LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Buick V-6 oil pumps
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:06 pm 
Addicted to LUV

To those that have the Buick V-6 motor conversion, I'd like to suggest installing a Hi volume oil pump kit with The thrust plate. Buick V-6 engines suffer from an oiling system that is somewhat substandard. I previously had a higher pressure spring in the pump that would show 70 psi on startup @ idle. Once the engine was at operating tempurature there would be a significant decrease in pressure @ idle in gear. After 20 min of Hwy driving, the oil would thin out to the point where pressure @ idle (in drive) would drop to about 5 psi. The oil light would flicker or iluminate steady. The Hi volume / thrust plate kit eliminated the problem. The thrust plate provides a fresh surface for the pump gears. The stock cover is made of aluminum and will show signs of pump gear scoring. The scoring is the major reason for oil pressure loss. Now the oil pressure never drops below 15 psi under any conditions. This should be a priority modification to any Buick motor. Hot or stock. There are mods that can be done to the block to improve oiling but the pump kit is "a must". It is best to remove the timing cover to work the modification (drilling is required). Also the stock oil pump cover bolts may be corroded (i snapped the heads off of 2 bolts). Its alot of work but very well worth it.

What do Water, Electricity and Humans have in common... They all travel the path of least resistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:17 pm 
Addicted to LUV

where would i find this kit? and how much could i expect to pay?
sounds like it would be a good thing to do to my 3.8 while its still on the stand.
the timing cover/oil pump/ water pump assembly is already installed but wouldnt be near as much of a hassel to do it out in the open.
i also put the higher pressure spring in (i think it was white :? ) hopeing to offset some of the low oil pressure problems i had heard of.
thanks for the info bro

All I need is my weed, women, and wine. -Edge City Outlaws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:29 pm 
Addicted to LUV

It cost around 55 to 65 dollars, depending on who you buy it thru. You should be able to order it from just about anyone(AutoZone, Kragen, NAPA, ect). The kit i bought was cheap because the thrust plate was missing. I had to order a thrust plate. The oil pump filter is slightly relocated lower but it doesn't interfere with steering components. I scanned the paperwork on the kit to the computer. If the file size isn't too big, i can send them to you. If the motor is on a stand, you wouldn't have to remove the timing cover. Just insure that any metal shavings do not end up in the pump. The white spring is for 60 psi. I better send you the directions because of the different housings. 2 different housings and 6 different springs. 3 spring rates for each housing. i initially went with a heavier spring to deal with the oil pump but it only showed an improvement when the engine was cold.

What do Water, Electricity and Humans have in common... They all travel the path of least resistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:17 am 
Addicted to LUV

cool deal man.
yeah id like to see that paperwork, if you could email it to jyoung1976@charter.net id appericate it.
what year is your buick v6? mine is a 85 3.8 outta a regal. im not sure if there was any major changes between the years
thanks
john

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:28 am 
Addicted to LUV

As it turns out, the oil pump kit fits all odd and even fire/ 3.8 and 4.1 motors from the mid seventies to the mid eighties. Melling # K20IPHV . This kit has the thrust plate in the kit. Here's a link for anyone to see what you'll get. http://www.melling.com/products/details.asp?id=393

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:37 am 
Addicted to LUV

hey thanks..i did put a new set of gears in mine that came w/ the rebuild kit..but it didnt have those shims or the thrust plate in it.

gawd NOW ya got me wanting to work on my truck...and its only like 15 degrees here....THANKS MAN!! :wink: j/k :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:56 am 
Addicted to LUV

I have a housing B and im using the yellow spring. With the motor at operating temp, the pump produces 60 psi @ idle(in neutral). Right on the money! You might want to go back to the site and read the technical bulletins. They have some good information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:25 am 
Addicted to LUV

I had the high volume kit on mine.
I recommend it as well.

Post subject: HV buick oil pump
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:19 pm 
I have always had a HV oil pump on my Buick V-6. Though I dont push the oil pressure above 65PSI hot because your just wasting horse power.
Have you guys ever had problemd with wearing out your front cam bearing by running too thick of oil, like 20w50? I run redline 5w30 only and some kind of teflon treatment. I have never had any more problems with bearing wear after I swithched to Redline 5w30 and additive. I just dont rev past 6200 RPM!