LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Straight axle 4x4
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:34 pm 

I've looked around and seen that toyota front axles work, but i haven't seen any posts with detail or pictures on HOW they did it. And would any of this work with a sbc swap with a turbo 350 and ford 9" rear?

Post subject: Re: Straight axle 4x4
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:01 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Sure.
The Toyota axle is the most popular for two reasons- width & lug pattern. LUV axle width is 54", a Toy pickup/4Runner front axle is 55-1/2", all share the same 6x5.5" lug pattern so the stock rear axle could be retained.
About the only other axles that are close to the correct width are Jeep CJs & very early Scouts, usually Dana 30 fronts, possibly Dana 44s in some rare cases. Rear could be any of several models. These had 5x5.5" lug patterns.
You won't find a Ford 9" the correct width, it will have to be narrowed, but a lot did come with in the 5x5.5" lug pattern, so a Jeep front might be a better match than a Toyota.

Post subject: Re: Straight axle 4x4
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:19 pm 

oldestisuzuist wrote:
Sure.
The Toyota axle is the most popular for two reasons- width & lug pattern. LUV axle width is 54", a Toy pickup/4Runner front axle is 55-1/2", all share the same 6x5.5" lug pattern so the stock rear axle could be retained.
About the only other axles that are close to the correct width are Jeep CJs & very early Scouts, usually Dana 30 fronts, possibly Dana 44s in some rare cases. Rear could be any of several models. These had 5x5.5" lug patterns.
You won't find a Ford 9" the correct width, it will have to be narrowed, but a lot did come with in the 5x5.5" lug pattern, so a Jeep front might be a better match than a Toyota.

Alright well then how would i go about doing the swap? Are there any topics on the site with pictures n such? And i only ask because my '80 has a narrowed 9" in the rear. Do you think there might be any fitment issues with a 350 swapped luv?