LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:54 pm 
I'm still new to rear ends so sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but maybe it'll help others out there too... lets say I bought a used 9" rear end that has a 2.50 ratio. I could fit it with whatever ratio gears I want, right? Like 4.11 for example? Theres no difference in housing size where I'd have to get a whole new rear end, right? Also, anyone have the stock LUV rear end width? Thank you so much for the help guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 5:50 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

the problem you can run into with swaping gears is sometimes you have to change the carrier along with it. most gear company`s usually have note section with there gears that you have to read to see what series carrier you need. i have seen 4 series gears on a 2 series carrier. the manufacture just makes the ring gear thicker to compensate. just check with your vendor of choice they should be able to tell you. if i remember right the luv rear end is about 54"there are other post in here that could tell you for sure. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 5:55 pm 
Oh... ok, I get it now. Man those rear ends really are expensive though, huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:41 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Different carriers are needed in most other rearends but a 9" uses the same carrier. They adjust by a theaded adjuster and does not require ring gear spacers or anything special no matter what ratio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:20 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

good point rat i forgot about the 9 being adjustable that goes for the ford 8 as well,yea i know its not as tough :roll: but i`m poor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:49 pm 
racelife said something about an 8" ford. i have an 85 mustang gt that is going to be parted out will that rear end fit, have to be narrowed or just plain won't fit. the mustang rear has all those upper and lower arms can those be cut off to make it work or am i just smoking some good stuff to try and save a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:55 pm 
Addicted to LUV

How much stronger is a 9 inch than an 8.8 inch? I have an 8.8 inch (in a different vehicle) and I've thought about installing it into my LUV whenever I swap motors. How much will the 8.8 handle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:37 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

i`ve heard the 8.8 is the new rear end of choice but i don`t know anyone who has run it to get any solid info but from what i understand they also have c-clips i don`t know why ford wouldv`e gone to that but i guess they did.
as far as the mustang craig i think they were using a 7.5 rear in 85 but if yours is a gt it could be an 8 . i put an 8" out of a maverick in mine its actually to wide. i found some used centerlines at a swapmeet with a 6" backspacing.that tucked the tires back under the fender wells.iwas gonna wait to talk about that setup until after i had everything running so i could find out what kinda abuse it will take. thats what i`m trying for my project. later :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:58 pm 
My two cents on my decision. I went to a Ford wrecking yard there was every kind of rear end, they even had some Posi chevy axles. All I had to do was pick one. After some thought, I realized that unless your turning some massive horsepower or tourqe, just about any of the common "stronger" rearends will hold up to a moderately built v8. "Buy a ford 9" was all I have ever heard. It has a rep for a reason. So for no reason other that to say "yeah, I have a narrowed ford 9", i went with it. i could have put in one of the others, but...nah.

I think its ok to buy and install a strong part for the bragging rights, why else would anyone buy a gear drive for the whine.(which i think sounds totally sweet.) anyone have a Jegs or sommit catalog. you can get any of those parts used at a junk yard. you install new ones when you can for the better finished product.

My point is, if various different parts will work and your undecided, go with the one that has braggin rights. i dont think anyone will deny that the ford 9 has at least that. hey, im just and electrician, and this is my opinion 8)

i did see a guy grenade one though. Super Chevy Show drags in 2000. never left the line. Blew gears and oil all over the track :lol:

g

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 6:00 pm 
Uh, that last post was me. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:23 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

A 8.8 is pretty strong with 31 spline axles but I would still recommend
C Clip eliminaters. The Mustang I weighed at the same time as my truck is running 6.73 in the 1/8 and using a 8.8 As for why did Ford go away from the 9" My guess is it would be overkill for most rear wheel drive cars,or should I say Mustang and Crown Vic. Also I would say it is cheaper to produce the 8.8 than a 9". As power went down in most vehicles it just isn't needed.Even most 1/2 ton trucks are never really used for a truck.
The 8" for in the Mustang ll should be close enough to the factory Luv
that with the correct offset on wheels you would be fine. I have run a 8" in a V8 Vega and it held up pretty good. You will have to deal with 4 lug.
The 8.8 is still a pain to change the ring and pinion!!