LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:26 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I am going to blast and paint my frame under the bed, it's got a nice even patina of dry California rust (just a light rusty surface scuz, no rotten areas what so ever), if I were still in California it would probably be fine forever as is but now that I'm in a wetter environment I want to seal everything up to prevent future rust issues.

I removed the bed with no issues, I will be sand blasting all of the rust off and will paint it with a good rust proofing primer and finishing it off with a good quality black paint, of course I'll be pulling the fuel tank for a clean out and replacing all of the rubber lines and wear parts visible after paint.

I don't really want to pull the cab but probably should so I can hit all of the frame, Can anyone detail the steps involved? The engine and trans are already out as well as the seat and floor mat.

Thanks!

Attachments:
Bedless Luv Fuel Tank.jpg
Bedless Luv Fuel Tank.jpg [ 272.26 KiB | Viewed 7070 times ]
Bedless Luv Front.jpg
Bedless Luv Front.jpg [ 235.16 KiB | Viewed 7070 times ]
Bedless Luv.jpg
Bedless Luv.jpg [ 233.1 KiB | Viewed 7070 times ]
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:13 pm 
Addicted to LUV

There is really no step by step guied to do it. Pull steering shaft, dissconnect brake lines, electrical anp pull the mounting bolts, it took me about an hour after my motor and trans was out. Before doing this kind of work you should get a factory repair manual.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:28 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Thanks for the input, I have a manual but it's pretty vague in some areas. Not much about working on this truck has exactly been rocket science, but being a Mopar guy (never worked on a LUV or any other Isuzu or truck) I figured I'd ask to see if there were any nasty suprises assosiated with cab removal

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:29 am 
da LUV masta

I did it completely by myself using an engine hoist - which I don't recommend.
It looks more finished having the complete frame painted, but I'm not sure that it was worth it.
You may want to consider building a roll-around frame to set the cab on once you remove it.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:49 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

swet4more wrote:
I did it completely by myself using an engine hoist - which I don't recommend.
It looks more finished having the complete frame painted, but I'm not sure that it was worth it.
You may want to consider building a roll-around frame to set the cab on once you remove it.

I did the same, and would highly recommend getting some help. I used furniture dollies from Harbor Freight to put it on and be able to roll it around. There are 6 main bolts, two by each door and two at the radiator that hold it to the frame. Like LuvR8 said, just check to make sure anything that would be attached to the frame and the cab is disconnected then slowly raise it up. Once you verify all is disconnected, it comes right off. You might take the doors off to make it a little lighter, but other than that, pretty straight forward.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:21 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I'm going forward with it, I have a good place to set it and a friend to help me get it off, no big deal.

One quick question, what is the easiest/simplest place to disconnect the brake lines from the cab to the frame?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:24 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Harms Inc. wrote:
I'm going forward with it, I have a good place to set it and a friend to help me get it off, no big deal.

One quick question, what is the easiest/simplest place to disconnect the brake lines from the cab to the frame?

There should be a disconnect on the driverside behind the front tire on the top of the frame. Remove the bolt and cover then unscrew the line. If I was home I would take a pic and show you, I can post it later tonight or tomorrow though if you haven't found it.

Chad

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:45 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Well got it off without too many hang ups. Here's the short list of what I did:

*Remove front marker lamps from bumpers
*Disconnected the brake lines at the junction block and each wheel
*Disconnected all fuel hoses
*Release all of wire harnesses from the bendable tabs on the frame
*Removed all (6) cab to frame mounting bolts
*Disconnected the steering column from the box
*Run a strap under the front frame cross over (the one under the radiator) and lift it with an engine hoist
*Place cinder blocks stacked on each side in the rear with the holes facing the inside of the truck
*Use a floor jack with a wide soft wood pad on the lift point, slide it under the truck from the rear and lift cab slightly
*After the cab was up a foot or so I slid a 2 x 4 through the lower holes in the cinder blocks accorss the underside of the cab to give the cab a resting point while I repositioned the jack for a higher lift and repeated with a 2 x 4 in a higher hole in the blocks. I repeated this several times in order to get the cab high enough to allow for the rolling chassis to be pulled out from under it.
*After rolling the chassis clear I reversed the jacking process to lower the cab close to the ground for better stability while I clean up the frame.

Attachments:
Luv Lift Cab.jpg
Luv Lift Cab.jpg [ 211.43 KiB | Viewed 6950 times ]
Luv Lift C.jpg
Luv Lift C.jpg [ 154.13 KiB | Viewed 6950 times ]
Luv Lift A.jpg
Luv Lift A.jpg [ 229.86 KiB | Viewed 6950 times ]

Last edited by Harms Inc. on Mon May 30, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:48 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Here is the chassis

Attachments:
Luv Lift B.jpg
Luv Lift B.jpg [ 211.44 KiB | Viewed 6949 times ]
Luv Lift C.jpg
Luv Lift C.jpg [ 154.13 KiB | Viewed 6949 times ]
Luv Lift D.jpg
Luv Lift D.jpg [ 195.51 KiB | Viewed 6950 times ]
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:05 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Im over here out of Priest river, Id. not to far from spokane! Looks good! I lifted my cab off with the farm tractor! haha worked great! i pulled the doors and the fenders so i wouldnt take the chance to put dents in them. My cab is not really rusted up at all, just surface rust for being a Chevy luv bot brand new in spokane! its nice when you buy it and look under the seat and its got a binder full of receipt's and oil changes and all stuff done to it. Thats the last thing you can think to find. haha heres my project!

Attachments:
lights.jpg
lights.jpg [ 7.55 KiB | Viewed 6946 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:39 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Cool truck, come over and visit sometime, I can never use too much help on my heap :D

*Check out my wanted list in the clssifieds, maybe you know where some local parts stashes are?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:24 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Haha, i gota to much work to do on mine! and thanks, Well i heared pull&save had a couple luv's i really cant tell you if is true, but when i went by there a month ago it looked like there was a couple there, but dont take my word on it! :lol: there all over, you just gota look, they were really comin here and still are, when you start lookin its amazin on how many are still kickin around here! Im always lookin! never ending battle! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:35 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I live less than a mile from Pull & Save, not much left on those, picked to the bone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:32 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Well it's been a while since I've had some other distractions, back on track now! I finished sand blasting the chassis to rid it of any and all surface rust then painted everything with "Neverrust" (basically a rust prohibiting black paint) then topped it off with another coat of black enamel. I think it came out looking great! I am now pulling off suspension parts and rebuilding/detailing them as I go, when that's done I'll be mocking up the rebuilt engine and Trooper 5 Speed trans for the new cross member fabrication project.

Attachments:
After Paint.jpg
After Paint.jpg [ 172.8 KiB | Viewed 6767 times ]
After Sand Blaster A.jpg
After Sand Blaster A.jpg [ 157.7 KiB | Viewed 6767 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:34 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Wheels will be painted the original white after I get the tire pulled off, black is just a rust proof primer.

Attachments:
After Paint 3.jpg
After Paint 3.jpg [ 341.79 KiB | Viewed 6767 times ]
After Sand Blast C.jpg
After Sand Blast C.jpg [ 299.56 KiB | Viewed 6767 times ]