LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:42 pm 
Hey all. I'm new to this board, but not new to LUVs. This may be long, so if you just want to read my question, its at the bottom...

I have been wrenching on them with my dad ever since he bought his first one. Since that time he has had about 5 of them, all different years and types (and conditions). It was a bit funny, because his friends started giving them names: Mikey (a Mikado), Ugly, Uglet, Ug, and one other I cant remember. He got all the "ugly" comments because he really never did anything with them other than keep them running. Well, its been a few years and a few are gone. He sold Mikey and the other unnamed (which was to be used for a 400SB project I hear). The other 3 we still have, which brings me here today.

One of the trucks (Ug) is a 1980 4X4. These trucks have been sitting for years, and Ug has actually been sitting for about 7 years. Well, in an attempt to save mileage on my present daily driver (944 Turbo :P ) I have decided to resurrect this one. We've taken wheels, body panels, windshields, etc. from the other two to fix it up, along with a motor and A/C system from a second truck we bought for $100. It too had been sitting up for about 5 years, and would you believe all we had to do to get it to run was put in a battery? Talk about luck, it started the first time without even priming the carb. Don't ask me, I couldn't believe it either. It does need a carb kit though. The A/C compressor is good too (well, its not locked up). Also, the PO told us this motor is out of an Opel (I think). I believe him too, since I have never seen any of the other LUVs with electronic ignition.

So anyway, we swapped the oil pan on the motor, swapped out the entire A/C system, and the coil (it has something piggybacking on the coil, figured it was important), installed a new clutch kit, then dropped the motor in. We've also replaced all the hoses/lines and other regular maintenance items. BTW, you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find the correct rear transmission seal (well maybe you would). We are also doing a R134a conversion on it. Right now we've spent close to $800 just to get her road ready and reliable again. I am about to paint it (with the help of a buddy) in a few weeks. The total project is going to be right around $2350. Well, as long as I can find all the parts I want for it. Which brings me to my question (finally).

Is there a Positrac or Locker unit that will fit our axles? So far I've been calling around town, and they say they show an 8 bolt and a 10 bolt, and it has asian numbers for the seals and bearings. I've read here on the boards that they are Mitsubishi units with 4.10 gears (for the 4X4). What else do I need to know to buy the right Posi or Locker unit for these from a local 4X4 shop? Also if you guys have any suggestions on models or if you have part numbers, I'd appreciate the help! Thanks.

TufLUV

Post subject: UG I like it
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:01 am 
Hey tuf,

Well here goes. The axles out of LUVS fall into 2 catagories far as I can tell, 4.56's for the 4 speed and 4.10's for the autos and diesels. Aisin is still making parts for axles as is mitsubishi those are the primary maufactures of the axle as for where to find a locker or lim slip Dunno I have heard of spools for them but Never seen up close. There are other posts in here that other people have asked bout the same thins look them up 8)
Hope this helps. Give my best to UG

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 5:45 pm 
OK so far here is what I have:

The Axles are made by Aisin (who are they anyway?) or Mitsubishi.

The gears are 4.56 for 4 speed and 4.10 for automatics. Additionally in a search here, I found a post where everyone with a 4X4 has found that their gears are 4.10.

So I have Mitsubishi axles, probably 4.10 gears. I dont know if its an 8 bolt or 10 bolt, but I can get my dad to email that to me (truck is 3 hours from me atm).

OK so what else do I need? The spline count? Can someone tell me what the spline count is for the original axles?

I'm assuming if I can tell my local 4X4 shop the following: maker (mitsubishi or aisin), gear (4.10), bolt count (8 or 10), spline count (anyone have this?), then that is all I need for them to do a lookup and see if they sell a posi or locking diff that will fit? Am I right? or is there other info they will need? Thanks for the help guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 8:48 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

the shop of your choice should be able to look up your year make and model . to find the parts for you, if they can`t do that i think i would find someone else to get parts through. i mean thats why they have computers and books. let them earn the money your about to spend. good luck terry :twisted:

Post subject: 4X4 diffs
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:43 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

I understand that the front diff is an 8 bolt and the rear is a 10 bolt, both are 17 spline count. Now the reference to the # of bolts is, the # that is in the ring gear on the carrier. The rear is the same that is under a 86 to 88 trooper. Powertrax makes a unit called a LOCK-RITE. really it works like a small spool, so you retain your carrier and ring and pinion. Which is good because you don't have to recal. the rear.I'm not sure if the locker will work in the front diff or not. I would love to know. If I get a chance to purchase one i will try and see if it will fit the front diff too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:39 pm 
Awesome! This is the info I was looking for! From what I've read in some articles, you want a locker in the rear and LSD in the front. Well, now that I know the spline count and bolt pattern, I should be able to find out if there are diffs that will fit. Thanks!

Post subject: AHAA!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:23 pm 
Take a look at this pdf:

http://www.powertrax.com/chevytrucklr.pdf

There's the rear locker I have been looking for (#3111). Now all we need to do is find a LSD for the front!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 7:22 pm 
That might quite possibly the coolest thing I have ever seen. Good work.
Persistance pays off :D