LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: to coil over or not to?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:12 pm 
I have had coil overs for the past 2 years, and it makes life so much easier. All of the torsion bar stuff except for the lower controle arm pivot pins are removed. The only thing that I have had a hard time doing is getting the suspension to react the same on both sides. Check out my picts on this web site @ http://www.luvtruck.com/Gallery/TadandJ ... index.html
letg me know if I can help, later Tad K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:19 pm 
Good lookin' ride, 2fast! Did you brace or strengthen the shock towers to hold the coil-overs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:21 am 
Addicted to LUV

ME ME ME NEXT!!!!!
Im getting coil overs for christmas.
I need to get rid of the torsion bars before I can setup the engine and tranny mounts. therefore I will be waiting on the coil overs to do that part.
I will just build the rest of the engine while I am waiting!
:-)

love that truck 2fast
maybe mine will look that good in a couple of years.

Post subject: question on torsion bars
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 11:18 pm 
what exactly is the purpose of the torsion bars on the luv and what benefit do they offer, also what will be lost if they are taken out? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:22 am 
Addicted to LUV

They attach to the lower a-arms and support the weight of the truck like a spring. If you take them out, your truck will be on the ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:28 pm 
Any suggestions on what brand of coil overs to use??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 8:56 am 
Japanese Redneck

77ssluv wrote:
i dont know much detail about what i am posting here, but a guy in Monroe, wa, used to have some "weight transfer" shocks or something up front. It was on a Z car. Ive never seen anything like it. Youde think it was close to a wheel stand, but it wasnt even close. the whole front end would just 'lift',... totally. the car was quick, but It had to be some sort of weight transfer and he had a lot of it.

I will know everything about it............ next spring. Whatever he did, I will search it out. i will install it. It WILL BE MINE. :twisted:

"G"

The Z has a Independant rear suspension that "squats" when it launches. That kind of gives it a more "wheels up" type of look when you hit the gas. Nothing trick about that setup. its all stock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 5:59 pm 
A friend of a friend supposedly got "some scoop" on his rig and all we heard was weight transfer this or that. your right, the back did dump. betwen the back droping and the front raising, it was a sight.

that dang little car was fast. I think it had a straight 6 in it. 8O

there was another one running around 350/350. it was the talk of the town with that pete jackson gear drive(the noisy one, dont ever buy the noisy one- too loud) :oops:

hope to go back this next summer an run up against a few of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 11:03 pm 
Okay a quick questiion? I am wondering if the coil overs will bolt right up or not? If they do then cool I'll pick some up after the new year if not then I wonder if someone can tell em whats involved in setting them up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:33 am 
Addicted to LUV

someone had said that they talked to QA1 about a bolt on installation for coil-overs.
they come with eye bolts top and bottom, but they have a conversion that changes it to stud on top.

Post subject: To RATNLUV
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 10:38 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I read where you said you can remove the strut bars going to the front without any problems. Is this when you go to coil overs or still have torsion bars? If using coils overs, which is what I am working on, does that mean I don't need them any longer and if so, just what purpose did/do thoses bars actually serve then. Also what keeps the lower A-arms in the correct position by going to coil overs? If I can just do away with those suckers, great as it opens up possibilites for some other ideas/mods floating around in my little brain cell....

Rick
1980 Stepside LUV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 7:59 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

The lower control arms are positioned by the strut rods that go to the front of the truck and must remain in the truck. The torsion bar is your sring! If you are going with coil overs you will not need the Torsion bars at all.Removal will free up all kinds of exhaust room and Nova headers will probably fit it you are running a small block chevy.Also allows for transmission crossmember to be modified so the trans. can be removed easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:11 pm 
Man, you guys are nuts!!! I can't believe the stuff that I've learned on this website from you people in such a short time. Ok, so the coilovers are an excellent idea and 2fast.... your LUV suspension kicks ass! One question though.... is it as easy as you guys say even for a LUV 4x4?? If it is then man I have yet ANOTHER reason to be excited! Thanks for the info in advance guys!!!