LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Trooper power steering
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:39 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

What does it take to install power steeering off of a trooper?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:02 pm 
Resident Sparktrician

I would like to know this too. I'm looking for the tranny, and will try to get steering too. Maybe we need the front axle??...

1990 Luv 4X4 "Family Cab"
with the big 4 banger on 31" Dueller A/Ts

1989 Dodge Raider with some junk...

"Urban Fighter F.P.C" coming soon to a road near you...:snipersmile:
got BOOBIES? 8O 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:00 pm 
lts a piece of cake the trooper parts just bolt on 8O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:23 pm 
Resident Sparktrician

That sounds great. I found trooper power steering pump and box, so is there anything else I need? I think I'm going to get this stuff cheap! :twisted:

got BOOBIES? 8O 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:09 am 
Addicted to LUV

There is a lot of this info scattered across the history here. I did a search and found this one good tidbit, I'll see about assembling some more.

Trooper power steering

Kuranosuke: I'd pull the entire setup, pretty much leave the spindles but take all the arms between them, the pump, the idler arm and mount, all the hoses, and consider you might have to fab something a little different onto the steering collumn. If you take it all, you won't have to worry about trying to scrounge it up later if it turns out you need it. A trip to the alignment shop is going to be pretty much a given after something like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:40 am 
Resident Sparktrician

I don't have the option of getting everything as the guy only has the pump and box. I guess I'll make the trip out to B&R for the rest. I'm going to enjoy this with my larger tires.

got BOOBIES? 8O 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:37 am 
Addicted to LUV

From what I gathered from earlier posts, there are some arms that are a little different between the power steering and the older manual. I think the ones to look over would be the idler arm and the arm off the box itself. The steering arm might be different shape/size or the hole for the gearbox shaft might be a different size. It might take a combo of parts to make it work right. Too bad we don't know someone around here with a trooper they'd let us take apart and compare things on. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:41 am 
Resident Sparktrician

I'd bet I could get B&R to let me do it. I'm in there quite a bit. If you want to do it let me know. It would be nice to have a second point of view when I do it...

got BOOBIES? 8O 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:53 am 
Addicted to LUV

Sounds like fun. Would be nice to nail down this info, since it has come up so many times. Some of those parts I have redone enough times now that I pretty much know them by feel, like the idler arm and bushings. I've redone idler arm bushings on like 5 trucks now I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:03 am 
Resident Sparktrician

I'll be going over there Monday to measure a tranny and hijack a bed cap for $50. My Mom and her husband get here tomorrow, so he'll be going with me. If you'd like, I can call you and let you know when we are going. I think we are also going to NAPA to finish bolting the motor together.

got BOOBIES? 8O 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:48 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

What year trooper would be the best to use? boxes have the same bolt pattern? how much bigger is the trooper box?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:55 am 
Addicted to LUV

From the info I've found, pre 87 troopers are less different from LUVs than the later ones in general. Specific to the steering, I don't know but in general pre 87 parts are a little more compatible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:38 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

As long as the steering box bolts to the same bolt holes as the LUV box, and fits between engien and frame, I should be alright, i'm nto worried about it not fitting the love steering rod's becuase I have a straight axle up front and everythign has to be customized anyhow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:08 pm 
Hey guys, haven't been here for a bit. Ok, regarding the Trooper to LUV power steering conversion... I JUST got back from my local junkyard and I am excited as hell. Heres the deal... I looked at a lot of Troopers they had sitting around and realized that its pretty much (as a previous poster said) BOLT-ON! The things I noticed were this:

--Steering shaft itself on all power steering Troopers have a U joint proximal to the steering box which the LUV does not have. You could remedy this by stealing the whole steering shaft as opposed to trying to make it mate up to your steering shaft.

--Most 80's Troopers that I saw had pretty much the exact same set up with respect to components. However, spline sizes MAY be different in later years.

--The steering box is mounted to the driver-side frame with 4 bolts on the Trooper. The exciting part is that you will find that the LUV has it mounted at the same angle with the same 4 bolt pattern!

--Upon eyeball inspection it seems that the pitman arm splines on the Trooper are matching with those on the LUV. However, instead of worrying about that you can pull the whole wheel-to-wheel tie rod assembly off of the Trooper and use that.

--Finally, the power steering pump has to mount to the engine. This is the area I'm least sure about. You may have to create a bracket (not a problem for you fancy welders) or it MAY possibly bolt right on. Not entirely sure yet but as soon as I am, I will post again.

Basically, I did a lot of looking and comparing today and it seems like a power steering upgrade for the LUV using parts from an early Trooper is a VERY realistic project without having to get involved in removing/modifying too much stock suspension. I'm going to undertake this project this month. After I finish it I promise you guys a complete step-by-step article on how to do it along with a parts sheet and anything I run into along the way. Until then... find those Troopers! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:17 pm 
Addicted to LUV

One thing I've picked up since this thread started (and since I now have a trooper) is that 86 introduced the 2.3L 4cyl engine. It is similar, but a completely different animal than the 1.9L (G200) used in earlier Troopers. If you want to find LUV compatible mounting brackets for the pump, I would suggest looking for a Trooper with a 1.9L. The 2.3L stuff is going to be more different. The distributor is mounted in the rear of the motor, and the power steering pump is sitting right above where it used to be on the older motor, if not in the way exactly.

The shaft U joint would be a plus for dropping into a LUV for those little fit issues that come up, not to mention helping out with lining things up after a body lift.

Another item to keep in mind is the pulleys on the motor. You'll need a groove to put a belt into somewhere on the LUV motor. Not sure that it would be a problem, but something to look at when fitting stuff together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:24 pm 
Ok, ripped the parts out of a 87 trooper and heres an update:
The Pitman arm on the trooper is shorter than the one on the LUV. (Well, it is for my 79 4x4 anyway). The spline size is something I'm still not positive on yet but right now I'm sandblasting the assembly so I can get it ready. I posted previously and said I wasn't sure about the pump mount to the engine, and I think I have a solution...
The Troopers have an air pump mounted to the upper driver side of the engine. The bracket that the air pump uses WILL fit on the LUV engine and looks like it may be able to house the steering pump. If you're wondering why you can't just use the Trooper steering pump bracket, its because the LUV distributor is on the passenger side where the pump is supposed to be on the Trooper.
I'll keep you guys informed on this thread how things go for me. For those of you who are going to wait until I get through mine, like I said I am hoping I'll be able to put together a real step-by-step article of sorts afterwards. I think its the least I can do for all the great advice and info I read from you all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:23 pm 
:x Update: The pitman arm off of the 87 Trooper box is not only too short, but the splines ARE different sizes. :x

Now the good news: the 86 Trooper I was looking at has a suspension almost identical to the LUV, including a pitman arm that is the proper length already. So, its back to the junkyard for me. Anyone else doing this or has done this, please feel free to add to this post... lets exchange ideas and tell everyone else what NOT to do... like me. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:41 pm 
Addicted to LUV

What I've learned having my 86 Trooper is that some sort of rework occured on the Trooper for 87 model year. The change seems to be production dates of Nov 1986 and later are different. That means some early 87s will basically be 86s with square headlights, but later models will be different. The changes are largely tied to undercarriage parts like suspension, steering, exhaust, and rear drive line. It makes buying parts for one right around the changover point a big pain, because you never know if the part shop knows the difference between the models.

In this case, it appears that this all means the perfect donor rig for power steering would be an 86 or older. I would hazard to guess that going with an 85 or 85 trooper with a 1.9L motor would be the absolute best pick, because then the pump brackets should fit the LUV 1.8L

One of the older posts regarding this swap mentions the arm length issue, and their solution was to cut the two in half and weld them together to make one with the right length and spline. If the 86 and older part is the right size, that would be much better than wondering if that weld was holding up ok as you hit a bump in the road at 70MPH.

Post subject: power steering pumps
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:24 pm 
all the brackets and pullys off the1.9 bolt on to the luv 1.8 including the double groove crank pully/balancer