LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Weber Carb upgrade
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:05 pm 
Hey I was wondering if anyone has ever put in one of those 32/36 DGEV carbs and what you think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:44 pm 
Addicted to LUV

2 Words...DO IT! Just make sure your intake gasket and any vacuum lines are leak free. Spend the same amount of money and get a stock Hitachi? Or get a far better Weber that has better performance? Humm...Let me think...WEBER!!!!!!!

What do Water, Electricity and Humans have in common... They all travel the path of least resistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:27 pm 
I have to agree with Blue on this one I had a Hitachi on mine and it ran like crap....... I ended up buying a used weber from one of the VW places here and it was a world of difference on the performance of mine........ if you consider what the performance is of a stock 1.8 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just my two pennies
Later
Husker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:09 pm 
Wonderful... thanks for the feedback guys. Now I have a bit of a technical question....

I saw a DGEV or two on ebay and I was going to bid on one. The thing is I usually like to talk to the seller first just to make sure that the application would be correct for my 79 LUV 4x4 1.8. This one guy said the carb he was selling was a Weber 32/36 DGEV but it wasn't a Holley-Weber. He said the application was for a Toyota 20-22R. So now my question is this... is there a difference? I thought that ALL weber carbs were same according to model number (i.e. all Weber 32/36 DGEVs are same regardless of application) and the only thing that changed according to the car you had was the intake manifold adapter that came in the kit. Is this true? If so, I should theoretically be able to buy ANY 32/36 DGEV and just buy the kit that fits it to my LUV, right? Thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:00 pm 
Addicted to LUV

There are jetting requirements for each application. I dont know the difference between these motors if there is any. You might try and find out on the internet to see. I think it would work.

What do Water, Electricity and Humans have in common... They all travel the path of least resistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:48 pm 
Addicted to LUV

There are also some differences in the fittings. Like the 32/36 for my trooper has the fuel line connection on the opposite side as the same carb built for a LUV. There might also be different ports for vac, or for stuff like connecting to the evaporative emmisions canister. None of it a really big deal, but the correct application makes it that much easier to install.

Typically, you always need an adapter plate to bolt to the intake that the Weber will mate up to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:00 pm 
OG Lifer

The 32/36 dgev is a great carb. I hadn't started my truck in almost a month. I went out the other day and tried to start it. On the second try, it fired right off, and idled like it was new. Easy to work on those webers too.

WATCH YOUR PIEHOLE!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:51 am 
i have a weber 32/36 carb on my toyota, it's a great thing. a bit loud though, since it sucks a lot of air, but hey, it adds personality :D

a 32/36 should give better gas milage but better performance, since the primaries and secondaries are different sizes(hence 32/36). it does great for normal driving, but when you mash the pedal it lets out a nice ballsy roar and accelerates quite nicely :)

oh, and almost forgot to add...it gets rid of a lot of emissions spaghetti. i looked at a vacuum diagram for the stock carb on my truck(came with the weber when i bought it), and it would have given me nightmares if i ever had to fix something. with the weber there only seems to be about 4 or 5 hoses coming off the carb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:54 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

the weber is a good carb but there is something to watch out for on them they tend to suck dirt in past the choke rod. i had one on my rail last year it sucked a whole bunch of sand past the choke rod and caused the throttle to stick wide open when i got to the top of the hill. it got interesting for a little bit. it might not be as bad in a regular car. but with the engine mounted by the tires my engine saw alot of sand come through that hole enough to damage the pistons and liners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:48 am 
Addicted to LUV

I actually took mine off because I got tired of the sucking air sound. I was doing a lot of freeway driving and it really made quite a bit of noise up at 80-85MPH. Next time it goes back on the truck it will be wearing a hat and hose hooked to a bigger and more remote filter.