LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:48 pm 

Hi Zelelelachlan: Putting my two cents worth in. I have a '72 LUV with a 425 hp Vortec with a th350 and B&M 2200 stall speed converter. I'm running a Ford 8.8 posi with 3:73s. I run right at 3500 at 70 mph, so I try to stay under 60 mph. I'm a drag racer and the 3:73s are a nice middle ground, but I kind of wish I would have gone with 3:50s or thereabouts. It's great around town and surprised a few Fords, up to 50 mph (I never hit it on a busy street and get off it right away). Ford 8.8s are the new 9 inch. They are strong and can handle 5 to 6 hundred hp. Yes, you have to consider narrowing it and custom axles; but in the long run, I think it's a pretty good set up. That's my input.
3rd Luv :esmile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:04 pm 

Just my thoughts on the topic. I have a '72 LUV with a 425 hp Vortec and th350 with 2200 stall speed B&M tc. I'm running a Ford 8.8 posi with 3:73s and 26" tall tires. At 70 mph I'm turning 3500 rpm, so I try to keep it down below 60 on the freeway. I'm a drag racer so I chose 3:73s as a middle ground, but kind of now wish I would have gone with 3:55s. These little LUVs are lite (2700 lbs) so one doesn't need a lot of gear to get them off the line. I chose the Ford 8.8 because they're the new 9" and can handle 6 to 700 hp, and come with disc brakes. Yes, you would most likely have to narrow the housing and get custom axles, to do it right, but in the long run it would be worth it. That's my two cents.
3rd Luv :esmile

ps: Didn't see my first reply so did it again. Tried to cancel, but oooopps!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:31 pm 

I got a 1985 Toyota 4x4 rear to put in my LUV, I just got it bolted it and slowly starting to realize that it's upside down. The drain plug is on top. The wheel cylinders are on the bottom. The brake hose points rearward and downward. I'm guessing the Toyota 4x4 suspension puts the rear end UNDER the springs, while the LUV setup has the rear end sitting ON the springs. I guess I will have to cut off the old spring perches and weld in new ones. I wish I had known this before I did all the work of putting it in!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:45 pm 

I ended up picking up a 3RD rear end :?

I have the rear end from the Trooper and i'm changing the 3rd member out of a Isuzu Pick-up (it had the right engine) which is 4.11. These reason for the swap is the trooper has discs and the pick up does not... so i'm trying to get the best of both worlds!

Thanks for everyone's help!