LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:37 pm 
Addicted to LUV

My 80 Luv 4x4 has a lot of play from the driveshaft. I think it could be a bearing in the axl. Are they rebuildable or what can I get as a replacement. I think mine is stock it has Posi on it though and I'd like to stay with Posi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:45 pm 
i say if your truly happy with what you have and your truck is all stock anyway with no power upgrades (major ones anyhow) then i would just rebuild that sucker. it would be difficult to find a factory replacement anyhow and when you did it would just be used whereas if you rebuild it it will be new. and if i were you (i did this in my Z71 with major improvements!) i would take this opportunity to swap out the factory "posi" with a lockright locker from Powertrax. the unit is a gear to gear (no clutches) that is a full 100% locker...but it unlocks around corners, pretty spiffy actually. and i installed it myself and it was extremely easy...

good luck with whatever you do, and KEEP US POSTED and don't forget to INCLUDE PICTURES if possible!!

Josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:30 pm 
Addicted to LUV

You should probably check the input shaft bearing out and see if it has play in it. Grab the driveshaft/ujoint right in front of the differential and move it up/down and side to side (not turning, just see if it moves). If it sorta rattles around in there, the bearing is probably on its way toward going out.

The problem is that if that bearing starts to get loose it takes out the oil seal and makes the diff start loosing fluid. You'll see dirt on the tailgate/bumper that is kind of sticky from the gear oil coming out. You should check the fluid level in the diff and top it off if needed. Basically once it starts to leak, it will leak until it gets too low then the bearing goes fast and loud. Keep the fluid level up and it can go for quite a while, but if it gets too low it will not last long at all. You'll know you are in trouble when you hear a growling noise that changes when you accelerate and decelerate. I had one go from fine to gone in less than 50 miles of driving. In other words, this is not something you want to mess around with. Check the fluid and keep checking it to see if you are losing.

There is a torque spec on the pinion nut and I had problems with one of my LUVs keeping it torqued correctly. I'd need to look at the book some on that, but if it is too loose it can create some play in there too. Also make sure the ujoints are okay if you have not already.

LUVsick: What did that lockright locker run you? The only time I have ever had to be towed out of anything I had my 2WD luv with one tire stuffed up in the fender and the other barely touching the ground. Seems like the locker would be a great upgrade. Also, does it make a lot of noise like clicking and such?

Post subject: powertrax lockers info
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:39 pm 
Heres a little info from the site http://www.powertrax.com

In some vehicles, you will hear a light clicking noise as the gears are overrunning themselves and allowing the wheels to differentiate in a turn. This is normal of most lockers on the market today. We recommend the Lock-Right for vehicles that are primarily driven in severe driving conditions or are used for recreational off-road. For vehicles that are driven daily or require more mainstream application, the Powertrax No-Slip Traction System offers a quieter and smoother performance.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:29 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I emailed powertrax about my 10bolt stock axl. They dont carry non slip kits for those. I am wondering was the rearend for the 80 Luv 4x4
come posi? I did find that most parts for the rearend can be bought still
for rebuilding. I used the following site:
http://www.carparts.com
:o