LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:19 pm 

Hello. About to pick up a 72 Luv, no dents, straight frame, 4 speed with a 4 cylinder (bad head gasket)...The engine isn't gonna stay in it so... curious on how much work is involved in putting a 350 in it. Yes, I do realize this is probably the most asked about topic on this page, but... Anybody that has the knowledge and passion on this topic and has some good advice on how to do it properly and, most importantly, on a budget...Please feel free to respond to me. Thanx. -IZ-

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:37 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Hi. This link is a good place to start.

http://www.luvtruck.com/pdf/EngSwap.pdf

Check out powerbyace.com - he has bolt-in mounts and headers.

It's not overly complicated. As far as engine swaps go, it's probably more straightforward than most.

The 72 rear has 4.56:1 gears. Depending on your goals, that may be steep for you. The S10 rear has 3.73s but then you have a 5 lug pattern in the back. ChevyToyR1 has a front hub redrill service that will match the front to the rear if you choose to go that route.

Speedway has a radiator that fits with a little work.

That should give you an idea of what you need to get started. Try the search button to see some specific builds. search.php

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:38 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I wouldn't say it's a weekend swap but with planning it's not as bad as some may think.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:49 am 

Wait... 456 gears in a 72 ??? She is a 4cyl engine, 4 speed manual,...all original. You tellin me that that rear end will hold 600+HP ??? Maybe I'm confused or missing something here but, 456 gears stock in a 72 LUV ? This thing turns 9400 RPMs all night, I do realize that I cant maintain that on the streets, without being stopped everyday or slowly killing the motor by trying to limp it around at 2500(rpms)...would love to find the perfect trans/rear end combo that makes it safe while still keeping it Crazy Stupid Fun ! That's my objective for this truck. Well...that and, the occasional pony car owners that try to pick a lil fight. Tee Hee Hee 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:33 am 
Addicted to LUV

The stock rears hold up to 300hp as long as you don't get hooked up too well, but the 4.56 is the killer for the street. Mine would be screaming at 45 mph with the stock rear and a 307. I first swapped in a 3.42 from an 81 Luv but eventually went with a Ford 9 inch with a 3.0 gear. I find it to be perfect for me. It will cruise on the freeway and still spin the tires any time you want it to.

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:11 pm 

Nice. I figure its gonna be a min before I get everything I need, but, Id like to be informed and have a plan before I jump into it.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:22 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Yeah, I was referring to the gear ratio, not the hp rating. 4.56:1 gears ratio in the rear = a real screamer at 55 mph.

If you're seriously making 650 hp, a 9" rear is the way most people would go. You can have any ratio you choose at that point.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:27 pm 

I knew u were talking ratio, I've just usually heard of those being used on the track (1/4 mile), was never sure how streetable that tall of a gear would do in traffic. When I had that engine in my dually it had 411s in it and that thing was a monster ! I am wanting to take it apart and try to get a build sheet and a dyno on it so I know exactly what I'm playing with. The original builder says its 625HP @ 9400rs. She does have a huge range between gears but I didn't have a tach at the time so, part of my question on gears is to see if I can get away with driving it without having to keep her at 7-8000rs all the time. I've heard that running this type of engine at too low of an rpm could actually do more damage to the engine.