LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:27 am 

Ok so ive seen pages saying you cant put a 350 in a 4x4 luv and keep it 4x4 I want to know if thats true and if it isn't then is there a Complete guide on how to do it while keeping it 4wd. I want a 350 but will not sacrifice my 4wd to do so pleeeease help :econfused

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:10 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

The big problems are:
-the 350 oil pan won't clear the front drive axle
-the front driveshaft won't clear the oil pan/bell housing
-there is no adapter to mate the stock tranny/t-case to a 350
-the stock 8-bolt front/10-bolt rear won't last long under the 350 power in low 4WD, neither would the tranny/t-case if there were a mating adapter

For a V8 4x4 LUV the best method is to start with a 2wd, then add the v8 & matching 4wd tranny/t-case along with front & rear straight axles strong enough to handle the power. The big problem with this method is that only Toyota axles are even close to matching the original track, all others will stick way out past the body.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:51 pm 

Okay thank you for all the info thats the most information ive been able to get on it. Ive been searching for it for months too. Do you know if an easier motor swap that wouldnt have all the clearance issues and what not doesnt have to be v8 could be anything really I just want something stronger so i can actually have fun 4wheeling

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:29 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

The only thing that will bolt to your stock tranny is another Isuzu 4 cylinder. Using the right parts you should be able to fit a carb'd 4ZE1 2.6, which will produce about 50% more horsepower & torque than your stock engine. Add a cam, headers & boost the compression and get maybe another 25 hp. There are certain GM V6s that could probably be made to work but require a matching tranny & are FI, so a lot more work.