LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: LS Swap?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:39 pm 
da LUV masta

Has anyone done an LS swap yet? Kinda of curious...if you used the aluminum block version the weight would be so better for the suspension an the handling would improve. I know there are controller kits for the ignition and for the fuel injection.

Post subject: Re: LS Swap?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:09 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Yes.

Go to powerbyace.com
Engine and trans mounts available

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:06 pm 
da LUV masta

Thanks for the website... but I was looking for actual input from someone who has done it. Did a search and it came up with parts swap not engine swap.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:01 pm 
Addicted to LUV

This one comes to mind viewtopic.php?t=19337

But he did a LOT more than your average gearhead.

I can't think of anyone else who has done it off the top of my head. With the proper mounts, I'd imagine it wouldn't be harder than a regular sbc swap.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:56 pm 
Addicted to LUV

There was a red truck on here somewhere as well...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:33 pm 

I've been considering doing this. I have two 5.3s. I want to do a twin turbo setup but doubt there is enough room to do it the way I want. I contacted power by ace about a year ago for some parts. They wouldn't take a credit card and wanted a money order for payment. It made me decide to order my headers from summit for convenience.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:30 pm 

Ive done it its a pretty straight forward swap i did not use an aluminum block price out weighs the weight factor to me plus iron blocks hold up to more.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:14 pm 

I'm in the process of doing a 5.3 iron block with a pair of turbos. Tons of room once you massage the inner fenders!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:17 pm 
da LUV masta

cleaver wrote:
Has anyone done an LS swap yet? Kinda of curious...if you used the aluminum block version the weight would be so better for the suspension an the handling would improve. I know there are controller kits for the ignition and for the fuel injection.

I just posted about the LS1/4l60e going into the LUV. It's in a 01 Pontiac Formula. I have seen A.C.E. Automotive Component Engineering on here for years, so I'm getting the mounts from him. The guy knows his stuff. I just got a Postal Money Order with my debit card, and sent it to him yesterday. Before he can send the kit, I had to find out how many bolts were holding the tail shaft on, which determines which transmission mount comes with it. If it's four bolts, it's an older model, if it's six bolts, it's a newer model. OK, so mine was six. I will be sending in a few pictures during the build, hopefully explaining everything well enough. I'm not anticipating any problems, other than the same problems you encounter putting a small block in a Luv. The engine aluminum, so the it will be about 80 pounds lighter, the transmission is the same size as the 700r4. Just getting it running and driving for now is the goal. I bought a harness from Howell Engine Developments because he worked for GM, and was one of the first to make them, if not the first. I plan to alter the gas tank to hold the GM 55 psi fuel pump, and fuel lines. If not it will be a fuel cell, but I want it to look stock, so we'll see. Look out HotRod80. :-)

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:02 pm 
da LUV masta

deathtrap72 wrote:
I've been considering doing this. I have two 5.3s. I want to do a twin turbo setup but doubt there is enough room to do it the way I want. I contacted power by ace about a year ago for some parts. They wouldn't take a credit card and wanted a money order for payment. It made me decide to order my headers from summit for convenience.

The guy at ACE won't talk to you on the phone, and he does want a money order. I had heard good things about the company, so I ordered. They got here in just a few days, well packaged and look good. Will find out in a week or two how they work, but I don't see anything that looks like a problem.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:27 pm 
da LUV masta

The 5.3 LS block is a little shorter than a sbc, and the LS 5.3 complete engine, is 55 pounds lighter than a 350 complete engine. I have seen trucks with nothing done to them after a V8 is installed, or you can adjust the torsion bars, or remove them and reinforce the shock towers. After that it's Mustang II front end, or you can go as far as you and your wallet can stretch. From Fat Man Fabrications to Chris Allston's Chassisworks complete front end, with the Wilwood brakes and air/shocks or Varishocks with the separate holding tank. I'm going to see what I run into, while getting mine running. Some input on this would be very helpful.