LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:28 pm 

Alright guys just got done doing a sbc swap in my 77. So I cant figure out how to wire my alternator. I have looked at the manual and thought i wired it up correctly but when i start it the charging light stays on. I have checked to see if alternator is charging and is. So my question is anyone know how to wire the alternator correctly?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:55 pm 
Australian LUV Guru

cadams02 wrote:
Alright guys just got done doing a sbc swap in my 77. So I cant figure out how to wire my alternator. I have looked at the manual and thought i wired it up correctly but when i start it the charging light stays on. I have checked to see if alternator is charging and is. So my question is anyone know how to wire the alternator correctly?

Ditch the stock Luv alt and wireing and use a high amp single wire(internal reg) alt.

LUVTRKR wrote:
It does have a license plate so technically it is a street truck, that sets off car alarms and makes kids cry. lol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:27 am 

I dont have the stock luv alt. I have a stock alt from a 70's 350 camaro.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:01 am 
da LUV masta

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/Alterna ... rsions.htm

Quote:
http://www.alternatorparts.com/GM_Delco ... iagram.htm

Wiring instructions for the GM Delco Remy internal regulated cs130 alternator. How to wire a GM cs130 alternator. The GM Delco-Remy cs130 alternator was used on GM vehicles from about 1986-1996. 1995 -1998 was a transitional period for the cs-130. Between those years you may have the CS-130 or the CS-130D alternator. The wiring hookup is the same for the CS-130 and CS-130D alternators. On both the CS-130 and CS-130D alternators must have a resisted ignition wire to the "L" terminal. Resistance can be obtained thru use af a resistor or you can use the no charge light as the resistor, the light bulb will supply proper resistance. Caution: if you connect a full 12 volts to the "L" terminal without the resistor it will cause the voltage regulator to fail

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:49 am 
da LUV masta

Yeah, you want to wire the 70's alternator the way it would have been wired. If the above doesn't work, post back and I will dig out my old 70's Motor Book and see what it says.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:56 am 

I have the alt wired like the picture above but the charging light still stays on. I'm trying to figure out how to wire it to the luv wire harness? I've looked at the wire diagram and thought i had to wire it to the white wire or the red and white wire from the regulator but i have tried both wires but it doesnt do the trick. Any help would be great.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:50 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

you cannot hook a one wire alternator to the factory luv wiring at the regulator and shut of charging light.

A.j.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:36 pm 

Sorry I have a 3 wire gm alt and I eliminated the regulator.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:29 pm 
da LUV masta

I checked my 1975 Motor Auto Repair Manual Unfortunately it isn't detailed enough to show how the alternator and charge light are wired up. I then went to the shop manual for the 1981 Phoenix I had. It had 3/4 of a SBC. It shows 3 wires, a heavy one from bat to the battery, a lighter one from the #2 terminal to the battery that supplies the regulator with power for the field, and #1 terminal connected to the charge light. Except for the regulator being built into the alternator, it looks about the same as the LUV. The #1 terminal is closer to the back of the alternator than the #2. It doesn't show any resisters. With the ignition on, jumper 12V to the white/red wire. See if the ''C'' light goes out. If it is on with the white/red wire connected to the #1 terminal and the engine running, the alternator may not be working.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:07 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Just an update on the 3 wire hook up . My 76 only had 16 ohms resistence in the dash light and wiring which isnt enough to Excite the cs 130 . You have to add a resister to the wiring and not just in line , it really needs to go to ground like the diagram above . This will allow the alt to charge and not burn up if the light fails .