LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Ultimate Front End
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:41 pm 
Thought I would follow up the previous topic about rears with this one about front ends. What has anyone found about the 4x4 front ends that work best on a drivetrain swap? Someone said Toyota is good. What style of front end works best though, leaf spring, etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:03 pm 
Me again,
In my opinion Leaf sprung is definitly the way to go, It's simple,Strong and proven, Toyota axles are a good swap if you dont want to go wide, But lets face it they were'nt designed for V-8 power. Jeep dana 30,44's are a better bet, the 44 being a little beefeir. If your going to do any real 4 wheelin I would stick with atleast half ton stuff. But that is just my opinion. ( Opinions are like a**holes everyones got one and they all stink)

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:00 am 
Thanks dave... but when you say that the toyota is good if I don't want to go wide, do you mean significantly wider than stock? I mean the 81 toyota pick up has a comparable width to the stock LUV, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 6:37 pm 
Hey beetle.
I believe the Toyota is inch or so wider, nothing drastic. Whereas a fullsize dana 44 is 7 or so inches wider. So yes the Toyota is comparable.
I believe some of the earlier Toy axles were even built by the same company as the LUV. Another note about Toy axles if you can get a 86 or newer one from a V-6 truck they are significantly stronger units.
Hope this helps...

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:55 am 

This may not be the ultimate front end but is's reasonably strong and was used in some V8 Jeeps.

My '78 LUV had an aftermarket 4X4 leaf spring conversion done when it was brand new. The front end is a disc brake, open knuckle, Dana 30 from a 78-79 Jeep CJ-5 which is very close to the Luv's original width.

To get the 6 lug LUV wheel bolt pattern, you need to use early 70's fullsize Jeep Cherokee hubs, off of a Dana 44.