LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:48 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Exhaust-Ma ... 100623.m-1

Will that bolt on to my 1980 Luv 1.8L engine? I want to go dual exhaust on my little truck, but I'm not too thrilled with the idea of hacking up a brand new set of Pacesetters and welding together a couple collectors. If I can use that manifold and get the corresponding down pipe, I could get my local exhaust guy to finish the rest pretty easy (for about half the price of the headers and stuff!).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:49 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

It should bolt up to the head, but it won't "fit" very well. A LUV engine has square exhaust ports, the 2.6 engine has round ports, so they don't match. BTW the latest Pacesetter headers for LUVs also have round ports, so it may not be that much of a problem. Second thing, from what I remember the two-into-one piece is prone the cracking & very hard to come by, plus it is very short so it may be quite difficult to split into two separate pipes. Using this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jex-su4-4/overview/ behind a Pacesetter header would be a simple matter without cutting up the header.
IMO the best method for LUV twin tail pipes is to split behind a single muffler at about the rear axle, then exit with smaller pipes. Stock LUV exhaust including the muffler runs down the frame on the opposite side from the fuel tank, twin pipes split at the exhaust manifold would have to do the same because there's no room to on the tank side for one pipe. This might also require two mufflers which may cause space problems, then the actual tailpipes would diverge about the rear axle the same as if you only had a single exhaust to this point. From what I remember the stock single exhaust actually passes through a dedicated hole in a frame crossmember, if so there's not room for two separated pipes.
Be careful about using too large exhaust piping, without a certain amount of backpressure a LUV exhaust sounds terrible. On my truck I installed a single oversize pipe from the header through a low restriction muffler, it "chuckled" at low RPMs so badly I had to add a resonator between the muffler & tail pipe.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:59 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I am trying to do 4 into 2 true duals, rather than the 4 into 1 into 2 system.

But it sounds like it's not going to work. I'm trying to figure out how I did it on my last Luv back in the 90's. Mind you, that was using JC Whitney's dual exhaust headers that I think were from Hedman. Two completely different pieces of metal that bolted to the head. Then two completely separate 1.25" pipes that exited in front of the rear wheels out each side. I do know the mufflers were tiny, like 6" long mini Flowmasters or something. It was a little obnoxious as far as volume when I really got on it and there was a distinct "blurble" when coming off higher RPM's, but it sounded SOOOO nice in the tunnel under Long Beach airport!! :D

Well, I may have to rethink this a little...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:40 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I have a dual in/dual out single muffler on my v8 hard body due to the stock fuel tank location similar to a luv.

FIAA!

SFPP!