LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: ultimate rear end
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 2:36 pm 
this space for rent

Alright im looking for the most cost effective rearend that i can get for my luv. Ill be running a 327 in it so i dont know if a 9" is nesecary. I was thinking along the lines of 12 bolt GM. And also how much dos it cost to get axles narrowed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:05 am 
Addicted to LUV

I heard that a 12-bolt is actually slightly stronger than a stock 9" and robs less HP. Can anyone confirm or deny?

From what I've seen those two are comparable price wise as well so if your looking to save some money maybe a 10-bolt would be better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 6:23 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Robs less horsepower yes that is true. A 9" has a extra pinion bearing to help support the actual gear. 3 bearing on the pinion take a little more power. Several third members are made so you can use a 12 Ring & Pinion in a 9".
In my opinion I think a 9" is stronger and a better choice. A lot of high horsepower Chevy are running around with a 9" in them and there are several advantages to the 9".
With the 12 bolt you have a major job to change gear ratio's a job most do it at home mechanics don't want to try. Also C-clip axles are something that I will never use with horsepower again. This gives you the expense of C Clip eliminaters a must in my opinion if you get serious about hooking your power to the ground. Last date of maufacture was 72 and a Nova would be as narrow as you could find so it would still have to be narrowed.
9" was produced longer and in countless vehickles making them a lot easier to find.Does not need C Clip eliminaters and you can have another Chunk or third member set up with a different gear ratio and change it in a hour or less. Anything is a vailable for a 9" and they have been used in everything Drag,Circle track,Dirt Track and anything else you can think of.
A 9" is easier to set up the shims go under the pinion support bolts and can be adjusted without having to press the pinion bearing on and off. The ring gear is adjusted by threaded adjusters so no shims on the carrier either.
With a 12 bolt the pinion depth is set by shims placed between the pinion and the pinion bearing.Side load is also set with shims.
I am in the process of build a highway third member for mine now. And will leave you with one last thought you say you are just running a 327 and that is enough to get you hooked for more power. Next thing you know you will be doing this and that for a little more power,maybe nitrous later or a small block 400 and nitrous.Maybe not ! I am just saying a 9" will handle whatever you throw at it and is the perfect choice for a V8 Luv spend the money and do it once! But if you are sure you just want to drive it a S-10 rearend is almost a bolt in.BUT DON'T get serious about putting any real power to the ground with it or you will break it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:47 pm 
Yeah what he said 8)

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:57 pm 
Geez, that's about the most complete comparison/ contrast of rear end setups I've ever seen... I learned some stuff... Thanks for all the effort. I agree that c-clips are really scary; any time you can rock a car back and forth and hear the "clunk, clunk" of axles can't be a good thing--

I used to run the small GM 10-bolt rears in our dirt track cars (dumb "stock"rules), and you're right- the ring and pinion swap out is a total pain, and you've got to get it right or you'll wax the gears in a hurry. We always checked ours by making an imprint on the ring gear with some grease, and making sure that the contact patch was in the middle of the teeth.

The only thing that I have to add is spend the money and get GOOD AXLES!!!

We've had good results running Strange axles on pavement. Strange makes good axles that aren't super expensive, and you can get them whatever length you need them. I've seen stock axles break SOOO many times in circle track cars, and you're usually wide open when it happens, and with a locked rear you change directions real quick- it's a great way to total a car. I hit a wall head-on at W.O.T. in heavy traffic and had to build a new race car-- and we were only running 2bbls with a restrictor plate. Granted, stock cars beat on the axles pretty good just bouncing thru traffic, but I guess my point is that it doesn't take much horsepower to waste a stock axle.

And since we're on the subject, a 9" also uses way less HP than a quickchange.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 6:34 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I agree about good axles. By the time I had mine shortened,redrilled,and brake drum snout changed for mine it was only a few bucks more for new. And at least with the 9" if you break one it will stay on 4 wheels! I have heard of a few axles breaking between the bearing and wheel flange. I may be wrong but I think if you check most of these have had axle bearings changed by someone who used a torch to get the old ones off . If a torch is used (and I have done it before) some judgement must be used not to get the axle too hot. I am sure that this is not the proper way but sometimes you gotta do with what you got to do with. With used axles you have no idea who has been there or what they did to them. New axles eliminated this problem.
I watched my axle and wheel pass me and it was NOT a good feeling.I had Moser do mine, housing and new 31 spline axles. It is a big expense but it should be a 1 time expense.