LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:38 pm 

The dash on my truck was junk so I ripped it out and now I'm tired of looking at the ugly metal skeleton. I'm looking to see what any of you guys have done to make it look a little better. Any pictures or ideas you guys have would be great. I'm thinking of just covering mine with some fabric but I'm not sure yet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:44 pm 
Addicted to LUV

cadams02 wrote:
The dash on my truck was junk so I ripped it out and now I'm tired of looking at the ugly metal skeleton. I'm looking to see what any of you guys have done to make it look a little better. Any pictures or ideas you guys have would be great. I'm thinking of just covering mine with some fabric but I'm not sure yet.

i did the same thing... and now that little metal edge that sticks out about a half inch scares the hell outta me! im thinking about using a bit of expanding foam to make a rough shape, cut and shape it to what i want and throw some fiberglass over it. or you could use fabric. build to suit your needs and abilities. if your just looking for a cheap easy "make it pretty" fix i would say use a bit of that "great stuff" expanding foam or something similar let it take its shape and dry off.. razor and sand it down and then put down some adhesive and fabric. to help smooth out the look. would look a bit smoother than fabric over sheet metal and its only a few bucks

if i have my way i will end up re doign the sheet metal and replacing the gauge mounting area, removing that shelf and glove box and making something totally new

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:49 pm 

I think I have figured out what Im going to do. Im going to try to pull the whole metal dash out and put some good expanding foam over it and shape it like the original dash. Im debating on fiber glassing it and painting it or just cover it with some type of fabric. Then I'll try to spot weld back in. Im hoping this will come out good and look as factory as possible. Its going to be awhile before I start the project but once I do I'll be posting the progress.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:01 pm 

I saw a luv that the guy yanked the vinyl part and cut a flat piece of particle board for the top and screwed a 6in piece to the front of the dash and installed autometer gauges.it looked like a 80s 90s camaro/firebird dash. and covered it with auto carpet. or you could do it like the speakerboxes for custom stereo speakers(build a basic frame,stretch fleece material over and staple in place,then soak in fiberglass resin) should look pretty sweet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:00 pm 

a few months ago i called justdashes.com and they said they can make them. i believe they said around $700. But i haven't bought one yet or checked closer to make sure they were correct.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:23 pm 
Addicted to LUV

topgun1_2_3 wrote:
a few months ago i called justdashes.com and they said they can make them. i believe they said around $700. But i haven't bought one yet or checked closer to make sure they were correct.

HOLY HELL!!! $700 sounds pretty steep
you could pull it out put in some brand new gauges, fiberglass it & get it all working for less!

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:06 pm 

topgun1_2_3 wrote:

I have seen nos/new aftermarket dashes on ebay for $499.00 and thought they were crazy.
he!! I didnt pay that much for either of my luvs.lol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:28 pm 

yeah i thought they sounded high too. but i hadn't found a place for factory style dash so i just called them. the price was the main reason i hadn't bought one yet. but if your wanting true factory replica/replacements sometimes you have to break down and buy it or just make do with good enough.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:39 pm 
Feel the Steel

JohnDriver wrote:
I have seen nos/new aftermarket dashes on ebay for $499.00 and thought they were crazy.
he!! I didnt pay that much for either of my luvs.lol

Hence the fact why no one makes them. People SAY they want one but wont pay what it takes to make one and nobody is going produce them for a loss. If your truck is worth it, you will pay it. I know I would but then again, I dont need one. :ebiggrin

RIP R.J.B.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:57 pm 

yeah im just hoping one will come along cheaper while im waiting to save up the $700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:10 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Exactly Tilted! That is why I have been very hesitant to jump into getting them made. If it would be anything like the intakes, 3 times as many people say they want one, but when it comes down to it, many don't end up taking one. And I haven't seen a dash go for $500 on eBay in years. I bought mine 2 or 3 years ago and I paid over $800 for it. Good luck if you happen across one under $500, it would be a steal!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:26 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Some said I was stupid for buying one of the aussies dash at the price I did. Think about it, I had a 3 stage paint job with pearl, tubed my truck, put in a 406 engine, all new interior and new convo rims. I would say I would have been stupid not to buy and install one after all of the work I put into it. Yes it was 700 bucks, but I could have done a complete make over of my truck minus a dash and all of the other work would have been over looked if someone had seen the torn up dash.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:16 pm 

Luvrv8 wrote:
Some said I was stupid for buying one of the aussies dash at the price I did. Think about it, I had a 3 stage paint job with pearl, tubed my truck, put in a 406 engine, all new interior and new convo rims. I would say I would have been stupid not to buy and install one after all of the work I put into it. Yes it was 700 bucks, but I could have done a complete make over of my truck minus a dash and all of the other work would have been over looked if someone had seen the torn up dash.

Yeah I agree with you. When my luv is done and one would come along I would definitely it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:39 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

I had heard the Aussie dash wasn't even overly wonderful and it was a little bigger than the original. It isn't crazy though to pay that much if you really want it. It probably won't make the truck more valuable, but then again most of us have probably already sunk more into our trucks than they are worth in the blue book. You could spend just as much on a set of tires and rims or whatever. I only spent $800 on my dash so I could have a brand new original to possibly use for manufacture of new ones. If I never do that, well then I have a perfect dash someday for whichever one of my trucks deserves it!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:42 am 

a company called stockinteriors.com has a plastic dash cover. my dash is toast and cracked and i am hoping that this cover will seal down solid. it isn't cheap, whether you check this site out or two others that i saw. but the foam material of the dash is crumbling and i need something. if you find a different solution other than replacing the whole apparatus , let me know. ellen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:21 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Try Dashtop.com I put one like this on one of mine years ago and looks great $100.95.