LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Luv factory rear options
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 9:22 pm 
Afternoon all, I'm looking to see what kind of rear gears were available for the Chevy Luv. I've found some contridicting information and am hoping someone has some insight

Info i've seen
I've heard that the rear end gears used in the Luv's were a ford 8in rear, but i've also heard that they come from a mitsubishi. Secondly, i've heard that 4.10 and up were the only gear ratio's available and i've also heard that they ranged from 3.08 to 4.10.

I'm curious because if these are a mitsu rear, then there would be a lot of rear gear options out there, since dodge ram 50's and mighty max pick ups came w/ gears ranging from 3.54 to 3.91 (4.11's which are already in a luv tho) and the mitsu montero which actually has up to 4.63's. So, lot of options if these truly are a mitsu rear, lot of options if they are a ford as well. Just seems more plausible for Luv to get component parts from Mitsu than from Ford to me.

Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated.

penick000

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:15 pm 
Addicted to LUV

There has been a little discussion about this somewhere on the board (the search button is your friend). I think we came to the conclusion that there were two ratios 4.11 and 4.56. Most people have the 4.11 ratio even though it was supposed to be 4.56 for standards and 4.11 for auto.

I don't know about it being a Mitsubishi rear axle. If anything it's an Izusu. A few people on this site have swapped in a more common axle out of an newer S10 truck. Apparently the swap isn't too difficult and has a few advantages. Again, the search button is your friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 9:10 pm 
thanks ben, i did use the search button and found a lot of info, it was just contridicting. Thanks for some further clarification.

penick000

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:13 pm 
this space for rent

I realy find it hard to belive that the rear end is a mitsubishi. During the 80s they were a subsidiary of dodge and i dont think GM would use Chrysler parts. If they are not an Isuzu then they will be Aisin (they make the hub and axle assemblies for Isuzu and Toyota)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 11:39 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Yes, I think I read somewhere here on the board that they are Aisin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 6:02 pm 
I have heard that they are Mitsubishi or Aisin. Also that they are 4.56 for manual, 4.10 for auto, and 4.10 for 4X4. A call to a local tranny shop verified that "japanese" part numbers were called out for the parts. I recently bought a GM shop manual for my Series 10, and it simply states that the gears are 4.10, with no difference mentioned between manual, auto, or 4X4.