its effect on the wires. I checked the headlight switch and did not feel any heat there.

Any ideas? is the headlight swap the issue? I searched here before I did the swap and did not see any warnings posted. I am a mechanical guy and electrical is not my thing. Any help would be appreciated. Everything is working but just one fuse getting too hot to touch.

8)

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:22 pm 
Addicted to LUV

My '76 always had problems with the headlight fuse getting hot. I've also seen several melted fuse boxes at the junk yard for the same reason. Our site fuse box article shows the same problem. http://www.luvtruck.com/pdf/Fuse_Box_Repair.pdf

I would chock it up to a design flaw. However, anywhere in an electrical circuit that doesn't have good contact will generate heat. So if your fuse contacts are dirty or corroded, it will make it worse than the normal factory overheat. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:37 am 
Addicted to LUV

Thanks for the info Ben. I remember some electrical issues with the 76 I drove in the 80's and seeing the melted fuse block had me worried. I may refurb the fuse block in my parts truck and swap it out. The how to article is excellent. 8)