LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Vortec heads swap
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:39 pm 

I'm installing a 91 4.3 V6 into my 80 Luv 2wd. I'm changing the heads to the Vortec from an 01 truck. Will my stock roller cam and lifters work alright with these newer heads. I'm going with a carb setup and eliminating the TBI setup. What distributor will I need to run an HEI unit.

Attachments:
rsz_img_3514.jpg
rsz_img_3514.jpg [ 189.62 KiB | Viewed 2325 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Vortec heads swap
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:23 pm 

Hello Bobb; Looks like you have the same project I had a while back( 1 Yr). I have a 1980 LUV stepside like yours. I put a 4.3l V6 from a 1995 Blazer in mine along with a 700R4 tran. The V6 swap fit so much nicer than the V8 I originally planned. I was having much trouble getting the EFI and computer hooked up, I almost traded for a carb setup, like you mentioned. Several guys here said to keep the EFI (not a throttle body, separate nozzels, forgot what its called) so I did and it works great now. I was told I would have to swap to a regular distributor as the EFI dist was computer controlled. Sorry I can't be much help there! I would think there would be a lot of assistance here on whether your cam/lifters will work with Vortec heads. I would think they would. My '95 engine says Vortec on it but it is not true Vortec. Good luck on the project!

Post subject: Re: Vortec heads swap
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:49 pm 
Addicted to LUV

bobb wrote:
I'm installing a 91 4.3 V6 into my 80 Luv 2wd. I'm changing the heads to the Vortec from an 01 truck. Will my stock roller cam and lifters work alright with these newer heads. I'm going with a carb setup and eliminating the TBI setup. What distributor will I need to run an HEI unit.

This I have a little experience with..
I run a 91 4.3 with 97 vortec heads. Edelbrock makes an Intake just for this. #2114
Cam is the one that matters... I think you're perfectly safe on stock cam. I'm running a compcams cam and never used stock with this combo so I can't be sure but none of that changed with the heads except where it meets the timing pulley or something like that.. compcams had something about it on their site if u want to confirm parts interchange.

Distributor is basically whatever year engine you have. I have used a couple various eBay HEI ones and all worked. Going to one without internal coil because the ones with a built in coil are bulky and I have a brand new MSD coil collecting dust.

Great looking truck too :smt023

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride