LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Engine swap
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:08 pm 

Has anybody done a 2jz swap in a luv yet? If thinking it would be to long of a motor. But if so, can you post oictures? And do you think you would need to cut the firewall?

Post subject: Re: Engine swap
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:34 pm 
Addicted to LUV

This is about the 6th thread on doing the swap. All signs point to no, it won't fit...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:59 pm 

WWWHHHYYYYY, wount it fit? Bc I wount be running a radiator at all. This is a truck truck and that's it. So with no radiator and cut the firewall a little, it still wount fit?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:49 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Wow.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:06 am 
Addicted to LUV

Sigghhh...

Let's cut to the chase... Saves time this way... I am on a lot of boards besides this one, so it usually goes this way...

I reply that it doesn't fit because you asked if it fit without cutting the firewall, and left out the part about not running a radiator...

The usual response contains something along the lines of me being rude, the poster is just asking questions...

My reply is usually along the lines of "if you knew it would work, you are wasting everyones time, I said it doesn't fit, since if you have to ask , you probably don't have the ability"....

Poster complains to the mods and admin, I LOL...

A thread gets started with the truck stripped down, and the cab and core support hacked up... "We're making progress!"

A few months later, what is left of it is for sale in the classifieds here...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:12 am 

I never said I didnt wanna cut the firewall, I don't mind cutting it actually. And I'm not running a radiator. This truck will NEVER be sold. With that being said, instead of going on and on with shit that is irrelevant, how about making a positive statement and explaining WHY it wount fit. And as far as having the experience or know how, I rebuild power plants all across the world, I think I can handle a little 6 cylinder in a little truck. Anybody care to give real experience or rea son as to why it will or will not fit?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:24 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Your original post didn't mention anything about cutting anything,except the firewall ,so the general assumption is that you wanted to fit it into a stock truck. Since you are willing to cut anything and everything,which I am 100% in favor of, then,sure,anything and everything can be made to fit,as proved by myriad hot rod shows on the Discovery channel. I personally have on occasion looked longingly at the Ford 200ci/c4 combo and at a local Chevy 250/th350 combo. My vote is get to cuttin'.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:18 pm 

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Let me restart, this truck will be a strip only toy for the most part. Will not have a radiator up front, if I need one I'll mount a small one in the bed. And I don't mind cutting the firewall a little bit. With that being said, has anyone ever put a 2jz in a luv that might have some pictures? On MY truck the core cupport will be cut out and I will be building a tubular design one, roll cage bars will come out the top corners of the firewall and go down to the front frame rails, and the firewall cut of course. The 2jz I'm building will make around 1300hp to the wheels and I'll be putting it to the ground through 28x10.5 slicks and it might see a set of 275 drag radials every once in awhile. With the help of caltracs for now. But it will be getting back halved next year. I created this post hoping someone could share some pictures or somthing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:39 am 

I don't think you are going to find the pictures you're requesting because they don't exist. If someone has swapped a 2JZ into a Luv, it hasn't made it on the internet yet.

That being said, your game plan is allover the place based on your posts.

Do you have a block to start with, or have you even looked up the overall dims of a 2JZ? If you want to do this, you are going to have to be the pioneer. I'm in the same boat with my current swap. No one else has done it specifically to a Luv, so I have to figure things out on my own. There is plenty of info out there about stuffing 2JZs into obscure vehicles, you just have to utilize that info and tweak it to fit your application.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:45 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

1. If you have to butcher up the truck, it doesn't fit.
2. You're going to need some type of radiator even for a drag truck.
3, Trucks are inheirently light in the a$$, which equates to no traction.
4. Putting in an engine that will have its center in front of the axle will put all of the additional weight on the front axle, causing stopping issues.
5. If you do run it make sure you've got laundry to toss out at the end of the run to keep it straight.
6. Most importantly WHY? You can do a much easier, safer swap with a V6/V8. Yes everybody has one, that should be a clue as to the feasability of your idea. Nothing wrong with thinking out of the box, but. I have put diesels in them. With a turbo they were pretty fast.
If you really want to do it then cut the firewall out and set the engine back into the cab. We had to do that yeas ago when putting PT boat V12 allissons in gassers. You just have a smaller area for the driver next to the engine. Although you could put a cage and driver in the bed. I've actually seen that once. Didn't run well.
Bottom line no it doesn't fit without butchering up the truck and most that try, end up not finishing. The odds are interesting, as the number of people that try to do an engine swap on thier own, not pre engineered mounts etc, less than 50% ever get finished. The reasons are numerous, but.
Name it and in over 50 years, I've most likely done it and know what the out come will be.
However GOOD LUCK, maybe you'll get it done.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:53 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

So why dont you just put a ls in it? It has been done before and you can get a ton of hp out of one. Plus if you grenade it they have a lot more in the salvage yard.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:57 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

mytmouz wrote:
Sigghhh...

Let's cut to the chase... Saves time this way... I am on a lot of boards besides this one, so it usually goes this way...

I reply that it doesn't fit because you asked if it fit without cutting the firewall, and left out the part about not running a radiator...

The usual response contains something along the lines of me being rude, the poster is just asking questions...

My reply is usually along the lines of "if you knew it would work, you are wasting everyones time, I said it doesn't fit, since if you have to ask , you probably don't have the ability"....

A thread gets started with the truck stripped down, and the cab and core support hacked up... "We're making progress!"

Perfection.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:08 am 
Addicted to LUV

Pretty much plays out like Groundhog Day.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:58 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

mytmouz wrote:
Sigghhh...

Then you have people like me who take years to get it done but finally do. Lol
Obtw I am making a little bit of progress every day. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:05 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Not to highjack , I have nothing to add to the J2z motor swap , but I was on the phone with 3 different guys today about swaps. These guys are experienced car guys who have done like for like motor replacement . Motor swaps are tough to complete and make nice .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:07 pm 
Addicted to LUV

jadejade13 wrote:
Has anybody done a 2jz swap in a luv yet? If thinking it would be to long of a motor. But if so, can you post oictures? And do you think you would need to cut the firewall?

Hasn't been done yet, isn't impossible especially if you plan to use an automatic since you dont have to worry about shifter location as much.
You can make anything fit if you feel like chopping up your firewall and having to lift the cab to get to your back spark plug(s) etc.
However a 2jz weighs as much as a Chevy small block so it isn't ideal as far as lbs per ci goes, I would try to find an aluminum block LS V8 like the 5.3. you can turbo one cheap and make solid power all day long and have options for drop in mounts, better transmissions for drag racing etc..
That said I would love to see a 2J powers luv. Just don't want to see a luv hacked up and never finished and end up scrapped. Not enough good ones left to be scrapping any.

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride