LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Compatible head bolts?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:39 am 

I think this has been asked before, my apologies... just its late tonight and I have been searching this forum with no luck. In my 1980 luv, I have one stripped cylinder head bolt... the allen part at the top is stripped, not in the block. I stripped it when I was doing the third head bolt torque check on the head after replacing the head gasket this winter. When I did that third torque check, no bolts required any more torque. Anyways, I stripped the allen head... so I need a replacement. I know some of the bigger Isuzu engines use the same head bolts, but I cannot remember which ones. Was it the 2.3 in a 1986 trooper? One of those is sitting at a junk yard near me. Anyways any help is appreciated.

Any other parts I should look at on that 86 trooper? The fan is shot, the fan shroud is there though... I was thinking about upgrading to a fan clutch set up. Is the 5sp tranny/transfer case the 5 speed I want?

Been driving my Luv for a year now, besides blowing the head gasket due to me not checking the headbolt torque, all has been great. I threw a pertronix coil and magnetic pickup on it this winter, that with the weber carb makes the motor run so well. I also decked the head .001 is it? ten thousands... that was a noticeable improvement as well. Good mileage, always fires up, great little pickup. Even taken my little 4x4 to Burning Man last year, and its going again this year!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:11 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

1.8, 1.9, 2.3 & 2.6 all use the same head bolt, or you can get a new set at someplace like headbolts.com.
When you install the bolts make sure the hole is clean & dry (no oil pooled in the bottom, it can give a false torque reading) and the bolts are clean an lightly oiled.
The fan on a 2.3 is offset to the side of the engine a bit more than on a 1.8, plus the radiator on a Trooper is probably bigger than on your truck, so the Trooper shroud won't be a bolt-on but it might be modified to fit your truck. Aftermarket fan clutches are available if you can find the 7-blade 15" blade section that came on AC-equipped vehicles.
The tranny/t-case is exactly what you want, cut out the Trooper support crossmember also, it will give you a good starting point on fabricating a relocated crossmember in your truck. The Trooper front driveshaft should be a direct fit with the new tranny. Get the Trooper rear shaft also, you need the slip yoke to mate to the shortened rear shaft. The Trooper has 4.56 gears, your truck has 4.10s, it's a lot of work to swap the front third member but both 3rds will fit your truck if you want the taller gears.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:23 pm 

Thanks for all the good info.

I may try to get the transmission/transfer case and other parts this winter. Does sound like quite a bit to change all this out. Would be nice to have a 5 speed, the 4 speed does not do to bad though. Its not like I do a lot of highway driving.