LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:12 pm 

I have a 77 luv that a friend and I bagged several years ago. The original 1.8 is completely shot. I've heard about the 350 swap and found a step by step guideline on here saying what all to order and how to do it etc. however I don't have a 350 or tranny to put in yet. I've also heard a lot of guys going with the Buick 231 v6 but have not been able to find any direction as to how to do it or where to get motor mount kits , etc. from. I've come across an '85 bonneville with 60k miles on a 231 that's in it running smooth.
Basically my question is where can I find info and/or kit for 231 swap?
Will I come out cheaper if I spend $1200 on the bonneville and yanking motor and tranny out of it than trying to find 350motor and tranny?
Does anyone have an idea what the total cost of either swap would be having someone else do it all?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:05 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The Buick would be somewhat easier to fit room wise. The small block has more cool factor. Powerbyace has kits for the small block. Not sure but he might have the Buick mounts. Worth a shot...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:56 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Most people who have done the Buick 3.8 swap wish they had done the sbc swap instead. The cost to do either swap is similar. If you're on a budget, a 305 swaps just like a 350, and you'll be set up for a 350 later if you decide to upgrade.

powerbyace has mounts for the 4.3 and v8s only. No 3.8 mounts.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:09 pm 
Feel the Steel

drummerforhire wrote:
Most people who have done the Buick 3.8 swap wish they had done the sbc swap instead.

:signiagree

RIP R.J.B.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:47 am 

Thanks. I was thinking the 350 would be the better route. I plan on going with the "beer budget" guidelines when I have the money. Anyone have an idea how much cash the labor would run me?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:28 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

By the time you pay someone to do it you can buy all the tools and do it yourself. I got so tired of having my cars in "chassis jail" I taught myself to do the work. The funny thing is I will probably get it done quicker.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:39 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I don't think any shop could give you a solid price on labor. On custom jobs it takes what it takes. Problems will arise and will have to be taken care of. I don't remember how much time I had doing my swap. I did mine and pulled the cab and bed to do the back half, the complete build was just over a month including the rear frame tubbing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:06 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Junkyard LS motors out of chevy pick ups are getting real popular. The old 350 blocks are getting harder to find.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:45 pm 

Sorry to resurect an old thread, I recently bought a 79 short bed with the Buick V6 conversion. They used to sell the kits for this swap but they are nearly impossible to find now. The LUV I bought was probably built in the early 80s, someone spent a WAD of cash on this truck. It sat for better than a decade, maybe more. It is totally rust free, and has an L88 (RARE!!!) fiberglass hood on it. It has a 5 lug conversion and an S10 rear axle too.
The Buick is an even fire 231, it has headers(!) designed for this conversion - too bad somone wrapped them. They are rotted every where there was wrap. I plan on rebuilding them using stainless tube from several sets of junk headers.
As far as the engine swap goes, it offers plenty of room in the engine area. It looks factory fit, and has plenty of torque. It is pretty much stock, I plan to do some performance mods. As you know, there are plenty of Grand Nationals that are super quick. This is basically the same power plant...
Hooker still sells the transmission adapter that bolts to the crossmember, (Jegs/Summit) and the engine mounts aren't too complex. It is as easy as the Small Block swap, just not as much power. If you bolt in an S10 axle, the S10 driveshaft is a bolt in. You also have many choices of gear ratios and the 98 to 05 Blazers have disc brakes and a rear sway bar.
Here's a pic of a disc brake Blazer posi in my 1980 Luv with a 350 SBC:

Side view:

Not meaning to jack this thread, but it was sort of dead...

Edit:
I found a pic of the 79 underside.

You can see the bolt on transmission mount, the deep pan, headers and I don't know why, but a custom oil pan that was gold irridited.
Everything on my 79 is custom made or quality fabricated.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:45 pm 
Addicted to LUV

It is mostly what you want. Some of the v6 guys are happy and others wish they did. I think the V6 may get a little better fuel mileage than the V8. I remember a few messages with a gut who did a V6. The guy I bought my newest truck from had a picture on his wall of all the trucks he and later as a father son projects. One was a V6 with a supercharger sticking out of the hood. He said that is the truck they raced more than any of the other ones. He must of built at least a dozen trucks.

More and more LSx engines are becoming available ans seem to be the engines of choice in swaps in other things. The good old sbc has seem to lost to them in a lot of folks. The argument is it is easier for a LSx and cheaper to get horse power our of them with the LSx than a SBC. Don't look to me on a LSx engine, I have never owned one in anything. I have had a lot of SBC and BBC. Pontiac also.

Powerbyace shows some LSx engine swap mounts on their site and headers, V6 and V8. The owner is a member of this site. We have had members that have done just about any swap you can think of. Rotary engine, Big Block Buick and 4 sp. Toyota, and so one. I think Honda's are the exception as the engine turns backward from most engines. So look around use the search is your friend or ask. Looks like you are off to a good start with 2 Luvs.

Welcome aboard. You can post a intro in the intro section

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:48 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I LUV to tell honda owners that there engines run backwards. Although I've built some SB/BB chevy's that also ran backward.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:51 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

As to the cost V6 vs V8, you can look and try to find a old 283 engine for gas milage. Stock makes more HP than V6 and equal gas milage. You also don't have to deal with the oil pan on the chevy as you do on the V6.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:55 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Old Rob is right in a lot of ways. Small valves help too. You do not want to use large valves. I think most of them used 1.72/1.50. The small valves and small factory intake manifold keep the fuel speed up. This is a good thing.

I do not remember gas mileage on old 283's, but a 2004r or 7004r would get good gas mileage with a stock rear end. Just be careful on what gear ratio you use with this engine if you are doing a rear end swap and a overdrive transmission.

It may take a little looking to find a good 283. A 307 or a 305 might be easier to find.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:57 pm 

I've ran a 283 small block Chevy in my LUV for many years. It was a peppy little motor and was able to achieve 25 mpg on some road trips. I was running a Turbo 350 transmission and 3.23 gears in a Chrysler 8 3/4 rear end. I wonder what mpg I could have knocked down with the overdrive of the 200R4 or a 700R4.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:06 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I think I've still got a couple. 305 would be good, a little more torque. Run the 700R4 or 4L60 trannys as they have a 3:06 first gear.