LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: V6 build questions
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:05 pm 

I'm building a 91 Chevy V6 4.3 for my 80 Luv. I've had the block boiled and magnafluxed. I'm bored .040 with flat top pistons and stock rods. The crank has been polished and stock. I'm going to run a performer dual plane intake with an edel 600 carb. I have a dual chain timing setup. I have Vortex heads which I have ported and polished. This is a non-balanced V6. I'm going to run headers. I'm using a 350 tranny with mild stall into 3;42 rear end gears in an S10 posi rearend. I'm going to run an HEI distributor. I'll be running 15" wheels 5 bolt. This is going to be a street driver only, no hard hole shots. Well, maybe a few "roll and go"
I've said all this to ask for help in selecting a cam. I want to use my stock roller lifters and valve train. All the valve components are new. Any suggestions..... What are you using? Bob

Post subject: Re: V6 build questions
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:47 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I wouldn't know myself but I can recommend that you check out Clay Smith Cams. I know them through drag racing and they would be happy to help I'm sure.
http://www.claysmithcams.com/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:51 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I run a 91 block with vortec heads as well
I'm running a compcams 270* hydraulic roller cam, with LS6 "Beehive" (they're blue) progressive valve springs and compcams retainers and have had no issues with it. I bought my springs and retainers for a v8 application so I have spares without extra cost
I'm running stock type pistons, shorty headers etc but mine is street driven.

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:27 pm 

Thanks for the reply. Do you know the number of the comp cam 270 that your running. I had the block bored .040 with aluminum pistons. New mains and rod bearings on a polished crank. I'm also running 350 valve springs. I ported and polished the Vortec heads even though they were real close compared to stock heads. I was building a V8 for my Luv and had bought all the parts like pistons, rings bearings, timing gears and all the valve components. I've used 6 of everything and also have 2 spares. Couldn't use the rod bearings, too small. When I had the V8 block boiled and magna fluxed, found it was cracked so I decided to go V6. I'm running a 600 Edel. What size carb are you running?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:31 pm 

I'm old school here and have never seen non-adjustable rockers. Do they just torque down with no adjustment???? I like the threaded rocker shafts.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:03 pm 
Addicted to LUV

bobb wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Do you know the number of the comp cam 270 that your running. I had the block bored .040 with aluminum pistons. New mains and rod bearings on a polished crank. I'm also running 350 valve springs. I ported and polished the Vortec heads even though they were real close compared to stock heads. I was building a V8 for my Luv and had bought all the parts like pistons, rings bearings, timing gears and all the valve components. I've used 6 of everything and also have 2 spares. Couldn't use the rod bearings, too small. When I had the V8 block boiled and magna fluxed, found it was cracked so I decided to go V6. I'm running a 600 Edel. What size carb are you running?

I will have to hunt through my receipt folder and try to find the pn. There are only two 270* .500" lift cams on their site the difference is the year model of engine it goes on
I was running an Edelbrock 500cfm with mech secondary but I sold it and bought a Holley 450 vac secondary to try and get bearable mileage. Have to find the vac leak i have going on so I can tune it. Truck hasn't moved much in quite a while
I also gasket matched and ported my heads mostly just for the experience and some of the ports we're really lopsided and obstructed. Had to gasket match the intake which was disappointing and tedious without a proper aluminum bit on my tool

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:14 pm 

Hey there! Can I ask what headers you ended up using? I’ve got a lead on some that will fit the motor I’m having built (v6 4.3 as well) but unsure how they’ll fit with the truck. Hoping to get some insight from someone who’s done this swap!
Thanks!

bobb wrote:
I'm building a 91 Chevy V6 4.3 for my 80 Luv. I've had the block boiled and magnafluxed. I'm bored .040 with flat top pistons and stock rods. The crank has been polished and stock. I'm going to run a performer dual plane intake with an edel 600 carb. I have a dual chain timing setup. I have Vortex heads which I have ported and polished. This is a non-balanced V6. I'm going to run headers. I'm using a 350 tranny with mild stall into 3;42 rear end gears in an S10 posi rearend. I'm going to run an HEI distributor. I'll be running 15" wheels 5 bolt. This is going to be a street driver only, no hard hole shots. Well, maybe a few "roll and go"
I've said all this to ask for help in selecting a cam. I want to use my stock roller lifters and valve train. All the valve components are new. Any suggestions..... What are you using? Bob