LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Evil Halloween thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:38 pm 
Ok here goes and I would love to hear any and everyones input on this! Well while I was in surgery today.... doing an open heart case doing a valve job on this old guy, not the kind of valves most of you would do 8O but anyway I got to thinking about putting new parts into an old thing :wink: It occurrd to me I had an eeeeeeevil thought :evil: Actually I thought of this on the way home. When I was driving down the highway and a guy pulls up next to me in a GMC syclone and all I could think about was :evilbat: I wonder if I could retro-fit that under mine! :evilbat: I mean come on guys what would a little luv be like with a V-8 and all wheel drive :?: Anyway I was wondering since it is the S-10's brother on steroids and they are basically the same truck and the rear should be a almost straight bolt in. Does anyone think that theres a possiblity of putting the all wheel drive system out of a syclone under a Luv? I mean cause I know where theres a totaled Syclone that I might be able to get ahold fairly cheap....I mean the drivetrain minus the engine the old guy who has it put the engine in his S-10 :roll: Anyway if any of you guys might be able to give me a little introspective on this I thought it would be way cool!!! I mean stop and think guys when these Syclone came out the only thing on the street that could hang with them on street was the new Vettes and they were only beating them in the 1/4 mile by a couple of tenths 8O :shocked!: Well anyway that was my evil thought for the day :2gunfire:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:34 pm 
Addicted to LUV

My theory is, anything is possible. It's just a matter of time and effort.

I am curious as well about what the drivetrain in the Syclone's looks like and how hard it would be to transplant it. I would guess the hardest part would be the front suspension.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:51 pm 
Yeah thats what I was thinking....... How to fit the front driveline :?: I'm hoping that someone might have alittle insight. I saw that we have a member with a 4.3 out of a syclone in his LUV :o Wonder where he got it from and if he thought about trying to drivetrain? Maybe we can ask him ? lol :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:09 pm 
Addicted to LUV

already posted this in chat, but here it is for everyone else.
http://caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver ... e_15th.xml

All I need is my weed, women, and wine. -Edge City Outlaws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:28 am 
Well I read the article a little more closely and it has a Seirra Denali drivetrain :? So I'm thinking that maybe it might be a little more cost effective :lol: to go with a Syclone drivetrain not to mention a little easier to work with. I figure at 132,000 I wouldnt want the drivetrain shitting itself!!! :wink: But then again if you got that kind of dough to toss into a truck and make it look like a stock Sonoma my hats off to you. :robot:

Post subject: all wheel drive
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 10:37 am 
I have been thinking of doing this swap too, into my 80 luv. Maybe using a tweeked 4.3 or small block V8. The Syclone was a very impressive ride, just WAY over priced in thier day. The drivetrain in a all wheel drive astro or safari mini van are a direct decendent of the syclones and even typhoons. The system is capable of handling aprox 350 HP too. It would be a virtual road rocket! I talked to a man who has driven a syclone and he said it was too damn fast for the street! well to me nothin is too fast for the street. I have had my Trans Am up to 160! what a rush! If I could locate an all wheel drive system I would do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 1:30 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Don't really know for sure, but u might be able do it using a four 4X4 luv or just certain parts. Or u could just put the LUV body on the sysclone chassis. :?: I think the sysclone and denalis use a viscous coupling transfer case...might be able to use that in a 4X4 LUV and turn it into AWD. Wonder what kind of 1/4 mile times we could get then ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:24 pm 
damn right noithing is too fast for the road. Once the 2003 chevy ss comes out imma keep my eye out cause from what i understand and read up on AWD, and they are suppose to be bad, so someones bound to total one and theres my chance to hop in and buy it, see what i can piece together, the only problem is, that i have the 81 model 2wd luv, and as i know of and seen there are only 2 in this town well 3 counting mine but they are driving them and have found no others so once i go broke on this one, may hafta take a road trip and see what i can kick up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:35 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Hmmm...

I wonder how the stock LUV 4x4 front axle would hold up? If it would last, it seems like a simple conversion would be to just put the motor, trans, and AWD transfer case in a 4x4 LUV. Setup the front hubs so they are locked all the time. Lower the truck to a 2WD height. Then put the pedal to the metal and hold on to your hat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 5:25 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

hehehe :twisted: ...AWD combined with the luv's factory gear ratios....hmmmm might have to tub front and back :)