LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:12 pm 
Well its official... my 79 LUV 4x4 now has power steering :D I haven't gotten a chance to road test my handywork just yet (on account of a leaking gas line :x ) but driving it a few feet here and there you can DEFINATELY notice the benefits. When I bought the truck it came with a tiny Grant steering wheel on it which, as I'm sure all of us LUV'rs already know, made slow corners or parking a real test of upper arm strength.

Anyway, I know now how to do it and I have to say, its really not all that hard if you know what parts to pick out of a doner vehicle. Thats the part that robbed most of my time in this project, ripping out the wrong parts at the junkyard for over 3 hours with hand tools and driving 45 minutes back the next day to rip out the right ones. Then of course having to go back yet again because I forgot that the pump and reservoir weren't going to float in mid air and they needed brackets.

So basically I'm posting this for a couple reasons: one because I'm excited as hell, two because no one else I know really cares, and three I wanted to make it easier for you guys out there who want to do the same thing. What do you guys think, is there enough demand and curiousity out there for me to write a step-by-step piece about how to do the conversion? Or should I just answer individual questions on this thread and via e mail if anyone has any for me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:22 pm 
Addicted to LUV

tell us what you used. alot of guys on her would like to know. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:32 pm 
Sure thing, bcg...

First and foremost, ALL parts I needed came off of an 86 Isuzu Trooper (with the round headlights) that had the 2.3L 4 cylinder G200 engine.

Parts that I took from that vehicle:
-Steering Gearbox w/Pitman arm* and U-Joint from steering shaft**
-Lines (high pressure and return lines)
-Reservoir (make sure it has the black rubber seal and filter inside)
-Power Steering Pump w/ "V" belt pulley
-Bracket (1) for reservoir
-Brackets (3) for AIR PUMP on driver side of engine.***
-ALL bolts for everything I took off (proved to be a VERY smart move)

*Make sure you know the size of your Pitman arm. I found that the 86 (and possibly earlier Troopers) had the correct size for my LUV whereas the 87 and up were too short.

**The steering shaft on the Trooper is notched at the end and the notch slides into a U-joint unit. It is this U-joint unit that has the splines at the end which fit onto the steering gearbox. You MUST take this U-joint unit, the flexible coupling on your LUV will NOT mate up to the input shaft on the Trooper box. I had a guy at the yard cut it out with oxy-acetylene.

***The reason that you're taking the brackets that hold the air pump on the Trooper's engine is because the power steering pump is on the passenger side. On the LUVs, this is where our distributor is, so the big bracket that holds the pump can't fit there. This is why we have to use the air pump bracket to hold the power steering pump on our LUVs.

For most of you, once you have these parts in your garage you'll be able to put it together after modifying the brackets a bit. When I say modifying I don't mean welding... I don't own a welder and I got through this whole project without needing one. I mean you may need to drill a hole here and move the alternator bracket there, but thats about all. This should be good enough to get you started and I will post more in depth stuff as you ask it. If you need, you all can even e mail me at BEETLEVH@aol.com. In the subject line put "LUV Power Steering" or something so I don't think its spam. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:09 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Thanks for the info. This is a subject that would make a great article for the site. If you ever feel like documenting your swap in detail with pictures and creating a whole article, we would gladly post it on the site for others to read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:28 pm 
by any chance would u know if this mod will work on a luv that has had engine transplant. or yes it will work but i have to get a powersteering braket and pump for what ever engine i have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:25 am 
Addicted to LUV

your the man, man :lol:
i've always wanted to do power steering but no one on here was never sure if it would work right. now since i know now i plan on doing as soon as i got the cash. thanks i'll contact you if i run into any problems :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:59 am 
Hey, no problem, Ben... I'll get started on taking those pics. Only problem is that I should have taken the pictures of each individual part as I was doing it but I didn't. :oops: So I guess I'll do the best I can with those. But the article you definately will have ASAP.

ChevyToyR- On a LUV with an engine transplant you're right... you're going to need the power steering brackets from that engine. Lets say its a Chevy 350... you might be able to use the brackets off the 350 and mate them up to the pump from the Isuzu. On the other hand most power steering pumps (unless we get into VAPS and stuff like that) are very similar, shooting in excess of 1000psi of fluid pressure. So basically, you might even be able to use the pump from that 350 or whatever car it used to be in and mate it up to the Isuzu gearbox. You'd have to get lines for it somehow though. My suggestion would be to use the brackets off of the 350 or whatever you have and then fit the Isuzu pump to it. The reason: Its the correct pump that was made for that particular gearbox, so the pressure and even the line fitting threads will match up to the gearbox without having to possibly have a custom line made. On top of that, making the pump fit on 350 brackets isn't expensive (like custom lines), means you don't have to worry about pump/line/gearbox compatibility, and its relatively easy.

As for the gearbox, if you plan on making heavy suspension mods with the engine transplant you'll have to make sure it will still fit in there. Rule of thumb with this conversion is this: if your standard LUV gearbox and Pitman arm setup still work well with your modifyed suspension geometry, then the Trooper conversion will too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:19 pm 
ok thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:32 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Thanks a ton for listing this info.....it will help me a great deal!!! Ijust got the truck and think I am dying from having to wrestle the steering wheel around......LOL

SunDown=spoiled

thanks again

Jason

stock 72 Citroen DS19

Post subject: power steering
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:44 pm 
this is so cool i love this site about 1 1/2 years ago i found it and no one else had done power steering so i logged on with my dads account "corvetteman43" and told all you luv guys and now i finally check back and bam every one has done it awasome at least you guys didnt make the mistake i made before i relized all the tie rod stuff was the same i had a pitman arm cut and welded to work with the stock luv stuff lol hey it works though :D ps anyone doing any resurch on dropped spindles besides me , i no you just torque down the torsion bars but i want to ride nice at the same time im tired of being on the bumps let me know

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:11 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I'm doing this conversion right now. I've got the steering stuff out of both my 79 4x4 and an 86 Trooper.

So far I've verified the following:

- The inner/outer tie rod ends are 100% the same
- The steering gear box mounts the same

I'll get pictures before I go much further. I want to clean things up and figure out what high-pressure hose and mounting brackets I'll need.

-DK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:37 pm 
Banishment Pending

Thank you BeetleVH!!!!! I have been wanting to do a power steering conversion since I got my Luv, but I wasn't sure what would work. thats for giving a list of the parts needed, I think that I shall be doing this conversion sometime this summer!!!!! by the way could you give us a rough estimate on how much this all ended up being? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:14 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Just a note on the above.

The motor that was in that Trooper was a 4ZD1 2.3L. Not a G200.

You could get a 2L G200 powered Trooper with power steering. The pump for the steering bolts up under the alternator.

If you get all the lines and brackets the lot should lay in your luv like its meant to be there.

Chasing parts for Isuzu Impulse.

Post subject: conversion aborted
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:54 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I ended up aborting the power steering for now.

I'm in a hurry and the bracket I got from a PUP didn't let the pump fit correctly.

-DK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:49 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

rodeobob wrote:
You could get a 2L G200 powered Trooper with power steering. The pump for the steering bolts up under the alternator.

If you get all the lines and brackets the lot should lay in your luv like its meant to be there.

News flash, the pump wont fit off a G200 Trooper. It has to hang out too far forward and hits the front crossmember above the sway bar. Too much modifying to make it fit.

Im going to try going the route suggested above with the 2.3/2.6L pump.

BEETLEVH, any chance you could sort out some pictures for me???? :wink:

Just a note on the 350 pump etc. I doubt that pumps vary much with the pressure they deliver, im sure a workshop that deals with reconditioning this sort of gear could tell you. What does vary is the pulleys. Make sure that if you use a pump off an Isuzu on another motor that the crank pulley you use on the motor is of a similar diameter.

Cheers, Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:20 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

so just to sum up this old azz thread how many people actually finished this ps mod and if we can get the pump used nailed down so his can be acurate 'who is thinking sticky?'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:55 am 

Just to throw in a little extra here is the Interchange for the gear box....

1984-1986 Isuzu Trooper

* 1984-1984: 4Cyl 2.2L DIESEL, FI, VIN "S" Base
* 1984-1985: 4Cyl 1.9L Gas, Carbureted, VIN "A" Base
* 1986-1986: 4Cyl 2.2L Turbo, Diesel, FI, VIN "U" DLX
* 1986-1986: 4Cyl 2.2L Turbo, Diesel, FI, VIN "U" LS
* 1986-1986: 4Cyl 2.2L Turbo, Diesel, FI, VIN "U" LX
* 1986-1986: 4Cyl 2.3L Gas, Carbureted, VIN "L" DLX
* 1986-1986: 4Cyl 2.3L Gas, Carbureted, VIN "L" LS
* 1986-1986: 4Cyl 2.3L Gas, Carbureted, VIN "L" LX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:00 pm 

Dumb Question.... Which port on the gearbox is pressure??????? I got a gearbox off of an 84 Trooper but he didn't mark pressure/return....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:00 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

On the steering box???? Or the pump????

Hove you got a hose in/on it still???

Bob.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:14 am 

This is for my vortec swap.... I need to know what line is pressure on the gear box. I think its the inner but need to know for sure.