LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:55 am 

This is my first post here so bear with me! I'm in the process (well not me, my mechanic) of swapping a 1995 chevy Blazer 4.3L V6 engine into my 1980 LUV. I made sure the whole computer business came with the engine. I just talked to the mechanic doing the swap and he's having fits over the wiring of the computer and fuel injection. I'm beginning to wish I'd opted for an older engine, but the Vortec sounded good. I need opinions on whether I should scrap the whole fuel injection system and go with an Edelbrock intake and 500cfm carb or try to get the fuel injection system up and running. I think the carb would be much more reliable and that's what I'm looking for. What do you guys think? Thanks for any advice. Cimarron

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:04 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Look into a painless wiring harness.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:24 pm 

Looked into that, $450 for a harness, not going to happen. Rather spend it on carb.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm 
Addicted to LUV

If you get away from the ECM for injection make sure you can use the stock distributor. You might have to change that to a standalone one too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:40 pm 
Addicted to LUV

To go carb you need a intake manifold or an adapter plate of your current one is tbi. Also a new distributor since the stock one needs a computer to advance timing. and a carb. $$$
Also i have a 500 on 4.3 and it is a tad much i was better with a holley 450 vac secondary off an old (60s?) ford and will switch back eventually.

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:17 am 

Thanks for the comments you guys. We got some info on the fuel injection, but still looking at swapping out for a carb set up. The whole swap will cost around $500 plus the cost of new distributor. I still think the carb would be much more reliable.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:56 am 
Addicted to LUV

cimarron wrote:
Thanks for the comments you guys. We got some info on the fuel injection, but still looking at swapping out for a carb set up. The whole swap will cost around $500 plus the cost of new distributor. I still think the carb would be much more reliable.

I have tbi injection on a v8 swap in my Nissan hardbody, anfd my 67 malibu will be injected also. Down to only 2 carbs now, both in my LUVs. Pretty sure I am swapping the street LUV over at some point. I too was once leary of the computer...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:12 am 
Addicted to LUV

Reliable eh... Maybe? But the tbi has a lot of advantages in consistency and cold, starts mileage etc etc...
The 500s are mechanical secondary and a tad oversize even on my motor. Is yours a stock 4.3?
I would highly recommend keeping the tbi its a carb but better... A 500 is the same as a 666 on a 350. A 450 is equal to a 600... The 500 is more for 302 v8 displacement. Check out a cfm calculator you barely need over a 390

Also not to be a downer but the 95 doesnt have the good vortec heads. Yes the covers say vortec but the kidney bean shaped high flowing "vortec" chambered heads didnt come in until 96

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:17 pm 

If you stay with the computer you can have it looked at by a referee and get it smog legal in california. As long as the setup is newer and all the original equipment is with it and functional you'll be good. This includes the original cat and sensors (which you need anyway). For me I purchased a pre 76 and slapped one in with 5 speed 3500. I did all sorts of work to it and reached about 410 at the crank but man it's a lot of work. You gotta look at what your gonna do with it. If you live in CA you'll want to be able to smog it but if you live any where else (pretty much) then simplicity is king. You can easily build that thing to pump out 250-300 hp and not be too expensive and with that coupled with overdrive you can cruise it on the highway nicely. What's nice about the v6 is you don't have to chop the core support up. Mine fit like glove.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:59 pm 

Yeah, we're progressing on the fuel injection. Going to try and stay with it. That's the reason I wanted to stay with a V6, the perfect fit. Didn't want to do a lot of chopping and grinding. Went with a 700R4 and didn't need too much alteration to tunnel. Also, wanted to stay with original rear end. Should handle the 200 HP with ease. Going to be a street machine so don't need a lot of expensive parts. The PowerbyAce mounts made the engine and trans fit like factory. Now, it's all the little things that must be done, now. It all takes time! And money!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:27 pm 

After almost a year, I'm finally getting my '80 Luv back in my garage! A lot of little things sure slow you down. The computer and Fuel injection hook-up was a mess. The salvage yard I got the engine from cut every thing attached to the engine to remove it from the Blazer. I guess they didn't realize, the computer was part of the package. Then they bring out the wrong computer. Little things like that drove us crazy. The distributor just barely hit the firewall and wouldn't allow for any advance. Chevy garage helped by moving the spark plug wires around counter clock-wise, which allowed for more rotation in the distributor. Neat trick! The electric fuel pump wasn't getting a full 12 volts so the pressure was low. The wiring was re -done and now getting 72-75 psi for the injectors. Runs very well, now. The 700R4 works very well. It doesn't stay in 1st very long but it doesn't need to. Shifts very nicely! I think I'm going to like it! The young son really likes it!