LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: S10 Frame Swap
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:48 pm 

I have been doing some research and its so much easier to find frames in good condition for an s10 than for a luv without having to go all over the place to find one. Has anybody done an S10 frame with a Luv body? if so could i see some pictures and the dimensions on where you cut.

Post subject: Re: S10 Frame Swap
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:19 am 
Addicted to LUV

dimed_out31 wrote:
I have been doing some research and its so much easier to find frames in good condition for an s10 than for a luv without having to go all over the place to find one. Has anybody done an S10 frame with a Luv body? if so could i see some pictures and the dimensions on where you cut.

i would stick with the luv frame. stronger than an s10's
a meember here has a luv body on a ranger frame/chassis so im sure you could do an s10 if you really wanted to

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:37 am 
Addicted to LUV

Im not 100% sure , but you would probably be the first one to take a fully boxed frame with 7 crossmembers out and put a C channel frame in . More than likey no instructions on it .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:44 am 
Addicted to LUV

i agree.. the luv frame is incredibly strong i would highly recommend keeping it and doing your modifications to it

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:14 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Unless your frame was like mine, mine was rusted out, and my old little luv 4 banger was going bad and it was in need of a new clutch and lots of other little things. And I wanted to do a diesel swap. I thot there were members on here that had them on S10 frames. Ive seen one on a toyota frame, a teen boy had it down in Post Falls, Idaho. But i doubt its running now tho. There was a Youtube video of one but i cant find it now.

I did the luv onto the ranger frame just because it was me and my dads thing. and Cuz my buddy roled his ranger and I got it for cheap. But ill tell you now, it has been none stop fabing to get everything to work.

Im rebuilding the whole truck.

Parts were really hard to find for my luv, having to special order everything from napa sucks.

I dont think the bed would of fit right with the rear wheels of the ranger. The ranger was a long box tho so, a short box may fit. I never did put the bed on because i was always gona put a flatbed on mine.

If you were gona do a frame swap, id do a toyota frame swap. but a old straight axle toy. That would be the best for a frame swap.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:20 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Most luv frames as well as toyota frames rust out right before the rear tire where the frame goes up because there's no way too drain it. I think the older trooper frames are the same as the luv's might to move the cab mounts to fit but the drive train is the same. Luv frames have alot of holes in them that mud dirt and water can enter and get trapped. I'am going to drill a large hole at the low point of my frame and wash all the junk out then weld up all the holes. Stay with the Luv frame if you can.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:41 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Here are some pics of some of the frame work the guy is doing to my LUV. He hasn't worked on it a quite a while, but he is planning on getting back to it this Winter. I am not sure yet how it will all turn out, but I will certainly post pics when it is all done. He cut out the front end of the frame and welded in the front end of the S10 frame because we are going to put the 4.3 in it. The last couple pics he put the cab on it to see how it would look. I am sure there will be some more modifications needed to the frame before it is all done. This is a 4x4 LUV and I believe the frames are a little different on the 2wd trucks. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:28 am 

yeah my frame is in pretty bad shape. it has a huge rust hole right behind the cab before it curves up and i haven't gotten the cab off yet to see the rest of the frame. i'm hoping it isn't nearly as bad but the guy that had it before me lowered it and getting under it is a pain in the ass. but i got it on stands today and motor and cab should be coming out by next week. if its as bad as it seems i'm probably going to salvage the front suspension dimensions and build a full frame from the firewall back but we'll see next week.