LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Weber Re-Jet
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:27 pm 

First I am not a mechanic and did not use any sensors to re-jet my carb. Everything was by sight, sound, smell, and feel. Also my Luv had the Weber on it when I bought it so it's a little worn and temperamental.

What I have

79 4x4
G200 Block with flat pistons
G180 head shaved .015
1.9 cam (not sure if its different from the 1.8)
Offy intake
Pacesetter header
2 1/2 inch pipe all the way back
Magnaflow cat and muffler (no other emissions) but the cat does give a little back pressure that helps smooth the idle.
Distributor from an 84 Pup.
NGK plugs for a 1.9 Pup gapped at 40
Stock 4 Speed Trans

For those that may not know and want to replace the filter that comes with the Weber this one fits perfect K&N E-3952 found here http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... rod=E-3952 using this http://www.knfilters.com/search/universal.aspx
The stock filter really did not work well here in the desert, I was constantly cleaning the fuel bowl.

Like everyone says, the most important thing to make sure everything works correctly and is key to getting the Weber to work smoothly. Fuel pressure, float level and no vacuum leaks. Any of these will cause serious amounts of frustration and waste a lot of fuel. I bought a Re-Jet kit from Redline and basically took the time to run up and down through jets and air correctors till I found the balance between economy and performance. So far it has been well worth it.

Current Jets

Primary Idle 75 screw is at just under 1 3/4 out
Secondary Idle 60
Main Jet 147
Main Air Corrector 190
Secondary 145
Secondary Air Corrector 180
Pump Jet 155 single
Fuel pressure at 2 1/2
Float level at 40 instead of 41, not sure why but it works better on this worn out Weber.

Acceleration is good and smooth all the way through, and when you hit it a little more the LUV really kicks at about 2300 then again at about 4000. I try to baby it since I have no idea what the mileage is on the engine itself but compression is good with 150 to 160 on all cylinders. Spark plugs have that nice golden brownish color. Also you can tell when it's rich because the exhaust pitch gets deeper. When its lean the pitch gets higher.

Driving casually and keeping the foot outa the pedal I still get 25 to 30 mpg. Highway sucks because speed limit is 65 but at a about 1/4 pedal it holds 3000 rpm, and a touch more pedal and it accelerates really nice, of course the temp gauge creeps up a little, mainly because of the higher compression I think.

Also replaced that little c clip for the choke, got tired of removing and putting it back on, so I picked up a Hitch Pin Clip 5/32 (external)from Home Depot, works great because you can pull it off by hand and it won't rattle off.

Hope this info helps.

Side note, I usually try to avoid highway driving and when I do have to I'll only go about 60ish alot of times even though 70 or 75 is doable, just don't like the engine straining to much.

Post subject: Re: Weber Re-Jet
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:37 pm 

A few more things I learned while tuning the LUV.

If you have the Offy intake you can run the PCV hose from the valve cover and get a small brass hose connector to screw into the Offy to get a little manifold vacuum, also if you notice on the stock intake the PCV hose attaches to a tube that has a hole that is very small, less than a 1/16 of an inch. So on the brass fitting going into the Offy you may want to crimp the end to restrict the vacuum pull to achieve something close to stock. This way you are not pulling to much vacuum which could pull oil into the intake and also helps balance the pressure in the engine.

A couple ways to tell if you float level is to high or you have to much fuel pressure. With the engine at idle look down into the Weber, if you see fuel dripping or seeping into the throttle body the float may be a little high or too much fuel pressure. I was using a bypass on my Weber but finally just got a cheap Mr. Gasket pressure regulator, made a huge difference all around. Eventually I'll replace it with a better fuel pump and regulator.

If you have excessive fuel leaking from the top gasket on the carb, not necessarily dumping fuel out but more like it is constantly moist with fuel. Again float level may be high or too much pressure.

I hope this helps some of the non-posters or anybody who may be having trouble getting tuned properly. Like I said before I am not a mechanic but I have tinkered with my semi rough worn out Weber quite a bit and have got her running with decent performance and fuel economy. I'll post more later if anyone is interested, bit tired now from pulling parts off an 86 Trooper :ebiggrin

I need to correct a statement above on my float level, it's actually at 42 not 40 sorry about that.