LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Street light bandit.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 am 
Addicted to LUV

I am think of making my new 75 stock step side Luv into a street light bandit. I don't want a full race truck, just something to play with the kiddies with a Mustang, a Camaro or such that think they are hot shit. I know it if they are most of the time. I can not break they bank doing this. Must be legal in Texas, Where I live. all the look at are the lights, brakes, and the normal things.. No tailpipe or thing the big city boys may have to go through. Engine does not matter.

Question what can use for this?. I would like to keep the luv rear end if possible. Gas mileage does not matter.

Thoughts? Ideas?

I had to go back and fix my Texan talk....

Post subject: Re: Street light bandit.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:19 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

May be a little out of your budget. My 1980 Luv truck has a 1987 Buick Grand National turbo v6 with 2004R overdrive transmission using the stock luv rear end set up with 3:73 gears and a Isuzu impulse LSD diff installed for posi traction. The truck is stupid fast and a perfect sleeper. The exhaust is not loud at all until I uncork the exhaust cut out. Then it is time for business. Like I said this may be out of your budget, but gives some ideas.
The luv truck is very light so just installing a 3.8 Buick v6 n/a motor or a Chevy 4.3 v6 is a huge gain without a lot of weight over the noise of suspension. There is all kinds of aftermarket goodies to make these v6 engines fast. Just my 2 cents.
Mike.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:45 pm 
Addicted to LUV

How are the electronics for this swap? I know the turbo engine was available earlier, but the electronics could be very much the same. I think there maybe several Buick swaps swaps on here. The Isuzu impulse LSD diff would be a good idea. The factory gear set would not be a problem for what I want. If it was not a GN the price would be better but I have no idea on price.

I do have another 75 Luv that has a v8 and stuff, but it is mostly a bracket race car now, but is still street legal.... But I can not hide what it is. :lol:

If I did not want the 200r4 I could always us a BOP th350 transmission .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:33 am 
Addicted to LUV

In doing some searches I see in general the LSx engines are the hot combo. Depending on what someone is installing it in and what the use is. Still a lot of people are doing a LSx engine. Like the move from SBC to BBC...

Junk Yard engines seem to cost 4.8 $250 and 5.3 some what more. Twice the price.. A full package would be best if someone was doing that.

Still the SBC would be the easiest, may not be the cheapest. Good SBC salvage engines in a good or ready to run may not exist any more...

Anyone?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:27 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The ls engines are definitely modern version of dropping a SBC in whatever had wheels
I have heard good things about the 5.3s and you could keep it quiet enough at idle to still run it like a sleeper

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:24 pm 
Addicted to LUV

4.8 does not seem to have as big following as the 5.3 BUT it seems like a lot of people have been sold 4.8 as a 5.3....

I do sometimes like to be the weird duck. I looked at 2.2 ecotec, which I have in a car. Looked at the GM V6 that has 300 hp. The supercharged GM V6, the turbo engine from a Saturn Sky... But on some twist and turns or cost is not reasonable enough to do.

The 5.3 is looking better but, if I have to spend money on heads, valve train, cam and ? I am not sure what would be the most bang for my buck and what I want it for.

My orange truck was not much of a sleeper and most did not want to play.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:25 pm 
Addicted to LUV

How much power are you looking for? And what is the ideal budget? All the engines you listed would be pretty fun. Wide range of possible headaches with the ecotec wiring but the same.can be said.about certain ls swaps. My moms.grand prix gtx has the ls4 5.3 with the part time 4 cylinder setup and it is a hell of an engine in stock form. 323 lbft. Its a big heavy car but stock times said to be in the 14s

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:37 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Well enough to do well in first and second... No 1/8 mile or real street racing even. We have a large university close by and they have a lot of cars their parents buy.. Flows, cone filters and such. A few cars with mods but that is more locals.

Budget... Looking for a salvage engine and transmission. We are talking $1000-$1500. More that I might as well build a SBC combo and be done with it... I can find former race car parts or project engines and go with a 383 or 406. Turbo 350 or PG.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:53 am 
Addicted to LUV

I would be willing to bet you could find a good SBC somebody swapped for an ls engine for dirt cheap