LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Ford Posi 8.8 Narrowed?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:06 pm 

I have a SBC 350 (bored to .040 over) with a roller cam, aftermarket performance heads, etc. etc. etc. (i'll do a different post when i actually get to work putting it in my Luv.

Anyway, my question is has anyone narrowed a Ford 8.8 posi from a Mustang (2003 i was told). What did you narrow it to? I need to change the gearing to 3.73.

Does anyone have a lead on a kit that would work? Gearing, axles, etc?

I am on a budget (the rear end cost me $100), so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:35 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I didn't do this in a LUV, but on my 66 mustang, I got an explorer 8.8 from a junkyard. I got another short side axle from a different explorer. Took it to a shop and had them cut and weld the long tube to match the short one. 2 7/8" if I remember correctly. Put the extra short axle into the newly shortened side. I also cut the old perches off and welded new ones on. Wasn't hard.

It's been a while since I did any research on this but I'm pretty sure the mustang axles have fewer splines than the explorers. So if you do this you'll want to source a mustang axle.

To be honest, the whole thing might have been cheaper, easier, and more durable if you'd gone the explorer route. Many explorers came with 3.73 gears. They're posi. More splines. Might think about selling the mustang rear and doing that. I think I have $150 in mine including the work done to it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:38 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The width after narrowing is 56.5" when done this way. Should work.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:43 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I did the same thing to an explorer 8.8 in my LUV that drummer is talking about, it didn't work, as mine is the stepside with the smallest rear fenders they make. If you have a fleet side, it should work, with the correct offset wheels. As for the car 8.8, it is most likely 28 spline, unless it is a high performance car from the factory (a plain v8 car usually has 28 splines). The explorer rears have 31 splines usually, and most of the time a posi. 3:73 is the most common ratio, but some had 4:10's.

FIAA!

SFPP!