LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:20 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Congratulations of your success on installing your truck power psterring.

I have mentioned before that it is possible to use the steering box off of a square headlight 87+?) by having your old pitman arm machined to fit the newer box. Here are the part numbers and casting numbers for this steering box that I have been using for the Luv-Chevy V8s I have been doing lately.

Casting number-Z12082R
Serial number 6127
Tag number-441-00106
JIDSHA KIKI CO LTD

The Chevy power steering pump number is ATSCO #7023, this is available from Auto-Zone, Kragens, Chiefs, Star, as well as a lot of other parts hoses. The cost is $47.00 exchange and has a $7.00 core charge. This is a complete pump with housing.
I also have had several power steering hoses made up for this conversion, both pressure and return as well as the aluminum adapter plate that I've designed to mount the p/s pump directly to L side head. This works for short water pumps only. although I suppose you could space it out for a long pump?

I haven't priced these out lately, I am having some more lines and brackets done this week so I will be posting the costs soon.
I do know my brackets are going to be less than the others I have seen priced at $75 and up. My bracket does it all too, no other parts needed, just bolt it onto the head, the adjusting slot is machined into the bracket also.

I am having problems getting my pictures to come out on this site, I can transfer them onto e-mails, but not here. Anyone have any ideas, I admit I am "older than dirt" and not computer literate but I really would like to be able to have them shown here!

Thanks and good luck on your p/s project, I love hearing how others are doing it!

dusty-scjconv pinkertondusty@aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:41 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

In regards as to which port is the supply and which is the return port, look carefully at the back of the steering box, the side right above the steering shaft and you will see two markings or arrows, one shows an inward arrow, the other is outward.. You may need to look closely to see them, but you are right, the upper or higher port, the one closest to the firewall is the input-high pressure port, the other is the return.
I make a power steering bracket and the two lines that will fit a sbc pump to an Isuzu steering box, both for less than $100. in case you are interested.
I will forward pictures of these to Ben, since I can't seem to be able to transfer them to this site.
Just for interest I believe the steering box from any 82-87 Isuzu Pup will interchange with earlier Luvs! However your old steering pitman arm will have to be machined to fit the larger steering box shaft. this costs a $100. at a local machine shop that I use. For pictures or more information contact me at my regular e-mail site, pinkertondusty@aol.com.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:13 pm 

was this conversion done on the 1.8 engine?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:25 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

No, sorry.

My power steering adaption was to a Chevy small block. There are several good articles about installing power steering on the stock 1.8 engines, good luck,

scjconv

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:19 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I've a suggestion for those installing P/S on a sbc-Luv swap. The easiest although not neccesarily the cheapest is to use a "Sweet" manufacturing racing power steering pump. These pumps can be readily found on e-bay for $50-250. I bought mine used for $85 which included the pump, mounting bracket, lines and reservoir.
The pump uses a remote reservoir and is so small you can easily mount it to the two lower bolts right above the sbc pan flange on the drivers side and it lines up perfectly with the outer pulley of a two pulley set! And the one piece bracket is made so it can be spaced out to fit either long or short water pumps. They have adjustable pressure relief valves, but will usually be just fine no matter what the settings. The settings are between 1,000 to 1,500 PSI so be sure to use lines with adequate pressure ratings.
Mine came with Russell Custom lines which were easy to connect from the pump to the reservoir, and to and from the steering box.
Wish I could post pictures, but can't seem to get the hang of photo bucket, so if you wish to have some personally sent contact me at pinkertondusty@aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:58 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I've done the Trooper ps on my 80 4x4 luv with a 2.3 engine and it was very easy to do and worth it's weight in gold in my opinion, Will be doing one on a dana 44 up front on my other luv with rack-n-pinion and I will be taking pics. This truck will have a 427 sbc in it and I want too be able to control this truck as much as possible and will be getting my stuff off a 2001-2009 full size chevy( they work great).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:31 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Hey Smokey!
This sounds like a great swap! How about taking and posting pictures of the build? Love to see how you do it! I built a 427 Chev and installed it into my 72 Bronco a few years ago, had a Dana 44 front with a Ford 9" trac loc in the rear, they held up very well.
Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:35 pm 

hey i am doing this swap right now. so the pitman arm on an 86 trooper is the same as my 80 luv? is there anything i should make note of while i am doing this swap?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:49 am 

What rack did you use for this?? Awesome job!! Thanks for posting

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:55 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Just a thought, if the pitman arm is too short, couldnt you swap in a later correct length idler arm and get it wheel aligned best as possible to make up for the steering arms on the knuckle/stub axle being too long. (thats an assumption about the steering arms as i havent checked it)

I realise that if the pitman arm/idler arm are too short you may not get full lock.

Chasing parts for Isuzu Impulse.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:22 pm 

Just thought I would update some stuff for you guys wanting to do this swap. These gear box's are in other vehicles not just troopers. Rodeos and some other isuzu like vehicross. There was nothing that old at the yard. So I took pump from 89 trooper 2.6l looks to be right ( I will make bracket and jic hoses for it) and steering box from 95 rodeo isuzu 2.6l. The nice part on the rodeo is the steering shafts is 2 piece so no cutting to get u joint. I will see if it fits if not I will buy universal. Welding on steering components is NOT a good idea if you drive on public roads. The pitman arm on all of them is short so will still need to source pre 86 pitman arm (Yet to find other solutions).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:29 pm 

i am putting power steering on my 76 right now, however i got an electric power steering motor out of a saturn from the junkyard, it installs fairly easy and works great, thanks for the info though

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:31 pm 

If I felt like running more wires I would head back to the yard right now. I never knew anything came stock with electric power steering. What model did you happen to pull that from?