LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: i need traction
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 8:43 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

well i took it to the track today. the results weren`t very good.granted the track was very cold and never really got warmed up due to lack of turnout. wheather was cold and cloudy and a lite sprinkle passed thru. i only got 3 passes in before they called the race. pretty much everyone was having problems hooking up. but i think im gonna need additional help. my best time of the day came to the tune of 12.73@108.6 60 foot time is 2.1. i`m spinning the tires into 2nd gear fish tailing like crazy.i`ve tried launching at 3000 rpm and idle ive tried peddaling it during the pass. but no good i know alot of it is the weather but i want to be hooked when racing the winter series too. what i want to know is did the drag shocks really help any of you or removing the sway bar. throw your suggestions my way especially the ones that are cheap or free in cost.now for the stats 3.08 rear gears " i would never hook up with 4.11 at this point" hossier quick time 15 psi, ben`s specialty traction bars se site owner`s truck. but it sure was fun to finally get it out there. later :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:20 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Glad to hear your out there making some noise. :)

I wouldn't get too concerned yet. I imagine if I went during bad weather and the track was bad on top of that, I would have traction problems too.

Usually in those situations I pull out of the burnout box, lock the line lock, and stand on the gas. I'm usually in 3rd gear within 3 seconds so the smoke starts fairly quick. But I sit there anyway. And I sit some more. And I sit a little more. Then I let off the line lock and roll it out, foot still to the floor. Sometimes if the tires start to grab I have to shift down to 2nd gear to keep them spinning. I roll it out as far as I think I can get away with. If your feeling really ballsy and the track is real bad, see if you can carry it past the lights and lay down some rubber for yourself. In other words, pretend your John Force.

By that point, if you still don't hook at least you had fun.

As for the gears, I've found that lower gears make breaking the tires loose easier, but the car doesn't carry out the burnout as long. It kinda just does it's burnout, hooks up and starts truckin. Where as with higher gears, you can carry the burnout half way down the track.

How do you have the rear of the truck setup? Just the traction bars and no other mods?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:56 pm 
i think you are on the rite track with the drag shocks ,the front sway bar had no effect on my truck but the drag shocks helped a lot ,but i would buy the lakewoods dont bother with the summit 90/10's they dont work as good ,i run the summits but i want to put the lakewoods on mine ,mine goes 1.740 is the best 60ft i think Ben's truck goes 1.58-60ft is that right ben? one other thing the stall on the trans converter has A LOT to do with the 60ft ,Ben runs a 4500 i think and mine is a 3000 hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:08 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

i`m running a 9" 3500 stall it seems to work really well i can do a dry hop out in the street where i`m getting alot better traction than the track.the converter will flash to 3800. as far as the rear goes ben yea it`s set up stock. just your specialty traction bars. i`m not running snubers just a bolt through them with about a 1/2" clearanceon the spring eye. i`ve had some tell me to try more pinion angle he recommended another 4deg. that would put me at 8deg. he said the power won`t hit the tires as hard and give you more traction. i`ve heard of this before but don`t know of anyone who has tried it any thoughts on that. well i think for now i will go shocks first then gears later as ben suggested. since shocks i can buy 2 at a time and be a little kinder to my wallet. i think they said the track temp on saturday was 58 deg with lots of moisture in the air so that probably was a lot of it. later terry :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:29 am 
I havent hit the track yet, BUT, ive launched at my share of stoplights and here is my input.
my hoosiers are 16.5- so collectively thats almost 32 " of rubber on the pavement. Im running a ford 9 posi unit, and both hook up. the tires are wrinkle wall, and with lower pressure leave a fat spot of traction. I couldnt define "traction problem" if it hit me in the face. 4:56 gears. my ladder bar/ coil over rear suspention performs perfectly- on the shift from 1st to 2nd, i can literally feel the back of the truck slam down and thrust foreward :twisted: dang thats a nice feeling.!
I can do a burn out with nitrous in first gear, let off the line lock and hit second. All that rubber getting sticky will grab- so basically i get a 1st gear burn out and hook up in second. its freakin amazing!
My stall is set a 1800+. i chose to go lower in this area to aid an easier launch at the track, its the low end of my 'power band' yet be able to street the truck the remaining 99% of the time i drive it.
I drove my truck in a light sprinkle and it changes everything.

The track opens here April 4th. thats my goal!

later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:16 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

my truck isn`t tubbed and i`m running only about 9 " wide tire. i`ve seen nova`s and camaro`s hook with the same size tire and leaf springs. i just need to get the info they have and apply it as needed. later terry :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:43 pm 
One other thing to consider is these trucks are light. novas and camaros have some more metal. im sure that helps hook up. someone i know has a nova and i think i was about 1000 lbs lighter.

the rain HAS to be a big factor. youll hook up.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:53 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

here`s a question for those still running leaf springs and racing how many leafs are in your spring pack.it seems like the ones i have seen are running 4 or less.my truck is currently running 5 the bottom one is pretty thick almost like a factory overload spring. anyway i`m considering removing the bottom leaf on each side maybe this would soften up the suspension for a little more bite.and lower the rear of the truck a little too.later :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:24 pm 
while you are removing the last leaf turn the other three 180deg ,if you mesure the springs from the axle tube out you will find that to the rear is longer and by turning them 180deg the long part will be in front and that will help a little,it keeps the springs from "rapping up "so much ,the same thing a traction bar does .the trick of adding more pinion angle works -to some degre but if the track is bad then nothing will work .on sat i went a 1.73 60ft and in an hour the temp droped and it went a1.96 60ft the temp went from 78deg track temp to 69deg temp hope this helps

Post subject: traction
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:25 pm 

i have a79 With stock suspension no slapper bars 10.5x26.5 slicks 13pounds of air 4.33gears 1.6 60ft runs 11.30 120.97 miles an hours leaves with tires about 6inches off ground drilled front shocks and let oil out talk about weight trasfer had to install roll cage from alston 3000stall shift at 6200rpm cross at 6500singing tach it to the limit Luv on be at cajun national march 9seeing is beleiving good luck!!!!!!!!!!ps 3degreewedge on rearend will send pick next week :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:34 pm 
hey polished, what engine you got in that?

Post subject: motor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:20 pm 
1986 350 30over flat top piston set of 292 angle plug heads 205 in 1.60ex 1.5 crane roller rockers w/stud gridle 305h cam turbo 350 trans 3000stall arp rod bolts+ set of hooker headers the cranks is cast one peice rear main block hope the 8 point cage stiffens it up 5 gal fuel cell and battery in back of bed the boys with tubbed cars hate the luv was at the races this weekend w/guys going to orlando with mustang they run nos i'll takam in 1/8 but that nos comes on at the 1000ft have atotal of about $3500in truck take care Bobbyps got the mph for 10:80pass had moser do front rotors to 4.5 x5 with 3.5x15 centerlines :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:07 pm 
Im just doin a little math in my head. Ive got pretty much the same build up, dual plane intake( hope your not single plane as that will throw off my guesswork) gears are pretty close. I run about 125 hp N20, so its possible i may run low 11's or even break the 10's. there are plenty of guys running v8s that are close to low 12's and high 11's. my truck is built pretty strong,and has the juice.

10's would be sweet, ill probably get like a 13....... :evil:

Post subject: traction
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:22 pm 
da LUV masta

I have a set of comp.eng. ladder bars for a luv truck .They will work on a 9" tire ride.I'm asking 150 for them.Hey polishedcool to hear about your ride.I'm building a 75 luv.31x16.5 et streets.350 with a comp 306s cam ,b&m 144 blower,nos,hoping for 10s on the motor 9s on the dope.Should be running this summer. :drinking:

Post subject: intake
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:12 pm 

77ssluv have a single plane team -g intake works from 2500-7000 Duel plane works from idle to about 5500 depended on intake had a 270dur 460 lift cam before and ran best of 12:26 108 with a60ft of 1.678 that 305 525 lift cam is a good one idles about 1300rpmyou should run mid to low 11's with out nos on nos 10's easy if it does bring it to cajun land and i will tune it to run we will eat crawfish and drink a beer take care Bobby 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:24 pm 
suh- wheat. Get some pics postd of your truck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:50 pm 
I have a 74 luv with Cal Tracs on it, it is not tubbed and has 29 x 10 slicks on 15" rims, 456 gear. I took it to the track for the first time on march 8, the truck did a 1.43 60 ft. Calvert racing makes the Cal Tracs they worked good for me. the cost was $312.00. good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:11 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

i took the luv out again and it improved a little more. i changed the cam timing i retarded it 2 deg and it helped. it droped the 60ft time to 1.72,and dropped my et to 12.20 . so progress continues, i want to try shocks and gears next. i am still running the 2.80 rear gears that came in that 8". :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:19 pm 
FYI, I had the stock 4:56 in the luv and got used to that, then my 9" came with 3:25's. It made a huge difference. That with the 31" meats. This may be a bid of an exaggeration, but It was like 1500 RPM on the freeway. I didnt like it. I couldnt get the 4:56's in fast enough. If your going steeper, you'll like it.!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:05 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

yea i plan on running steeper gears i`m using this for a weekend play toy for the strip. between gas prices and insurance i decided not to put it on the street. just one more bill i don`t need to pay. i have a nitrous set up for the truck i need to try out. but i wan`t to find out what i can get out of the motor first. i will tinker with it for awhile before i put the juice on. :twisted: