LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:41 pm 

i have the chance to buy a 2.2 and 5-speed for 200 bucks, has anyone done this swap into a 74 luv? it is hard? is it even worth it? what would i have to do to use the fuel injection, do they make a carb and intake that would work on that motor.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:58 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Is that an actual US-made GM engine, or is it the one made by GM/Holden in Australia? If it's the Holden engine that was used in the Isuzu Rodeo, it has a bad reputation.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:22 am 

its out a a 1998 chevy s10 2wd pickup

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:38 am 
Addicted to LUV

bkirsch wrote:
its out a a 1998 chevy s10 2wd pickup

I saw that, it's pretty much what the subject line says. But was there a US-made 2.2, or is this the AUS GM/Holden 2.2? Good sources tell me that Holden 2.2 is junk. But wikipedia says it's a VORTEC, so it may be a different engine from the one used in AUS.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:07 am 

im not sure it came out of a rin of the mill s10 2 wd nothing special, just wondering if it would be good replacement motor for chevy luv, and what kind of work it would take to put it in with the fuel injection. im using the truck for daily driver (74 chevy luv 2wd ) im looking for something that i can get in and drive everyday along with getting good mileage, i can just get carb for motor i have now but with the 4-speed man it doesent go down highway very well at speed. looking for an easy swap that gets good mileage. i have a 600 horse built 383 in garage with 400 tranny i was thinking of putting in but it would not be daily driver.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:54 pm 
Addicted to LUV

it is the american GM version and as far as i have heard they are a solid motor, shouldnt be difficut to swap into a luv and would give you considerably more power and that 5 speed will be a blessing :lol:
to go efi you will need the engine, ECU, wiring harness and a high pressure fuel pump. plus the misc odds and ends, some modified motor mounts to get the engine in. etc

it wont be a bolt in and go swap but if you have good tools and a bit of know how it would be worth the time to swap in my opinion.

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:16 pm 

i have never put a fuel injected motor in a truck, how hard is wiring up the ecu and computer and all that? the metal working is not a problem but never delt with fuel injection being put in non fuel injection vehicles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:41 pm 
Addicted to LUV

bkirsch wrote:
i have never put a fuel injected motor in a truck, how hard is wiring up the ecu and computer and all that? the metal working is not a problem but never delt with fuel injection being put in non fuel injection vehicles

are you pulling the engine, with trans, ecu, wiring harness etc???
if so it wont be any trouble at all, will go in the same way it came out. bolt in the engine and trans, find a dry spot for the ecu to be mounted and re connect everything where it was disconnected and it would be like the engine never left the s10 in terms of running and driving.
people get easily intimidated by the idea of an EFI system because all the electronics and wiring seems really complicated. but honestly if you dont know what the workings of the system are... just plug it all back in where you found it and you'll be golden :lol:

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride