LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 4x4 drive shaft question
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:53 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

one of my many projects for this truck is to junk all the non working parking brake levers,brackets and cables, and install a Lokar single pot mechanical disc brake caliper, operating on a 1/4" thick rotor either bolted to the rear shaft yoke or welded to it. Can the all stock 79 drive shaft be slid forward into the rear of the transmission that 1/4",allowing for just some longer bolts to make it work?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:23 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Is it a one-piece shaft? If so the drive shaft splines move in & out of the tailpiece slightly as the rear suspension articulates and the distance between the axle and the transmission changes. You'll have to install a slip joint in the shaft to retain this movement if you fix the front yoke position within a caliper.
I don't recall anything to bolt a caliper to on the back of the t-case.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:58 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Thanks for the input. Yes,it's a one piece shaft. I'm planning to install the rotor on the diff. end though,not the trans end. Sorry for the confusion. I just hope to remove the 4 bolts back by the u-joint,slide the shaft forward,into the trans,slip in the rotor and replace the bolts with 4 new,longer ones. I'll build a bracket on the diff to anchor the caliper..[in my mind]
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:57 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

One half of the bolt-together flange has a socket, the other has a matching protrusion. This centers the connection, not the bolts. You'll need to extend this centering function through the rotor or you'll have severe wobble.
You don't say the diameter of the rotor but nearly half of it will stick down below the rear differential. This will almost eliminate any off road clearance.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:12 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

thanks for the info. when the disc is made, I can't imagine it will more than 2" or so bigger than the yoke. It's only a parking brake. Happy Thanksgiving