LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Front suspension
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:51 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Has anyone used or have experience in putting on a whole new front suspension?

Ive asked alot of different hot rod shops on doing a mustang ll IFS... Maybe a hub-to-hub kit....

Im not tearing the old suspension off the frame until I can kind of get the different price quotes and what not...

Just trying to figure out if going to coils and having a new front end is worth the extra moo-la over just doing the 5 lug conversion.

No one has given me a quote yet... but everyone that Ive talked to seem to be pretty interested...
Ive had 3 shops refer me to "Fat man".... So a phone call to him is next on the list, since I cant find an e-mail for him.

Just looking from some opinons and some discussion on my starting point of putting things together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:55 pm 
Addicted to LUV

TJ white did a rack conversion on his, you could do a site search. I have the coil overs on front with the torsion bars removed. Mostly for easier access on the tranny, but well worth it. I've been wanting to do the rack job on mine, but it works so well like it is. I would say it depends on the amount of fab work you want to do and more importantly, how much you want to spend. I'd say around $800'ish to do the coilover conversion and score a new set of aerospace brakes, less if you do the toyota rotor conversion, No idea on the rack job like TJ has, probaly about the same with a little more work involved, The Fatman job is going to be in the $1,800 neighborhood, if you do the work. Decisions, decisions...

FIAA!

SFPP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:29 am 
Addicted to LUV

I looked into the Mustang II swap but didn't have the money to do it .Now it has been so long that i can't remember the setup i was looking(i must be getting to old) but i do know that it was close enough that all i needed was i 1/8" shim on each side to make it work. Could be a 28-32 Ford front asy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:32 am 
Addicted to LUV

Here is some idea on the rack setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:18 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Id like to see some pics of the coil conversion if you have some.... I saw one pic on your site....

crap.... tornado sirens going off... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:41 pm 
Addicted to LUV

OK mytmouz your turn :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:41 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

If it will quit raining fo five minutes I will take some of mine. Probably be tomorrow before they get posted. Stuck at work. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:32 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

before I got cut off... from all the weather excitement...

I was going to ask about the toyota conversion... is that just the rotors or something??

By doing the math... aerospace - 700 (gotta add in shipping and all the nick nacks that comes with it too).
And another 800 for the coil conversion.

or 1000 - 2000 for a whole new front end (I havent gotten any price quotes yet... hopefully I will be able to do it tomorrow or next week)

One of the pro's that I was thinking about is that >IF< I can get a mustang ll IFS then it will already sit me 3 - 3 1/2" lower.
And I am not sure that anyone makes spindles if I did the coil conversion.

I read about the torsion bar lowering... but I really want to get away from the torsion bars
Im not so sure about doing the rack it really depends on how much more its going to cost.
You need power steering for it right??

How long is your steering column tj?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:17 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Well, that's all the pics I have right now, I'll try to get some more, 12 to 14 hr night shifts, 7 days a week... The aerospace brake conversion is $581 shipped from autofab racecars. $800 sounds way high on the coilovers unless you're going for overkill. Mine are from Speedway and are nonadjustable. Didn't see the need for all the dials on the front. Shocks and coils should be about $200 tops. Brackets for the coilovers were fabbed from some scrap plate I bought for $5.00. The toyota conversion gives you 5 lugs and drops some weight. My stock rotors were drilled for 5 lug so I can't help you with the conversion. Now the coilover conversion doesn't need spindles or anything. Just get the shock you are going to use, fab the brackets, weld them on, cut the bars off the lower a arm, and fab a new tranny crossmember. Mine is a piece of channel that Is removeable. Took about half an hour to fab and another half or so to install on the last 1 I did. With redrilled stock rotors, IF you can find some to do it, fabbing the crossmember, motor mounts, coilover mounts, and buying the coilovers if you use the circletrack stuff should run around $300 for materials, if you can do the labor. About $800 or so if you do the aerospace deal with Autofab.

FIAA!

SFPP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:10 am 
Addicted to LUV

Toyota conversion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:15 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

First off let me go ahead an appoligize for dragging this all out... I'm just trying to get well educated in the options before just saying... ok Im going to do this or that....

the spindles got swapped out for the toyota conversion correct?
In your pic's what are you trying to show me? I can see what they are... but I dont see what your showing me.

I saw someone who had tried the s10 front end conversion, I'm going to go back and re-read it... but if I understood correctly they failed on it??

I'm considering that as well... I was going to go to a junkyard (if it stops storming) and seeing if I could take some measurements...

What I was thinking... Finding and 98+ s10 that had a 4.3 and seeing if I couldnt just cut the front frame and taking the whole front suspension with the frame home... then figuring out a way to make it fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:29 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The toyota conversion uses the stock LUV spindle, the pics show 2 spacers that need to be made. I think the toyota conversion or the coil over route would be easier than the S10 graft job.

FIAA!

SFPP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:18 am 
Addicted to LUV

Yes i to believe that a S-10 graft would not only be very difficult to do but very impractical as well.BUT if you think this is what you want to do more power to you.I would consider doing this kind of swap using a Toyota front end, first as you would still have a box frame to work with and the size of the frame is very close,and it would be a whole lot easier to do.And yes they are rear steer but people put V8's in them every day and there is a good after market source.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:46 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Very good info and pic's... thanks a bunch

I think your both right...

Im going to keep things simple and keep the stock torsion bars and just go with the aerospace conversion.

I just need to get some upper a-arms to replace the ones that were cut on mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:06 pm 
Addicted to LUV

8)

FIAA!

SFPP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:49 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

My coilovers are Art Morrision and are adjustable. I think they were about $300 delievered. They are super easy to install with a little work they will fit in the stock shock location. The cross member is also easy as long as you have access to a tubing bender. Mine is an 1 1/8 .095 tubing with the stock trans mount welded in the middle and angle iron mounts on the frame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:05 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

I thought about doing the coil conversion, but I figured I would hold off until I get a motor put in there, to see if I need to or what problems may come.
it's in the back of my mind tho.. thanks :smt023

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:15 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Anyone using QA1 shocks with coils?

pretty spendy, just thought Id ask