LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:04 pm 

Hi all,
Well I had this for sale in the classifieds, couldn't sell it so hey now I am finishing it!

73 Luv stepside.
came with a complete 1985 350 corvette engine and trans.
Has a 5 lug chevy disc brake conversion in the front, newer Luv disc's redrilled.
removed the TPI system for another project, using the 350 base motor with a 4bbl, alum intake and Pertronix ignition in a stock vacume advance dist. left over from my other car project.
The vette 700R4 has a unique case and trans mount...wont work.
I put in a fully rebuilt 700R4/4L60 not an E though.
02 S-10 Blazer 3.42 rear end w/disc brakes.
Tried the Ace kit, motor mounts bolted in nice, set the motor too far back in the truck.
When I cut out the old stock mounts...wow they are weak.
Came with the hooker kit, modded the th350 trans mount cut it shorter worked great. Front mounts are nice need to be welded but it fits better.
using block huggers they will work for now @$88.00
The tunnel was already cut out unfortunately gotta fix that.
Truck is 98% rust free and the body is really nice.
We may try it at the Barona 1/8 mile drags soon!

Here are some pics

Attachments:
luv sm3.jpg
luv sm3.jpg [ 238.41 KiB | Viewed 13201 times ]
luv sm2.jpg
luv sm2.jpg [ 283.07 KiB | Viewed 13201 times ]
luv sm1.jpg
luv sm1.jpg [ 265.77 KiB | Viewed 13201 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:58 pm 
Addicted to LUV

:ebiggrin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:06 am 

Glad you kept it. Tried to sell mine in the past, but after four V-8's and 36 years later my Luv is still with me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:59 am 

Yes, I am happy I kept it...
It's too hard to find a nice one with no rust and all the parts it came with.
Most of the ones I see for sale cheap are beat up, missing parts, and rusty.

So I am working on it, new water pump (short), pulleys, alternator mount, cool summit aluminum stuff cheap too.
hope to have it running in a week or so, still needs a re-wire and radiator + a fan, probably gonna use an electric fan. I have a large late model alternator and the wiring skills to do it right. Exhaust system too....wish I could weld good, need the mounts done.

Oh it has the cool 70's sunroof, rear slider window, old pioneer stereo, and probably a "stull" square tube grill with quad headlights, I remember all this stuff when I was young...kinda nostalgic. Wheels are 16 x 8 from a 1991 Camaro Z-28 or RS.
I rode in many of my friends Luv's back in the 70's and 80's.

I was selling it because I have too many projects to work on...now its too far along to stop.

I already have a major project going on...my 69 Chevelle restomod...LS1/6 speed and all the goodies..
It received new floors firewall to trunk, quarters, wheelwells, new doors, fenders and SS hood.
A semi rusty convertible from back east.
I am a major gearhead, doing the swap and chassis myself, body is at the body shop still.

I Hope to make this LUV a cool cruiser and parts runner. Make a pass at the drags occasionally.

I am very open to your suggestions or ideas as I am experienced but am always learning.
The exhaust system is a challenge, maybe a single turbo would be easier with one pipe in the stock location?
I like that idea!....my wallet doesn't...:( I almost bought a 3.8 V6 and put a turbo on it to be different.

Thanks for the comments!

Attachments:
chvlle sm1.jpg
chvlle sm1.jpg [ 208.02 KiB | Viewed 13135 times ]
luv sm4.jpg
luv sm4.jpg [ 228.48 KiB | Viewed 13135 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:32 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I have a dual in/dual out single turbo muffler on my v8 nissan due to being easier to package it with the stock gas tank. I have true duals on my street LUV as I relocated the gas tank on it...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:54 pm 

Thanks guys for the ideas,
As for turbo I meant a single blow through turbo system.
the manifolds and single turbo kit on ebay cost about the same as the Hooker headers..
plus I can run a single exhaust down the passenger side in the stock location (I think?)
Sure I know its a cheap turbo but hey I can upgrade later if it works. The chrome manifolds are really nice.
I had a couple 87 Buick GN's back in the 90's plus a kit on my old V6 Ford Ranger custom built at Ak Millers in Orange County, CA.
any of you remember who Ak Miller is??/was...? don't know if that shop is still open.
a small turbo on a 350 with 6 psi should be awesome..my 2.8 V6 ranger ran 6-7 psi of boost, didn't have forged pistons or an intercooler and lived a long life towing boats (small 19') and going to the Yuma area often in Summer in the mid 1990's. It did have 4.56 gears 31" tires and was a 4x4. The crew at Ak millers set up the carb and fuel pump. Here is a pic with the new aluminum goodies from Summit, line up perfectly, all for about $150.00 both pulleys and the trick alternator bracket.
I had the alternator left over.
hope to start it soon, gotta massage the firewall to put on the distributor cap....

Attachments:
luvsm5.jpg
luvsm5.jpg [ 230.23 KiB | Viewed 13029 times ]
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:31 pm 

Oh yeah, it actually runs!
The 1985 350 TPI motor that came with the truck actually runs pretty good.
Can't run it too long though! no cooling system.....

Ordered the 342B Howe radiator.

I could sure use some advise on some molded hoses, I like to use them instead of the flex ones...

Suggestions anyone? The Ace suggested Dayco M30 and M21 are not a correct part number locally.

Gotta hook up the 700R4 trans, I always slide the torque converter back and leave out the bolts until I am sure the motor runs good and isn't coming out again....

So I need a dipstick (I'll use a flex Lokar) kick down/shift cable.. I have some left over hard fluid lines and a nice B&M cooler.
as for the driveshaft I have a couple....I'm sure Ill have to mod one of them though there's 2 good driveshaft shops here locally.

I have to re-wire the entire truck, and find a nice electric fan set up..plus the exhaust system....

Suggestions on a fan to use??

Thanks to all!!

I have read so many articles on the site dealing with a new fuse box, engine swap, headers/manifolds, trans choice, rear axle choice...etc...
tons of info here!

Hope to drive it in July.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:22 pm 

Well its getting there...
Check out the radiator hose fit..., I used stock hoses from a 69 Chevelle 350 or any sbc, cut them down to fit.
I started out by looking at the top hose from my former Chevelle/sbc package, I used my original top hose and bought a new lower one.
I put a little grease on the bottom one to get it too fit on the radiator outlet due to cutting it back.

Now I am re-wiring the truck, and getting the trans cooler, lines, dipstick and cables hooked up.

not sure what to do about a fan set up yet....

suggestions? advise anyone?

Thanks!

Attachments:
LUV sm rad 02.jpg
LUV sm rad 02.jpg [ 228.38 KiB | Viewed 12860 times ]
LUV sm rad 01.jpg
LUV sm rad 01.jpg [ 211.73 KiB | Viewed 12860 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:09 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I just re-did my radiator a week or 2 ago. I had to replace the flex fan at the time due to a cracked blade on the old one. It looks like you have almost enough room now and I think with a steel pulley would sit back a little more. The fan said it should be 1.5 inches from the radiator.

Attachment:
fan.JPG
fan.JPG [ 570.29 KiB | Viewed 12855 times ]

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:08 am 

Thanks LUVTRKR,
I see u are using a modded stock size radiator is that right?
Awesome no cutting the core support! Very nice.

I was surprised at how much I had to cut up the core support...now I have to revise the grill mounting brackets for the tube grill...bummer.
I will look for a nice flex fan set up, that seems like the cheapest and most reliable set up. Back in the 80's I did a 351 W swap into a Pinto...used an exposed flex fan and a 60's V8 mustang downflow radiator I was always concerned about my fingers ! I think I will put a cover over the radiator top and cover the fan top for safety. I have seen some top half fan shrouds too.
I have another old car that had a old basic heavy 4 blade stock fan from the 50's on it...the radiator was nice so I added a later model clutch fan and a shroud, that car runs cool and the cooling system works excellent, never gets hot.
Our Luv's just don't have the room.
I used the new fuse box shown in a past post, bolted into the same holes...looks good.

Pictures of your fan set ups would be great, what works and what doesn't??

Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:53 am 

So some progress made, radiator mounts all done, B & M trans cooler installed, bought a flex fan from Summit works really well and pulls a lot of air. I did the paper test and it pulls a lot of air thru, even tried to suck it thru the radiator as I revved it up. That's a good cost saving solution.
Disassembled down to the long block to weld in the motor mounts, sold the shorty headers in a day on C/L.

New (used) Hooker headers and exhaust going in, bought here on luvtruck.com
driveshaft and pinion seal done.
Bell Tech Nitro Drop II shocks front and rear.

Lokar trans mount 700R4 shifter this weekend, should be on the road in 2 weeks....need to fix the trans tunnel, it was cut out by the P/O. looking for a replacement in the classifieds.

69 Chevelle coming along and draining my cash and time.....

Once the truck is done I will paint the exterior. Then maybe after I drive it for a couple months or a year and decide I really like it I will take it apart and restore and paint it in and out, detail the engine compartment.

One car at a time....there's another one under the tarp outside to finish before the LUV gets the resto.

Attachments:
IMG_1396sm.jpg
IMG_1396sm.jpg [ 89.12 KiB | Viewed 12665 times ]
IMG_1329sm.jpg
IMG_1329sm.jpg [ 141.39 KiB | Viewed 12665 times ]
IMG_1369sm.jpg
IMG_1369sm.jpg [ 246.08 KiB | Viewed 12665 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:48 am 

1st test drive around the block today...wow its been a while since I brought it home.
Rides nice, steering is easy for the front weight and no power steering. Rebuilt trans shifts good, didn't get over 30 mph though.
Needs the alternator hooked up, (done tonight and tested) brakes bled again, 4th gear lock up solenoid wire connected, volt gauge hooked up, and a few minor things.
Hooker headers clear nice, radiator set up is great, welded on new brackets for the tube grill and mounted it. Need to replace a couple lights and align them.

I have looked around for a nice complete stock grill to replace this one, but they are rare and expensive. Seems like a nice set up is like $300-500.00 (bezels, buckets & grill) You can buy a whole Luv truck for only $1,200....??
I will re-chrome and re-paint the one I have, make it like new.

A fuel gauge would be nice too, I installed an adjustable marine sender in the stock tank, so I will need a new matching gauge. I have read the posts about the original ones, hard to fix and get parts. Seemed easier to put in a marine set up. I had an extra one while working on a boat recently.

I don't know about the rest of you all, but I do get some satisfaction when a vehicle I buy, which has been sitting for a long while, (like 10 years)
gets driven again. Seems I have done this too many times before...
I will drive it more this week.

your comments and recommendation are welcome.

Thanks for all the tips and info on this site!

Attachments:
luvsm2.jpg
luvsm2.jpg [ 228.09 KiB | Viewed 12491 times ]
luvsm3.jpg
luvsm3.jpg [ 202.46 KiB | Viewed 12491 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:10 am 
Addicted to LUV

Oh , it only gets better . Once the trips get a bit longer and you get more comfortable with it . Your Chevelle will be a stunner for sure , but this little truck will gain a huge amount of attention . Truck is coming along nicely .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:37 am 

Thanks for the encouragement hotrod80, its been a long road...this truck was a mess when I got it...
Looking forward to an abundance of power! My wife says it sounds pretty "bad a _ _ " with the headers, straight 3" pipes and 3" bullet mufflers.
Gonna be a cool little cruiser when it's done.

I have seen your builds as well as mytmouz's plus the others here on the site, some of the fab skills and race prepped trucks you guys build are first rate.
I feel for the guys doing rust repair on their LUV's (I can relate) some of the restorations I see here are as good as it gets. I wish I had the skills to do it all...

I am learning as I go...more driving and updates to come!

Attachments:
luvsm5.jpg
luvsm5.jpg [ 248.35 KiB | Viewed 12444 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:11 am 

Well some bad news...I had to take the truck apart again....wow what a pain in the a----
now I might as well paint and detail the engine compartment.

My newly rebuilt 700R4 transmission shifted fine around the neighborhood, then on a longer ride driving up the nearby highway I use for testing it even seemed fine shifting thru all the gears and overdrive, it soon started making a metallic sound in the trans I could hear it since I have no trans tunnel! Trans is right there next to me!
then no go at all no gears nothing. It only lasted about 7 miles.
I let it rest and cool down it would go in gear for a few feet and then nothing. I put my hand on it while running the trans was warm, not too hot.
$50.00 for a flatbed tow home.
The fluid was full and I'm pretty sure I adjusted the TV cable correctly. Dropped the pan, some black/grey residue in the pan bottom.
So its back at the trans shop...this shop has done maybe 6 automatic trans rebuilds for me in the last 15 years always excellent work, its under warranty if it's not my fault. So another couple weeks....

Any transmission experts out there?

Could it be the pump or converter? (both rebuilt units)

Attachments:
IMG_1520sm.jpg
IMG_1520sm.jpg [ 201.25 KiB | Viewed 12379 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:46 pm 

Truck is back together, engine compartment painted, looks much better.
700 R4 was fine but the torque converter failed...trans shop warrantied it, flushed and cleaned, replaced converter.
flushed lines and cooler added a cooler filter as recommended by the shop. Never heard of that, Wix makes a nice little in line filter kit easy install on the return leg from the cooler back to the transmission.
So a good test drive made it back to the house fine this time!! Shifts great to 4th and lock up, cruises great at 65+ just loafs along plenty of power, a little loud though, rides and drives very nice.
It was low 90's Sunday out my way no overheating problems, good oil pressure, 13.5 volts charging, almost made a hardware store run.....
So far so good! Now for the trans tunnel completion. Fiberglass may be the way to go with some glue on insulation.
Gonna put on a drop base air filter and see if the hood fits/works.
The front is a little low, will adjust the torsion bars up a little.
Prime the body etc....still needs a marine gas gauge too.

Attachments:
luvsm12.jpg
luvsm12.jpg [ 173.32 KiB | Viewed 12070 times ]
luvsm10.jpg
luvsm10.jpg [ 239.24 KiB | Viewed 12070 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:26 am 
Addicted to LUV

Man that thing is coming along really nice!

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:44 am 

Thanks love4theluv, it's getting closer....hope to drive it more this weekend. Hook up a fuel gauge etc...that would be smart..

I really like your set up..vortec V6 with the NV3500, plenty of power and O/D..gotta have the 5th gear or O/D these days.

I'm gonna try to get a hood on it also this weekend...

Attachments:
luvrsm01.jpg
luvrsm01.jpg [ 163.03 KiB | Viewed 12019 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:03 pm 
Addicted to LUV

It does okay but the 5th gear isnt as fast as i would like with the 4.10 diff. With the 30" rear tires it does okay on highway now. 2400ish at 55. 3000ish at 70

I didnt have my fuel gauge set up for the first few months and i ran out a LOT.. Just kept a 5 gallon jug full in the bed. I have a s10 temp sensor hooked up to my gauge. Sits at the bottom line at normal temp.. If it ever reaches the normal temp line im about to blow a rad hose off :lol:

If i wasnt so fond of manual transmissions i would have used a 700r4, 30% o/d sounds great

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:01 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I run the stock temp sensor in my small block. I don't need a full set to of aftermarket gauges. If it gets hot and blows or if the oil pressure gets low and it blows my idiot lights will come on after the big noise. I kind of hope it does let go, I would bee looking at a blown 6.0 then. I actually went to TRD here in So Cal to look into the Toyota pushrod V8, with the external oil pump it won't fit without some frame mods.