LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:06 pm 

Hello all.

my 1.8's oil dipstick is leaking out of the top, enough that I am losing a quart maybe every 100 miles. I thought this was a problem with the rear main seal and oil pan gasket, however today I added some UV leak detector and found oil running out of the oil dipstick when the engine is running.

Did the dipsticks come with an oil ring to seal them up in the tube? Or were they suppose to just fit tightly enough inside? I am trying to think of ways to seal this up. I could put silicone on it, but looking for a better fix.

thanks all!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:39 pm 

I found the PCV system was plugged, the line going from the valve cover to the lower engine block was plugged... after blowing on it, it freed up. I am going to replace the PCV valve as well, pretty sure this was the cause of the oil leak.

I would like to secure the dipstick in better, it does not fit in very well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:06 pm 

I am still trying to figure out this dipstick oil leaking problem. I got some oil dye, and a UV flashlight(amazon $2.50!). I replaced the PC valve today, it started leaking again out of the dipstick tube after the engine started warming up. I cleaned off the tube to be sure, but yep I can see the die with the UV light and it comes oozing out of the tube.

Question: The crankcase breather vacum lin thing that runs off the bottom right side of the engine, intake side. Where is this suppose to go to? When I got my truck, it was going up to the valve cover on the carb side, in front of the carb. After doing some reading about this tonight on this site, I am seeing some people ran that line from the crankcase up to a vacum port on their Weber carbs. Where is this line suppose to go to? I am thinking maybe this line is in the wrong spot, causing this problem. Strange too, I have not had really an oil leaking problem until this fall, and been driving with this line from the crankcase up to the valve cover the 1.5 years I have driven my truck. I work from home though, so I do not drive much.

Thanks all!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:13 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

You don't say which 1.8 engine you have. If you have the G180Z I might can help on the emissions questions, if the earlier model G180 then I can't. If you have the G180Z I think you may have the PCV system hooked up wrong.
Do a compression check (or better yet a leakdown test), a broken ring can allow excessive backpressure into the crankcase & even blow the dipstick partially out of the tube.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:53 am 

Its a 180z. I think I have it figured out, the crankcase breather tube was in the wrong spot. I pulled it off, and it is not leaking now... but I have not driven it much to test yet, I will tonight after work. I am planning to just put the crankcase breather to a filter, use a small one like a harley davidson crankcase breather. Going to probably remove the PCV valve as well, put in a breather. I do not have emissions tests where I live, nor inspections. This is my plan for tomorrow anyways, I work all day during the daylight hours right now.

I am not sure where that crankcase breather tube was suppose to go on a stock motor. One of the vacum ports on the intake? I actually cut those off and sealed them up. I could put it to the smaller vacum port on my weber. This is why I am thinking just using the breather filters.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:56 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

See the attached for the hose routing. You can substitute a small breather filter for the large hose that comes from the air cleaner into the rear top of the valve cover, but I would not disable the PCV system, you will get oil vapor seepage from crankcase pressure through the filter(s) or the dipstick tube.
The PCV "valve" on a G180Z is not a valve, it's a regulated orifice that only needs to be kept clean & open, so I'm not sure how or why you "changed it". The hose hookup is on the center of the intake below the carb where vacuum then pulls filtered air into the top back of the valve cover while expelling crankcase vapors (including fuel vapors if the line into the oil pan is connected properly) into the fuel/air stream to be burned. If the fuel vapor line into the oil pan is not connected properly plug the oil pan connection or the PCV will suck unfiltered air into the crankcase. If you're running a Weber you may not have the fuel return system functional.
You also need a good strong vacuum to the distributor advance, but not much else.
I hope you have noticed the oil level does not indicate properly the first time you pull the dipstick- you have to reinsert it & remove it a second time or the oil level will read low. Make sure the oil level is not too high, this will also cause oil seepage.

Attachments:
G180Z Emissions 001.jpg
G180Z Emissions 001.jpg [ 337.53 KiB | Viewed 4656 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:44 pm 

I was getting oil seapage out of the dipstick tube, I pulled off the crankcase breather line(that was attached to the valve cover for some reason) and that stopped the oil from leaking. I still have that crankcase breather hose on the motor, just pulled it off of the valve cover... think the kid who had the pickup before me put it there for some reason I do not know. I am not using a fuel return line either, got that plugged off. I just plan to put the crankcase breather line to a filter, and probably still use the PCV system. The pickup when I got it had a PCV valve on it on the valve cover, if they did not come with one then I will remove it... my '87 BMW was like this, a hose from the valve cover straight to the intake manifold with no valve. I just pulled the PCV valve that was on it off and replaced it at the auto parts store, I have no problems removing this and have a straight through hose.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:01 pm 

So that crankcase breather line, since I do not have a fuel return system. You suggest to just plug it up?

What is the little hose fitting on the carb side of the valve cover suppose to go? Is that the line you mean is suppose to go to the fittings bellow the carb on the intake manifold? I did cut off and plug those holes... I do have a secondary vacuum port on the weber, near where the vacuum advance line goes... could I put it there if needed?

I am going to remove the PCV valve tomorrow, and run it straight to the air cleaner on the carb. I may put a breather filter on it, not sure yet, depends on how it does tomorrow.

Yep I noticed that about the dipstick, have to pull it out clean it and then check it again for a proper measurement. I use to run expensive lawn mowers at a golf course, we had to do the same thing.